88' coolant reservoir - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 88' coolant reservoir

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
beerto11
1994 YJ Wrangler 

88' coolant reservoir

hey my cousin has an 88' cherokee 4.0l. (i have a wrangler) and he is having problems with the cap and also the tank for his coolant. he has replaced both of the 3 times but the tank cracks out and the cap gets warm and worps and doesn't seal anymore. just wondering if anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix. all answers are greatly appreciated thanks

beerto11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
RBxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

As far as I know everyone has or will have this problem. I have two 90 XJs and have converted them both to an open system. Either replace the radiator with a later model that has a fill neck, or install a fill neck in the top hose. Block off the pressure bottle and re-plumb it as an overflow tank or just get and aftermarket overflow.
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
beerto11
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i kinda figured that was the answer i was going to get lol. i'm trying to talk him into doing a radiator swap but he is kinda stubborn. i think we are going to fab a tank for it though. hopefuly we get it fixed. thanks for the info.
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Part of the problem with the renix bottles is that the hood can put pressure on the cap and eff up the threads. Moving the bottle's metal shelf down a half inch can help. Using a volvo cap and bottle might work better as well. As a quickfix, a hose clamp around the car can squeeze (get it? ha ha...) a bit more life out of it.

Personally, I just converted to a full open system using a caravan coolant bottle and a 1991 radiator. The temp sensor for the efan is plumbed to the heater core hoses.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
beerto11
1994 YJ Wrangler 

haha ya we actually have done that hose clamp before. this last time we tried to siliconed the entire cap on but that didn't work out as planned.
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerto11 View Post
haha ya we actually have done that hose clamp before. this last time we tried to siliconed the entire cap on but that didn't work out as planned.
The cap is supposed to let air out, so I can see that being a less than great solution.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Bleed or Quit.
Unread 03-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
keane1234

I have the same problem i was wondering if a radiator for a 93 xj will fit with a radiator cap i have been looking at the specs they look almost the exact same anybody done this or have info bout doing this ???? Thankyou in advance
keane1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keane1234 View Post
I have the same problem i was wondering if a radiator for a 93 xj will fit with a radiator cap i have been looking at the specs they look almost the exact same anybody done this or have info bout doing this ???? Thankyou in advance
A 93 rad should fit. You may need to clearance the area around the neck for some brands of rad. I think mine was a koyorad and it fit with no mods. I'm running a 16lb cap on it.

Quote:
Bleed or Quit.
Unread 03-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

You can't just plop a 93 radiator in there without changing the SYSTEM. Search OPEN SYSTEM.

Get rid of the pressure bottle and the RENIX heater valve, put in an OVERFLOW bottle.
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #10
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post
You can't just plop a 93 radiator in there without changing the SYSTEM. Search OPEN SYSTEM.

Get rid of the pressure bottle and the RENIX heater valve, put in an OVERFLOW bottle.
Actually, you can. It'd be kinda dumb since the weak link would still be the pressure bottle. But yes, just dropping in a 93 rad would be a complete functional cooling system.

Until the pressure drops and it sucks in air.

Quote:
Bleed or Quit.
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
keane1234

yea i plan on adding a resevoir to it making a open system thanks guys
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
keane1234

yea i plan on adding a resevoir to it making a open system thanks guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.