8.25 trac lock install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 8.25 trac lock install

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
toyotaownsyou
1998 XJ Cherokee 

8.25 trac lock install?

just wondering if i were to install a new trac-lock assembly into my 29 spline 8.25 using the factory 3.55 gears, would the gears have to be set-up and spec'd out again or would it be ok to just throw it in there and go?

Last edited by toyotaownsyou; 03-22-2008 at 02:03 PM..
toyotaownsyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

As far as I know they can be fitted without removing the carrier so it doesn't mess with the mesh of the pinion and crown gear.

Theres a write up here - http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/cpa5oh/cpa5ohtech018.htm

Also read this for a few pointers on rebuilding in-situ - http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...build-how.html

I am about to do a rebuild of the trac-loc in my Dana 35 so I should know better soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Who's eric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrogHooah View Post
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!
sprintagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Rebuild the limited slip you already have in the the axle, or install an new limited slip carrier to replace your open differential ?

A rebuild just replaces the the worn limited slip clutches in the differential and it goes back in. Installing any new differential requires that the gears be properly set-up.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
toyotaownsyou
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Rebuild the limited slip you already have in the the axle, or install an new limited slip carrier to replace your open differential ?

A rebuild just replaces the the worn limited slip clutches in the differential and it goes back in. Installing any new differential requires that the gears be properly set-up.
what i was looking at was a complete new assembly with carrier and all to replace my open differential.....
Unread 03-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Installing any new differential requires that the gears be properly set-up.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads
  • trac lock or LSD - XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (5 replies)
  • Trac Lock - XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (6 replies)
  • trac-lock - XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (9 replies)
  • Trac lock - XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (4 replies)
  • Trac-Lock? - XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (3 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.