6.5" short arm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 6.5" short arm

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
hockeyfreak2091
2001 XJ Cherokee 

6.5" short arm

Well the time has finally come to install my lift.
i have been piecing it together for about 2 years now and i just wondered if anyone had any input of things i may need or things to watch out for.
as of now i have:
4.5" leaf springs
2" shackles
6.5" coils
H.D. adjustable trac bar and frame mount
adjustable control arms
extended brake lines
S.Y.E. with custom driveshaft
Rough country Performance 2.2 shocks
rear bar pin eliminator
new U-bolts
I am only runnin 31" tires until i find a deal on some larger ones and i am also doing the long arm upgrade in the near future.
Any input, suggestions, or just comments would be greatly appreciated.

hockeyfreak2091 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
JEEPSFORUS
1997 XJ Cherokee 

what about sway bar, some disconnects would be nice. also you have both upper and lower control arms right.
JEEPSFORUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
hockeyfreak2091
2001 XJ Cherokee 

yes i have adjustable uppers and lowers. i do plan on some quick discos in the next couple weeks. the leafs and custom driveshaft drained my funds for a bit. lol so for a few weeks i will have no sway bars.
do you have any recommendations on which ones to get? iv seen quick discos quicker discos whats the difference?
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
JEEPSFORUS
1997 XJ Cherokee 

the quicker ones are easier, but it dont really matter, go for the cheap ones. i dont have them on my rig i have now, atleast right now, but i like rc. that will be my lift soon.
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

The RC discos, look about like the Warrior Products ones I got when I did my lift, and they sucked. Yeah they work, but most of the time I wouldn't reconnect them after a wheeling trip, simply because they were a PITA. I threw them away and got JKS Quicker disco's.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
Adrian007
1999 XJ Cherokee 

this might be a really noob question, but what is a rear bar pin eliminator?
Adrian007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
JEEPSFORUS
1997 XJ Cherokee 

alright, the rc are not the best but they worked, and they came with the lift. i will admit the jks are sweet and work nice. i dont have them, but a jeep in the group does and yea sweet. some times the rc ones are hard to reconnect or disconnect. everything has to be clean and level for them to work well
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
99XJBeast
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian007 View Post
this might be a really noob question, but what is a rear bar pin eliminator?
Rear BPE's are little brackets that you fasten to your jeep where your rear upper shock bolts would bolt to, this prevents the "broken" upper shock bolt, so its alot easier and less scary to replace shocks again!
99XJBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
hockeyfreak2091
2001 XJ Cherokee 

heres a pic of a BPE
this one is shown on the front lower but its that bracket for a shock mount in the rear upper
Google Image Result for http://image.4wdandsportutility.com/f/8557314/0612_4wd_22z+teraflex_lcg_pro_suspension_system+te raflex_shock_bar_pin_eliminator.jpg
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
hockeyfreak2091
2001 XJ Cherokee 

a little secret i recently learned. on the xj and the zj the mount for the link pin on the rear sway bar is the same size bracket. so go to the JY and take the bracket off the top of the u bolts and u have your self a cheap set of BPE's =)
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
TwistedcaB-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

i would suggest Control Arm drop brackets till you get the long arm kit. can get them from either Rough Country or Rubicon Express and maybe other companies
TwistedcaB- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #12
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

long arms will help greatly and you will be surprised at the ride quality you will gain. i run 35s and will be up at 6.5" soon but will be running 245/75/16 MTRs for the street. what do you plan on doing anything with steering either?
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #13
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

A 6.5" lift with short arms is going to ride like total crap, you'll hate it. I would either get the drop brackets or save your money and wait till you can afford the long arm kit. My jeep with a 4.5" was bad, the drop brackets really helped. Of course the long arms is the way to go though, they are overall far superior in on road ride quality as well as offroad performance.

Last edited by robsjeepxj; 08-03-2010 at 11:44 PM..
robsjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:35 PM   #14
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would add to the list a set of frame plates for the front where the bumper mounts (like the c-rok ones) and a steering box cross brace. XJ's tend to develop cracks around the steering box if they are not reenforced. I know you said you only have 31's now but you'll need them before for you put on bigger tires. At 6.5" I think the stock steering is going to start binding from the extreme angles on the TRE's too. I put the JCR OTK/OTA system on mine but I think the Currie setup would still work but I'm not 100% sure. At the least you'll need to replace the paper thin stock tie rod with something better if you plan to wheel it, it will bend. Some people like sway bars I personally don't run one on mine.
robsjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 12:05 AM   #15
TwistedcaB-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

yeah drop brackets are a huge difference too. im running 7.5-8" of lift now with the RC DB's and it actually rides better than my 98 mustang did ha. i was pretty suprised. but might do Long Arms in the future to make it ride like a Cadillac ; ) and gain some travel
TwistedcaB- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.