6.5" Lift/mechanic problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 6.5" Lift/mechanic problem

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 02-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
mreid10
1996 XJ Cherokee 

6.5" Lift/mechanic problem

So this is part-rant and part-need advice.

Long story short I don't have the tools and time to put my rough country lift in my xj so I am having a mechanic do it for me. I brought it in 3 weeks ago and the guy said he would have it done by that weekend and keeps telling me that "stuff" keeps breaking so the hours keep adding up. Approx. at 20+ hours into putting my lift in and he finished up the front end two weeks ago.

The mechanic is a cool dude but here comes the really messed up part.

There was an explosion at a store literally right next to the garage that this mechanic owns and I have friends texting me to see what happened and if my jeep was next to the building. I go there and see police and fire and talk to an officer and they said that everyone was okay and the guys in the building during the explosion walked out just fine. Obviously the scene was safe so the officer allowed me to see if my jeep was damaged. I walk over to the garage and the mechanic is standing outside so I ask him how everyone was doing and he didn't say a single word to me. My buddies join me and I can see my jeep so I figure I would bring my buddies to my jeep so we can inspect it and so I can show them the front end since the front end was done. We walk over to my jeep and the mechanic walks up to us and says "Get the **** out of here" so I tell him that i was just making sure my jeep wasn't damaged and showing my friends the lift. He then says "I almost lost my business and you're worried about your jeep? Just get the **** out of here." I obviously went up to him first to see if everyone was alright and then went to the jeep so it's not like I cared more about my jeep than the potential danger. That was last week and I have yet to get any calls from the mechanic about an apology.

I don't know what to do, this is horrible customer service and I don't even want him to finish the lift even though it is just the rear end that needs to be done. Part of me wants to go there and pay him for the works he's done which he said it's probably around 2,000$ with all the hours he's put in and hardware that he has had to replace, and just finish the lift at a friends house or have another mechanic.

The thing is that I don't know how far I could move the jeep because the mechanic said that he was going to have to cut the unibody because stuff keeps stripping and breaking and went on about somethign about the subframe.

Another part of me wants to ignore what happened and see if he's even going to finish the lift and just never go back again.

Any advice helps, thank you.

mreid10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Get a tow truck and get your Jeep. Your mechanic is less than skilled at XJ lift installations.

Wouldn't you be upset if your entire life savings just blew up, and some snot nosed kid was buggin you ?

$2,000 would have bought a bunch of nice tools.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid10 View Post

Long story short I don't have the tools and time to put my rough country lift in my xj so I am having a mechanic do it for me. I brought it in 3 weeks ago and the guy said he would have it done by that weekend and keeps telling me that "stuff" keeps breaking so the hours keep adding up. Approx. at 20+ hours into putting my lift in and he finished up the front end two weeks ago.

There was an explosion at a store literally right next to the garage that this mechanic owns and I have friends texting me to see what happened and if my jeep was next to the building. I go there and see police and fire and talk to an officer and they said that everyone was okay and the guys in the building during the explosion walked out just fine. Obviously the scene was safe so the officer allowed me to see if my jeep was damaged. I walk over to the garage and the mechanic is standing outside so I ask him how everyone was doing and he didn't say a single word to me. My buddies join me and I can see my jeep so I figure I would bring my buddies to my jeep so we can inspect it and so I can show them the front end since the front end was done. We walk over to my jeep and the mechanic walks up to us and says "Get the **** out of here" so I tell him that i was just making sure my jeep wasn't damaged and showing my friends the lift. He then says "I almost lost my business and you're worried about your jeep? Just get the **** out of here." I obviously went up to him first to see if everyone was alright and then went to the jeep so it's not like I cared more about my jeep than the potential danger. That was last week and I have yet to get any calls from the mechanic about an apology.

I don't know what to do, this is horrible customer service and I don't even want him to finish the lift even though it is just the rear end that needs to be done. Part of me wants to go there and pay him for the works he's done which he said it's probably around 2,000$ with all the hours he's put in and hardware that he has had to replace, and just finish the lift at a friends house or have another mechanic.

The thing is that I don't know how far I could move the jeep because the mechanic said that he was going to have to cut the unibody because stuff keeps stripping and breaking and went on about somethign about the subframe.

Another part of me wants to ignore what happened and see if he's even going to finish the lift and just never go back again.

2,000 dollars! I hope that's the cost of the lift and not the labor to. I could do it in my drive way faster than this guy. I would find a new mechanic If I were you.
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid10

Wish I coulda been there for you buddy. I'd have put that mechanic in his place before I ever left the premises. As a customer, when your vehicle is there, you have every right to rattle his cage about the status of your property. He's an a$$hole, and you're most likely getting screwed.
For example, if you go to the dealership to buy the 14 bolts for UCA's, LCA's, leaf springs, and shackles:$100+... hardware store:$40.
You're dealing with human beings... don't trust them.
Unread 02-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
jeepster383

Take you're jeep and run!! 20+ hours really?? I'd be pissed at that guy for being like that.
jeepster383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Find out how much time was put into it for finishing the front end. Then tell him that he is to immediately stop work on the Jeep and that you will be by to talk to him. Bring a tow truck and get him to pack everything up. Only pay for the labor, take your Jeep to a friend's house and finish the lift. File a dispute with the BB and your credit card company since it is very clear he is ripping you off. RC should be able to provide you with a very detailed breakdown of how long the lift install should be, you might not get anything back but its worth a shot.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
mreid10
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses21 View Post
2,000 dollars! I hope that's the cost of the lift and not the labor to. I could do it in my drive way faster than this guy. I would find a new mechanic If I were you.
Just the labor, he stated that with all those hours that he has dropped into my lift and if he had kept working on it last week then he would've charged me at least 2,500$ so that he could make up for what he has lost from other customers. I totally get the whole he has to make money to keep his business going thing but last week I offered to pay him some cash up front so that he could pay whatever bills and he declined. I am leaning towards having it towed since I'm guessing he stripped the bolts on the leaf springs.

I just want this thing done so I can go for a nice long cruise, thanks for the help everyone.
Unread 02-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I also decided to pay my mechanic to install my lift and he charged me about $350 (IIRC), but my Jeep is mostly rust free...

Did he TELL YOU the cost was going to go up when he said stuff was breaking?
Did he ever give you an estimate, and then tell you he needed to revise it due to unforeseen issues?
You might want to contact some other shops in your area and see what they would charge, and if they would be charging by the hour, or a "book rate" for the work.
Use that information to try to negotiate if he charges you for unauthorized work...

Also, did you ask or did he claim to have experience installing lift kits in Jeeps?
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid10 View Post

Just the labor, he stated that with all those hours that he has dropped into my lift and if he had kept working on it last week then he would've charged me at least 2,500$ so that he could make up for what he has lost from other customers. I totally get the whole he has to make money to keep his business going thing but last week I offered to pay him some cash up front so that he could pay whatever bills and he declined. I am leaning towards having it towed since I'm guessing he stripped the bolts on the leaf springs.

I just want this thing done so I can go for a nice long cruise, thanks for the help everyone.
Ya get it towed and take it to someone who actually knows how to install a lift.
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
mreid10
1996 XJ Cherokee 

125$ in replaced hardware and charged only half of labor costs, i'll take it.
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

There's no excuse for a professional mechanic to need 20 hours to install half a lift kit. Let alone take 2 weeks. Even if half the bolts broke it doesn't take 20 hours get them out and install half a lift kit if you're in a shop with a lift and air tools. Hell, it doesn't take that long on the ground.

I can see his reaction if it was his shop that blew, but from your story it sounds more like he just didn't want you seeing what he'd done to the Jeep thus far. I'd take a long hard look at any paperwork you've signed and what you authorized in writing before I paid him anything. Obviously he deserves to be paid for the work he's done, but not $2000 by a long shot.

Quote:
if he had kept working on it last week then he would've charged me at least 2,500$ so that he could make up for what he has lost from other customers.
and that makes me seriously doubt he knows what the hell he's doing. You pay for time worked on your Jeep. If he's losing money because he sucks at managing his time and workload that's his fault and you shouldn't be paying for it. If you bring your Jeep into my dealership for an oil change and I ring out the oil drain plug I don't charge you extra for my **** up and I sure as hell don't charge you extra for spending additional time on my **** up rather than making money doing another oil change.
Unread 02-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #12
YJRoller
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Get a tow truck and get your Jeep. Your mechanic is less than skilled at XJ lift installations.

Wouldn't you be upset if your entire life savings just blew up, and some snot nosed kid was buggin you ?

$2,000 would have bought a bunch of nice tools.
===============================================

TRUTH ,,,,,,

Shoot my Jeep brother,,, for that kinda CASH,, I will come up and do it ALL for ya. Just saying,,

Seriously,,, get your rig outta there man. I am POSITIVE there is someone from this forum or one of the others that is local and willing to help you out.

If you can't find anyone,,, let me know,,, I WILL come up and do it for you. Just cover my hotel ( or I can crash on the couch) and toss me some gas money to get home and consider it a done deal man. You do have all the parts right?

PM me if you want help..

1998 TJ ROR lifted and lots of other goodies
1996 2 DOOR 2.5, 5 Speed Cherokee, 6.5" lift rolln on
33"Swampers. Lots of extras
YJRoller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
sbaird95
2000 TJ Wrangler 

This mechanic obviously isnt much of a mechanic... He is extremely lazy or has no clue what he is doing! Go get your jeep and finish this job yourself!! All you have left is the rear get the help of a buddy and you will have the job done in an hour or two. Id also go over the front end carefully before driving to make sure everything is right...
sbaird95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #14
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe his shop should have burned down and then you would have had a new jeep lol.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Call the cops!! You're being robbed!! Call the BAR, turn him in. Seriously, he is stealing from you!!

Get an estimate from ANOTHER mechanic!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.