6.5" Lift/mechanic problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 6.5" Lift/mechanic problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 02-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #16
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

First... I would not have gone crawling around the shop when there is still a load of EMTs walking around. Guy just had an adrenaline dump, and here you come asking about your jeep.

Second.. Im going to assume that you have a less than mint XJ. Being in Mass, Im also thinking its as bad as mine is under there, if not worse. Sounds like bolts have been snapping off inside the unibody, which is not uncommon. Rustbucket jeep, and a budget lift... turns into a major deal.

Unread 02-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #17
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
First... I would not have gone crawling around the shop when there is still a load of EMTs walking around. Guy just had an adrenaline dump, and here you come asking about your jeep.

Second.. Im going to assume that you have a less than mint XJ. Being in Mass, Im also thinking its as bad as mine is under there, if not worse. Sounds like bolts have been snapping off inside the unibody, which is not uncommon. Rustbucket jeep, and a budget lift... turns into a major deal.
Ya but not 20 hours worth when you have a professional shop and tools. I live in New York and did my jeep in less time then that with jack stands and wrenches
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #18
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'm a DIY'er that took 20 hrs, took my time, skipped some days, even wasted two days on pf leaf bolt, and it took me 2 weeks of 2-3hr days. Learned a lot about how simple the Jeep is. My underside looks like new though. If you fought every single bolt, like the "1" I fought, you'd be pi$$ed, at best.
Unread 02-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #19
YJRoller
1996 XJ Cherokee 

1998 TJ ROR lifted and lots of other goodies
1996 2 DOOR 2.5, 5 Speed Cherokee, 6.5" lift rolln on
33"Swampers. Lots of extras
YJRoller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #20
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

But I wasn't paying labor and trying to reuse my hardware. He could have cut them all in 10 minutes, replaced your bolts with OEM bolts for $150, been done in 1-2 days, for under $1000.
Unread 02-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #21
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Know your rights man!!!! Seriously read.
http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/consumer/a...to-repair.html
Unread 02-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #22
mreid10
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I went there yesterday and paid for the job he did, only charged me half at 25$/hour plus replacement hardware so the total was about 630$. The time I spent waiting for him to write up the bill I found a garage that specializes in lifts (thank god there was one close!) so I followed everyone's advice and had it towed this morning.

After I paid the bill I asked if he did the upper ball joint also since he was supposed to do it while doing the front end...it's like right there anyways... and he said that after the lift was in that I could go back to his garage and get it done since this other garage charges 90$/hour. I said "yaaaaaa maybe not".

It sucks that it's not done yet and I have to wait another week but I'm glad it's in a better direction of being completed.

I hope this never happens to anyone else as this was very stressful and jeep withdrawals are the worst!
mreid10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #23
mreid10
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

They didn't tape off the area and I was given permission by the officer to inspect it; I used to work with the police, they know my jeep and I. All I asked him was how he was doing, nothing about my jeep. I would've been at my jeep for less than a minute and then I would've walked away; there was absolutely no reason for him to flip out like that.

Ya all this salt makes me want to get out of Mass, poor vehicles.
mreid10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #24
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:

If they're giving him the ok to enter the area then big deal. I can see the guy being wound up, but not to that extent considering it wasn't his shop and the OP simply went to check their vehicle.

There's only a small handful of bolts that go into the body. Big deal. The guy is also a professional mechanic in Mass and should expect it and price accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid10 View Post
I went there yesterday and paid for the job he did, only charged me half at 25$/hour plus replacement hardware so the total was about 630$. The time I spent waiting for him to write up the bill I found a garage that specializes in lifts (thank god there was one close!) so I followed everyone's advice and had it towed this morning.

After I paid the bill I asked if he did the upper ball joint also since he was supposed to do it while doing the front end...it's like right there anyways... and he said that after the lift was in that I could go back to his garage and get it done since this other garage charges 90$/hour. I said "yaaaaaa maybe not".

It sucks that it's not done yet and I have to wait another week but I'm glad it's in a better direction of being completed.

I hope this never happens to anyone else as this was very stressful and jeep withdrawals are the worst!
Sounds a lot more realistic at $650. Why the sudden drop in price?

And $90 sounds right for a specialty shop and it shouldn't take them an absurd amount of time to do it either. Around here any specialty shop or dealership is $90-110/h.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.