600 Dollars budget for lift kit - What to get? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 600 Dollars budget for lift kit - What to get?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
gutiaqp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

600 Dollars budget for lift kit - What to get?

Hello
I am in the market ready to buy my first lift kit for my 97 XJ

Budget:
I have around 600 budget for the kit

Driving conditions:
Mainly On road as a DD , lots of snow up here in the upper peninsula and maybe once or two times a year going to light mud terrain to off road.

I want your opinion, pros and cons, please

I was looking, searching, reading post, reviews and i know many people will say save some money and get a better one, other people will say customize it and will be better.

Option 1
RC - $ 600.00
3" Series II
Front: 3" lifted coil springs, lower control arms, and sway-bar drop brackets.
Rear: New rear springs
Shocks: Includes (4) RC N2.0 series shocks.

Option 2
Pro Comp - $ 575.00
3" Lift Kit with ES3000 Shocks
Included:
Front lift: coil springs, Front sway bar links, Lower link arms, Brake line extension brackets
Rear lift: Add-a-leafs
Shocks: front/rear ES3000 shocks

Option 3 - Here will come your opinion in what should i get, different brand kit, customize kit, etc

Thank you for answers
Have a great weekend!
Cheers

gutiaqp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Jeepinphily

I'm saving for the zone 3" kit. It's less than $600, made by BDS with mostly the same components. I've only seen good comments on the zone kits. Only $530 with nitro shocks. Good luck with the hunt
Jeepinphily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Morris 4X4 Center has 3" kits from ten manufacturers, so it's a descent place to get info:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-li...e-xj/index.htm

As for opinions on what to get, what ever kit you go with:
You may get drive line vibrations, so be prepared to add a T-case drop kit (cheap) or a SYE / Dbl Cardan drive shaft/shims (Not cheap but the right way to do it).
If you may want disconnect-able sway bar links.
Do you have tow hooks in front? Receiver hitch in the back? Skid plates (T-case at minimum)?
Shackle relocation brackets are something to consider, but they'll add up to 2" of lift in the rear...

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Fargo5757
2001 XJ Cherokee 

ive got a 3" rustys lift kit ($430 i think, + $100 shipping for me)

theyre the best for money
you can upgrade the spring rate for free (for bumpers and such) and their new leafs are great
the shocks arent great but im looking to upgrade in the future

i also recomend goodyear wrangler duratracs for the snow. its a great mud terrain tire and quiet till 70mph then they start to whine a bit.

ps dont forget the steering stabilizer only $35
Fargo5757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
gutiaqp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo5757 View Post
ive got a 3" rustys lift kit ($430 i think, + $100 shipping for me)

theyre the best for money
you can upgrade the spring rate for free (for bumpers and such) and their new leafs are great
the shocks arent great but im looking to upgrade in the future

i also recomend goodyear wrangler duratracs for the snow. its a great mud terrain tire and quiet till 70mph then they start to whine a bit.

ps dont forget the steering stabilizer only $35
Yeah i will get the Duratrac, i was reading that they are amazing in snow /ice conditions.

I saw the rusty kit: Rusty's XJ Cherokee 3" Spring Pack Lift Kit, but it does not come with the control arms? how much will be this? do i need new control arms at 3" ?

Thank you
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
gutiaqp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepinphily View Post
I'm saving for the zone 3" kit. It's less than $600, made by BDS with mostly the same components. I've only seen good comments on the zone kits. Only $530 with nitro shocks. Good luck with the hunt
I am checking on their webpage as well, thank you
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
gutiaqp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
Morris 4X4 Center has 3" kits from ten manufacturers, so it's a descent place to get info:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-li...e-xj/index.htm

As for opinions on what to get, what ever kit you go with:
You may get drive line vibrations, so be prepared to add a T-case drop kit (cheap) or a SYE / Dbl Cardan drive shaft/shims (Not cheap but the right way to do it).
If you may want disconnect-able sway bar links.
Do you have tow hooks in front? Receiver hitch in the back? Skid plates (T-case at minimum)?
Shackle relocation brackets are something to consider, but they'll add up to 2" of lift in the rear...

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Hello there, i was checking that site as well
At the beginning i wanted to go for a 4.5 but that involves a lot of modification other than the suspension lift kit, i will go for the T case drop kit, just because the SYE is around 240+ and is money that i do not have now.

I have a receiver hitch on the back and a aftermarket bully bumper on the front.

Thank you for your input

Cheers
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

More budget - since you will eventually want to go higher from 3" to 4.5" etc.

JK - for 600 you can get to 3" easily enough and most kits are very similar in ride quality, but if you plan on adding a bumper and winch, consider a spring with a higher rate to save sag and being too soft under extra weight.

Duratracs are outstanding in the packed snow and icy road conditions and do well in many offroad conditions, but are NOT a tough tire, and if you play in the rocks at all, the 2 ply sidewall can be a liability.

I know this first hand, as I put a branch through the sidewall when I had a set without much effort at all and tore a 2" hole. I also had them thru a pretty decent winter and the siping provides excellent lateral and braking traction.
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #9
gutiaqp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka View Post
More budget - since you will eventually want to go higher from 3" to 4.5" etc.

JK - for 600 you can get to 3" easily enough and most kits are very similar in ride quality, but if you plan on adding a bumper and winch, consider a spring with a higher rate to save sag and being too soft under extra weight.

Duratracs are outstanding in the packed snow and icy road conditions and do well in many offroad conditions, but are NOT a tough tire, and if you play in the rocks at all, the 2 ply sidewall can be a liability.

I know this first hand, as I put a branch through the sidewall when I had a set without much effort at all and tore a 2" hole. I also had them thru a pretty decent winter and the siping provides excellent lateral and braking traction.
Go to say cheers for your picture " Fix everything cable ties, PB blaster, tape and hammer" you make my day, lol

Thank you for the input, not sure still about the 4.5 i want it that but involves more modification, we will see in the future.
Cheers
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #10
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Re super ride
Unread 02-17-2013, 01:43 AM   #11
jeepster383

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutiaqp
Hello
I am in the market ready to buy my first lift kit for my 97 XJ

Budget:
I have around 600 budget for the kit

Driving conditions:
Mainly On road as a DD , lots of snow up here in the upper peninsula and maybe once or two times a year going to light mud terrain to off road.

I want your opinion, pros and cons, please

I was looking, searching, reading post, reviews and i know many people will say save some money and get a better one, other people will say customize it and will be better.

Option 1
RC - $ 600.00
3" Series II
Front: 3" lifted coil springs, lower control arms, and sway-bar drop brackets.
Rear: New rear springs
Shocks: Includes (4) RC N2.0 series shocks.

Option 2
Pro Comp - $ 575.00
3" Lift Kit with ES3000 Shocks
Included:
Front lift: coil springs, Front sway bar links, Lower link arms, Brake line extension brackets
Rear lift: Add-a-leafs
Shocks: front/rear ES3000 shocks

Option 3 - Here will come your opinion in what should i get, different brand kit, customize kit, etc

Thank you for answers
Have a great weekend!
Cheers
I went with option one and I'm satisfied with it.
jeepster383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 02:07 AM   #12
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutiaqp View Post
Yeah i will get the Duratrac, i was reading that they are amazing in snow /ice conditions.

I saw the rusty kit: Rusty's XJ Cherokee 3" Spring Pack Lift Kit, but it does not come with the control arms? how much will be this? do i need new control arms at 3" ?

Thank you
Technically, at 3" you'd be about .25" short with the stock LCA (the stock upper is good to 4.5").
You can probably get away with it, but I'd go with a kit that includes arms, or better still buy some adjustable arms.
Unread 02-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #13
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutiaqp View Post
Hello there, i was checking that site as well
At the beginning i wanted to go for a 4.5 but that involves a lot of modification other than the suspension lift kit, i will go for the T case drop kit, just because the SYE is around 240+ and is money that i do not have now.

I have a receiver hitch on the back and a aftermarket bully bumper on the front.

Thank you for your input

Cheers
It's really not THAT MUCH MORE than what you'll end up doing eventually anyway
And you should wait on the T-case drop kit until you determine you NEED one.
And you can go cheap on the drop kit. 4 new bolts and enough washers to act as spacers to drop the cross member an inch or so.
Or about $35 for ones that use square tubing.
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #14
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

one thing i would mention is how are you leafs ? is your rear sagging ? if so new leafs are more expensive, but better in the long run.

if you plan to go bigger in the future i would just do a budget lift for now.
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
gutiaqp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CleanTJ View Post
one thing i would mention is how are you leafs ? is your rear sagging ? if so new leafs are more expensive, but better in the long run.

if you plan to go bigger in the future i would just do a budget lift for now.
rear leaf i will say not in the best condition but they are ok
I do not think will go for a higher lift in the near future, so maybe i was thinking in take the option A RC with new rear spring, still waiting for some quotes from some vendors and looking into Zone suspension that some people mention to me

Thank you for your input

Cheers

Tags
lift kit advice , pro comp lift kit , rough country

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.