6.5L Diesel in an XJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 6.5L Diesel in an XJ?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Chris_Walker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

6.5L Diesel in an XJ?

I am/was going to swap a Nissan inline-6 diesel from an IH Scout II, but they aren't the easiest thing to find. From what I've read, it seems the 6.2L and 6.5L diesels from 90's Chevy trucks are similar in size to the gas 350 engine. Supposedly they use the same mounts and drive train too. And I know tons of people have 350's in their XJs.

Questions:

- Does anyone know what manual transmissions came behind the 350's and diesel V8's?

-And of those transmissions, which would fit in a XJ's transmission tunnel?

-Would any of them bolt up to a NP transfer case without an adapter?

I'm looking for a 4 or 5 speed that is usable on the street. (No super low 6:1 first gears if possible) I'd still like to use the Nissan diesel, but it comes down to price and availability. There's GM diesels all over the place in junkyards around here, but I have yet to find a reasonably priced Nissan diesel within 100 miles of me.

Chris_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Dannn
1998 TJ Wrangler 

go with a cummins 4bt or 4bt 3.3 or even a b 4.5... the 6.5 wasn't the best engine ever.
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
01ClassicXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

If your gonna go that far just use a 5.9 cummins out of a dodge.
01ClassicXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
Dannn
1998 TJ Wrangler 

5.9 won't fit without some major major modifications. the 4bt which is a 102mm bore 4cly version of the 5.9 will fit with some lift. find a chevy bread truck. google 4bt swaps.
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
BeepBeepGoJeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Ehh, i wouldnt do it with a 6.5.
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
Chris_Walker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I've heard some bad things about them, but it would be hardly stressed powering something half the weight that it was designed for. I'd definitely rebuild it too. The Cummins 4 cylinders are extremely heavy and really tall. I'd need a 6.5" lift just for it to clear the front axle. The Isuzu 4 cylinders have a giant bulge in the oil pan right where the Dana 30 diff is, and the turbo interferes with the steering shaft.

These engines will fit in the XJ without majorly modifying the suspension or chassis:

Nissan 3.3L turbo diesel I6, which has the same dimensions as a 4.0L with a little more weight. (engine mounts and manifolds are in the same spot as a 4.0L too)

Detroit Diesel(GM) 6.2L or 6.5L (Super common)

Toyota 2L-TE inline 6 turbo diesel (Very expensive, rare, but light and easiest to swap)

There's also this weird Perkins diesel 6-cylinder at the junkyard that I'm going to go investigate on Friday. I'm sure there's a variety of 4 cylinders like the Mercedes engine that would fit, but they have less power than the 4-cylinder that came in the XJ.

I'm going for at least 30MPG!
Chris_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
YJteen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Walker View Post
Detroit Diesel(GM) 6.2L or 6.5L (Super common)

I'm going for at least 30MPG!
I hope you are going to make other choices then the GM if you want in the 30s. I realze the jeep is super light compared to a full size truck n trailer but I think your looking at mid to upper 20s with it. I could be completely off but I dont see 30.
You should be fine with the axle setup, just as long as you don't beat on it as hard as you would looking at a Playboy magazine, the d30 and d35 should hold up.
YJteen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
Tony89
1998 XJ Cherokee 

fitting a 6.5 with a turbo into the engine bay of a jeep aint gunna happen using the OE turbo mounting. so then you pose the problem of having to do custom stuff which gets costly (unless you are real good at fabricating that kind of stuff).

add that on top of the not so great reputation of 6.5s, and i wouldn't even consider it a viable option. the 6.2s aren't any better and have less power.
Unread 04-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #9
440_Magnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Walker View Post
There's GM diesels all over the place in junkyards around here
Y'know, there's a REASON for that....

I'd go with the 4BT as others have suggested. It may just be a 4-cylinder, but it will out-work and out-last a GM 6.2/6.5.

About the only up-side to the 6.5 is that there's a company out there (a subsidiary of AM General) *still* building them as replacements for the ones that blow up like popcorn in the Army's Hummers. They have made a whole business out of addressing the 6.5's myriad of flaws. This article is pretty informative:
The Optimizer 6500: Engine Builder

Look at the top picture in the right sidebar for just one example of why you do NOT want to take a 6500 out of a junked vehicle.
440_Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
blackblazer92
1989 XJ Cherokee 

after seeing your post on this i have been doing some research and the 6.2l with a 6.5l turbo kit seems like a good contender. they dont have the same issues as the 6.5 and get better mpg. i haven't been able to find exact weights but its somewhere between a bbc and sbc. it shares motor mounts with the sbc but thats about it. it seems its closer to the size of a big block. probably weighs around 650. still.. it should be way easier than trying to fit a 4bt at 750 and much taller.

guys that run the 6.2's in their fullsize pickups see 25 mpg i bet 30 in a cherokee would be easy. i am very interested in this swap and if u need any help i am right around the corner.

engine weights from novak
2.5L I4, 340 lbs.
4.0L I6, 515 lbs.

Chevy Small Block V8 (Gen. I & II), 550 lbs.
GM Small Block V8 (Gen. III), 525 lbs.
GM Small Block V8 (LS1), 407 lbs.

the 4.0l is no light motor. with some frame plating the cherokee should be able to handle the extra weight. just dont hang any huge bumpers off the front or let any fat chicks sit on the hood lol
project build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/my-new-cherokee-project-590872/
blackblazer92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #11
1stockjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

The 4bt is expensive and harder to find. The 6.2 is a bored and stoked 350. They have the same bolt pattern as a 350. It really wouldn be to hard and I have seen those things put some good power down with a good turbo and more fuel. There are tons of those diesels in jy cause they were used in blazers and trucks. They were popular in there day. Find one with low miles and go for it. Thats the great thing bout chevy's. They are very interchangeable.
1stockjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Might want to talk to red_smoke on here, he works for Cummins and just finished his B33 swap into his TJ in time to take it to EJS, he designed it as a kit. TJ only right now, but he's been looking for XJ candidates. The adaptor plate he designed, will allow this engine to bolt up to any transmission that the 4.0 will. Last he told me, the swap could be done, with a crate B3.3 for less than $5K!

NSG370 6 speed trans from a Rubicon, with a NP231 with Tera 4:1 and 2 Low, 4.10s, and 37" BFG KM2s. He was getting 24 MPG on the trail in Moab, and I believe he said about 35 mpg on the road. He said 4.10s are a little deep for highway driving, and would actually be better off with 3.73 or 3.55.

YouTube - JT escalator.mov
YouTube - Jeremy_goldencrack.mov

Yes, I love this Jeep!

Edit: And it has XJ leaf springs in the rear, at about 100" wheel base.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 07:23 AM   #13
fla_cracker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

subscribed..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Fix View Post
"somewhere between really crappy and kind-of-crappy gas mileage."
fla_cracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #14
DirtyViking
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod_hooligan View Post
Might want to talk to red_smoke on here, he works for Cummins and just finished his B33 swap into his TJ in time to take it to EJS, he designed it as a kit. TJ only right now, but he's been looking for XJ candidates. The adaptor plate he designed, will allow this engine to bolt up to any transmission that the 4.0 will. Last he told me, the swap could be done, with a crate B3.3 for less than $5K!
Now that's a mighty sexy install and engine. Sounds amazing. Been considering a 4BT swap for my Cherokee, but the cost has been prohibiting it so far.
DirtyViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #15
1stockjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

That is a nice swap! He barely even had to use the skinny petal
1stockjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.