60 amp fuses keep blowing after battery rewire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 60 amp fuses keep blowing after battery rewire

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 10-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
zimsy
1993 XJ Cherokee 

60 amp fuses keep blowing after battery rewire

So, I keep blowing fuses to my alt power 2 every time I try to turn my xj over. I've got new battery cables and terminals and all my lights work but it won't start. I keep reading I should check my grounds and wiring but I'm not sure where to check. The volt meter says my battery still has a full charge. So can anyone out there help me out and tell me why I've done wrong? I've got my 2 wires off my starter going to the positive and one coming off the "power block?" right in front off the right side engine mount. My negative is going to the fusing house. It's just one cable. Btw I have ac delete. Any info would be handy. Thanks!!!!

zimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If this happened right after you did the rewire and you are now blowing fuses I would look for a wire hooked up in the wrong place or a grounded positive.
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
zimsy
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Okay. Cool. Going back to napa today to waste more money on fuses. Then check my voltage off of the starter and grounds.
Unread 10-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like you have the wires reversed?
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimsy View Post
So, I keep blowing fuses to my alt power 2 every time I try to turn my xj over. I've got new battery cables and terminals and all my lights work but it won't start. I keep reading I should check my grounds and wiring but I'm not sure where to check. The volt meter says my battery still has a full charge. So can anyone out there help me out and tell me why I've done wrong? I've got my 2 wires off my starter going to the positive and one coming off the "power block?" right in front off the right side engine mount. My negative is going to the fusing house. It's just one cable. Btw I have ac delete. Any info would be handy. Thanks!!!!
Basic troubleshooting principle - "What changed last?"

You said you just replaced your main battery wiring, so start looking there. Make sure you don't have something in the wrong place, or something touching something it should not.
Unread 10-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
zimsy
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, I'm an idiot. I had the negative terminal wire going to the fuse box. Looked up some images using the all mighty google machine and found out I was wrong. Made a jumper wire for the 60 amp alt fuse.(I know not smart!) had a buddy come look at it and he said (after changing wires around) that it looks to be set up right. I apparently had both wires coming off the starter to the positive terminal. I then took the smaller of the two (I perceived the smaller wire to be the ground???) then grounded it out. Next I reconnect the negative battery cable on and got a spark. (Not good?) can anyone tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong here? I'm not the sharpest tool in the shop but I've got the determination to get this thing running again.
Unread 10-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
zimsy
1993 XJ Cherokee 

And that power block on the engine isn't for power I take it. I think it's a ground. So I grounded everything to the body below the fuse box.

Tags
battery , battery connection , fuses , starting issue , wiring

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.