88 Cherokee 4.0 miss - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 88 Cherokee 4.0 miss

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 99551 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
98jgc
2005 WK 

88 Cherokee 4.0 miss

Hi there

Hope you have suggestions for this one:
Lately occasionally the engine totally loses power for approx 1 second, then runs on. It doesn't happen every day, maybe one out of five days, but more and more. It's always 1-3 miles from start, so it's not when it's very cold, neither when it's hot, but during warm up. Sometimes it happens during acceleration or driving, sometimes during idling (then it stalls and need to be restarted)

I've tried to have it idling and wiggle all wires and vacuum lines etc., no result.

Any suggestions are welcome.

98jgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

May sound like a broken record with this response, but what is the status of all tuneup hardware?

Fresh Champion plugs gapped to .035, new quality plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, and fuel filter.

Gotta be sure that is good before looking elsewhere (testing fuel pressure, testing engine management sensors and egr, etc).
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
98jgc
2005 WK 

Thanks for input. Plugs are new, the rest not. I would say though that it doesn't feel like that kind of miss, you know the occasional one cylinder. It's total loss of power.

But I'll start there if I don't get other suggestions. Thanks
Unread 08-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
crzmn1
1998 ZJ 

i had a similar problem with my wifes 93 xj it turned out to be the throttle body needed cleaned due to black soot, so i tore it apart and cleaned it now it runs fine you might check that too
crzmn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
98jgc
2005 WK 

I've cleaned that earlier, because it would stall at a red light when in 4wd and turning the steering wheel. Helped a lot. Just redid it as you suggest, we'll see...
Unread 08-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Never a bad idea.....
------------------------------------------------

The Idle Air Control (IAC) is mounted on the back of the throttle body. (front for 87-90) The valve controls the idle speed of the engine by controlling the amount of air flowing through the air control passage. It consists of a stepper motor that moves a pintle shaped plunger in and out of the air control passage. When the valve plunger is moved in, the air control passage flows more air which raises the idle speed. When the valve plunger is moved out, the air control passage flows less air which lowers the idle speed. Over time and miles, the IAC can get carboned up which can have an adverse affect on idle quality. Cleaning the IAC may restore proper function and is an easy procedure to perform and good preventive maintenance so it is never a bad idea.

CLEANING THE JEEP 4.0 IDLE AIR CONTROL

Remove the air filter cover, associated hoses and the rubber boot that goes from the air filter cover to the throttle body. Remove the IAC with a torx driver (2 bolts; one can be kind of hard to get to)

“Gently” wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body. Gasket on the IAC can be re-used if it is not damaged

Clean the IAC with a spray can of throttle body cleaner; inexpensive and available at any place that sells auto parts. Throttle body cleaner is recommended rather than carburetor cleaner as it is less harsh, safe for throttle body coatings and is best for this task. Use cleaner, a rag and a toothbrush and or Q-Tips. Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle that protrudes from the IAC as it is fragile and you could damage it.

Thoroughly spray clean and flush where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same spray cleaner

It is also a good idea to clean the entire throttle body itself, the butterfly valve inside of the throttle body and all associated linkage as long as you have things disassembled

Reinstall IAC and check idle quality
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.