4x4 shops in Eastern PA/ Central NJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 4x4 shops in Eastern PA/ Central NJ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
rksnow1
2008 JK Wrangler 

4x4 shops in Eastern PA/ Central NJ?

Anyone know of any shops or local jeep pros in Eastern PA (lower bucks county) or in Central NJ that they can recommend. I am looking for shop that can replace a carrier bearing on the rear. Better yet any fellow Jeepers that has fixed a few of these before and would like to make a few buck or a case of beer to help out... I have a 96 XJ with a chrysler 8.8 and a lockrite locker. I believe the carrier bearing is shot and really dont have the experience or nerve to rebuild it. Everything Ive read sounds like its pretty technical to get the alignment of the gears perfect again. This is my daily driver and I cant afford to blow up a rear trying to wing it myself.

Thanks in advance

rksnow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
3vze28
1998 XJ Cherokee 

okauto4wd would be in stewartsville nj

Build Thread--->[COLOR="Blue"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/its-build-thread-time-995498/[/url][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/its-build-thread-time-995498/"][/URL][/COLOR]
3vze28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
MagicNelson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

No Excuses is where I go. About 20 minutes into Jersey from the Burlington Bristol Bridge.
MagicNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Grimm5577
1997 TJ Wrangler 

There is a shop in South brunswick called Krazy House of Customs I haven't used them but i've heard good things from some others that have.
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

jeff daniels jeeps in harleysville is a great shop and put on a great jeep show every year,heres a link to the website www.jeffdanielsjeeps.com
Unread 07-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
mixje
2000 XJ Cherokee 

ok4wd does great stuff
mixje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
rksnow1
2008 JK Wrangler 

MagicNelson, is No Excuses in PA or NJ? I just did a search and couldnt find them, but being in Lower Bucks county that may be the closest to me. Thanks again everyone for your help!
Unread 07-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
multmigs
2003 WJ 

why not just buy a used rear from a junkyard, they seem plentiful enough around here to me still? then you have a complete spare to do whatev you want with even if its just rebuild what you have there? you could even get non matching gears unless you need to go offroading asap? everytime I see someone I know with a bad rear they get charged at least $1000 for a local place to do a "rebuild" which is using all stock parts. Myself and several other guys I know have gotten jy rears for a couple hundred bucks and swaped them out in a weekend with new fluids etc for a couple hundred and kept on truckin....

btw you should have a C8.25 if its stock you stated 8.8 rear but that would be a ford unit..
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

x2 on No Excuses
Unread 07-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
rksnow1
2008 JK Wrangler 

The rear is a chrysler 8.25 I mistyped. I was thinking of a Ford 8.8 I found local and must have still been thinking about that as I was typing. I have a rebuilt Dana rear with 4:10s I can use sitting in the garage from another project but thought the chrysler with the lockrite would be more durable in the long run.

$1000 for a rebuild for a rear? Just to change a bearing out.. wow. I thought maybe a few hundred at most, the rebuilt kits I found are only $100 bucks at most. Knowing I have the back up rear, maybe I will just try the rebuilt my self. Anyone changed the carrier bearing before? Whats your opinion on how hard this is to do an realign properly. Ive rebuilt several transmissions and know my way around the Jeep pretty well. I just hear a lot of horror stories and got a little worried.

Thanks guys
Unread 07-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksnow1 View Post
The rear is a chrysler 8.25 I mistyped. I was thinking of a Ford 8.8 I found local and must have still been thinking about that as I was typing. I have a rebuilt Dana rear with 4:10s I can use sitting in the garage from another project but thought the chrysler with the lockrite would be more durable in the long run.

$1000 for a rebuild for a rear? Just to change a bearing out.. wow. I thought maybe a few hundred at most, the rebuilt kits I found are only $100 bucks at most. Knowing I have the back up rear, maybe I will just try the rebuilt my self. Anyone changed the carrier bearing before? Whats your opinion on how hard this is to do an realign properly. Ive rebuilt several transmissions and know my way around the Jeep pretty well. I just hear a lot of horror stories and got a little worried.

Thanks guys
when you touch anything in the diff it SHOULD all be redone to make sure the gears are set up properly, if not.. and your rear explodes or locks up and causes to you have an accident or put yourself in the hospital youll know why.

1000 for a rebuild is retarted. i had to get a new carrier, ring and pinion, seals, bearing kit,and fluids and install for around 800 at camper bobs. they are a good place to go too. hank does all the gear setups and knows his ****.
Unread 07-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #12
MagicNelson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksnow1 View Post
MagicNelson, is No Excuses in PA or NJ? I just did a search and couldnt find them, but being in Lower Bucks county that may be the closest to me. Thanks again everyone for your help!
They're in NJ. Here's their website: http://www.800-923-jeep.com/
MagicNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
rksnow1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Again. Ill contact No Excuses and see what Im looking at price wise. Hopefully its in Budget, If not has anyone rebuilt a rear? or know of a good how to write up on here. Im pretty tech savvy and have rebuilt transmissions, engines and everything else on my Jeep and cars, just never attempted a rear yet and any tips and tricks would be appreciated. Ill start another thread for that though...

Thanks guys!
Unread 07-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #14
licensedtothril
1996 XJ Cherokee 

does anyone have a working number for NoExcuses. 1800-923-jeep is a disconnected number.
licensedtothril is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.