5 speed swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 5 speed swap

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 02-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
Gonnabebig

5 speed swap

So I want to put a 5 speed in my Cherokee and I was wondering what all you need to do if you got a tranny from a straight 6 wrangler or what would be the easiest way to do it?

89' Cherokee pioneer 4.0litre

Gonnabebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
detrails01
1994 XJ Cherokee 

These types of swaps are usually tricky. If its 4 wheel drive youll need the transfer case for the 5 speed, different size drift shafts most likely.. And if the cherokee was automatic, the motor may not not line up.. different flywheel, bolt patterns etc. then obviously installing clutch linkage, pedal, master cylinder.
detrails01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
Gonnabebig

Well i was trying to find a tranny with the transfer case already on it.

Unread 02-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
Empty_Pockets
2000 XJ Cherokee 

How would the motor not line up? Im confused by that? If u have the right trans, crossmember, and shafts from the manual Idk why the motor would now not line up? You have to swap the flex plate for a flywheel but how are the bolt patterns diffrent? why the heck would jeep do that? Motor not lining up whats that nonesense? Manual and auto blocks are the same, not cost effective to make em diffrent.
Empty_Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 04:23 AM   #5
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee 

their was a guy on hear a month or so ago that was taking a motor out of an auto and installing it into a manual jeep. i maybe even comented on it. anyway see if you can find this and you might even get in touch with the guy. really nice guy and i think he came out very good on his project.
i am very interested in this myself and i want a manual too. a guy at work had one with a blown head gasket. when i get through school i want to try and buy his and maybe put a new motor in it. i hate automatic transmissions.
please keep us posted and good luck. if you can get it done with not much trouble i might be tempted myself to try this.
40vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 05:07 AM   #6
Mikeand
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Just did this swap in my 94, I thought it was very easy.

Managed to pickup a flywheel, ax-15 w/transfer case, both driveshafts, pedal assy, crossmember, MC and Line w/external slave all for $150

$90 for a new clutch kit.
$40 for fluids

Not a bad setup. It was all bolt up. Only drilling I had to do was for the MC on the firewall and even the spots where to drill are already marked from the factory.
1996 Cherokee Sport -4.6L Stroker, TB Spacer, Cold Air Intake, APN Header - D30 front / 8.25 Rear -RC 3" Lift -Dakota Leaf Pack -Rough Country Discos / -31" General Grabber A/T2s on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8s -Diamond plate rear quarter panels -Front bumper with hoop - IRO Double shear Track Bar and HD tie rod -Homemade light bar
Mikeand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
Gonnabebig

Ok thank you that's exactly the info I wanted to know

Unread 03-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
detrails01
1994 XJ Cherokee 

yea I wasnt saying it def wouldnt line up. I said may not, since i wasnt sure about the jeeps. I know a few people had trouble with different trans to motor before. It is kinda dumb to make a block different for manual trannys. sounds like its ok with jeep though. good to hear.
detrails01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.