87-88 XJ axles and possible future owner. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 87-88 XJ axles and possible future owner.

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-13-2002, 04:39 PM   #1
smitzer

87-88 XJ axles and possible future owner.

I am looking to buy a jeep currently and read that some 87 and 88 XJ's came with D44 axles. What is an easy way that I can tell if the jeeps I look at have this axle? The answer to this might be obvious, but I have yet to look at one and just want to know what to expect.

Also what other suggestions would you have for me? Are there any transmissions to avoid like I heard about the YJ's? Anything that I am forgetting? I plan to start looking at 4.0l 6's with 5speeds.

thanks for your help!
smitzer

smitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2002, 02:46 AM   #2
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The d44's would definitely be nice. I think they were included on the jeeps with the towing package so that may be one clue. You could also measure the axle tube? I'd post a pic or a link if I had one but sorry.

Going that old you will be stuck with the closed cooling system, unless the owner swapped it out already. But it shouldn't be too difficult to do.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2002, 12:57 PM   #3
smitzer

Great thanks.

Any other reasons one would want to select a later model xj? Has the engine/drivetrain stayed pretty consistant over the years?

Thanks
smitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2002, 01:11 PM   #4
jpcomanche

You'll want to stay away from the 89 and earlier 5-speeds. They used the Peugot BA-10/5, which is prone to failure. Mid-year in 89 the 5-speed was changed to the AX-15 which is a much better transmission.
If you are set on finding one with a D44 (good luck, they're out there but not many of them), go with the 4 speed auto. It's the AW4 and it's nearly bombproof behind the 4.0L.
jpcomanche is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.