4x4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 4x4

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-10-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
1993F250
1990 XJ Cherokee 

4x4

ok so this may be a "newb" type question and while im not new to working on stuff i havnt had anything with a part time 4X4 in it. can someone please explain to me what exactly part time 4X4 does? is it like a front end limited slip or what? and how would i be abe to tell if its stuck in part time 4X4? thanks for any input.

1993F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 02:34 AM   #2
Mike318_

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993F250 View Post
ok so this may be a "newb" type question and while im not new to working on stuff i havnt had anything with a part time 4X4 in it. can someone please explain to me what exactly part time 4X4 does? is it like a front end limited slip or what? and how would i be abe to tell if its stuck in part time 4X4? thanks for any input.
Give this a read. Transfer Case If that doesn't answer all your questions, or you have more after reading that, post them up, and somebody I'll help you out.
"Mike318: Where there's a problem, he's the solution." :rofl::rofl:
Mike318_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 02:52 AM   #3
1993F250
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
Give this a read. Transfer Case If that doesn't answer all your questions, or you have more after reading that, post them up, and somebody I'll help you out.
i read through that and i already know most of it, i didnt see anything about PART TIME 4X4..? did i just miss it orr?
Unread 07-10-2010, 02:53 AM   #4
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

I'll give you a quicky so you arent overwhelmed by the info given so far and end up over looking some important things that could cost you your axles or T-case. Part time basically means only to be used off pavement or in low traction situations, hence the Part (of the) Time. it transfers part of the power to the front wheels (via the transfer case) for off pavement use, if you have a np242 that has a Full Time 4wd this can be used either on or offroad but will be clearly marked FULLTIME. Try using part time at only appropriate times under appropriate conditions, using the part time onroad or where there is a hard surface that has sufficient traction for on road use can cause the axle to bind when turning and other bad stuff that could eventually lead to either leaving your rig stuck somewhere, pockets empty from repairs, or both.

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
SteelBlue_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 03:00 AM   #5
1993F250
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue_WJ View Post
I'll give you a quicky so you arent overwhelmed by the info given so far and end up over looking some important things that could cost you your axles or T-case. Part time basically means only to be used off pavement or in low traction situations, hence the Part (of the) Time. it transfers part of the power to the front wheels (via the transfer case) for off pavement use, if you have a np242 that has a Full Time 4wd this can be used either on or offroad. Try using part time at only appropriate times under appropriate conditions, using the part time onroad or where there is a hard surface that has sufficient traction for on road use can cause the axle to bind when turning and other bad stuff that could eventually lead to either leaving your rig stuck somewhere, pockets empty from repairs, or both.
ok that kinda makes sense, but im not seeing the difference between part time 4X4 and 4-HI; is the difference that in part time 4X4 it only gives the front end partial power and the majority of power is still in the rear? while 4-HI gives all 4 tires the same amount of power?

[FONT="Arial Black"]1990 XJ[/FONT]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Red"]3" Rancho 5000 lift[/COLOR]
D30 front D35 Rear
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]33x12.5 Mudders sitting on 15" M/T Beadlocks[/COLOR]
Doorless
[COLOR="DimGray"]Homebrew discos[/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=nwiTJdave;11190438]Just remember, dress blues make girs drop their clothes much faster than Army puke greens :cheers2::thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Hoobly_Goob;10060314]Nothing says "We are a welcoming and kind offroad enthusiast community" like laughing at fat chicks.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #406[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 07-10-2010, 03:02 AM   #6
Mike318_

Quote:
ok that kinda makes sense, but im not seeing the difference between part time 4X4 and 4-HI; is the difference that in part time 4X4 it only gives the front end partial power and the majority of power is still in the rear? while 4-HI gives all 4 tires the same amount of power?
They're the same thing, just different ways of saying it.
Unread 07-10-2010, 03:04 AM   #7
1993F250
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
They're the same thing, just different ways of saying it.
so your saying my tranfer case shifts into 2 different positions that are called something different but there not different?

D30 front D35 Rear
Doorless

[QUOTE=nwiTJdave;11190438]Just remember, dress blues make girs drop their clothes much faster than Army puke greens :cheers2::thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Hoobly_Goob;10060314]Nothing says "We are a welcoming and kind offroad enthusiast community" like laughing at fat chicks.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #406[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 07-10-2010, 03:12 AM   #8
Mike318_

Quote:
so your saying my tranfer case shifts into 2 different positions that are called something different but there not different?
Kinda.

It sounds like you have a NP242 in your jeep. Which means you have part-time, and full-time 4wd. Part-time is what every 4wd vehicle has in it. Now full-time 4wd is different, sorta. Full-time 4wd uses a limited-slip differential in the transfer case to allow the needed slippage your drive-train needs when on a dry surface, to keep it from binding up.

Edit: I hope that's useful, and makes sense.
Unread 07-10-2010, 03:18 AM   #9
1993F250
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Kinda.

It sounds like you have a NP242 in your jeep. Which means you have part-time, and full-time 4wd. Part-time is what every 4wd vehicle has in it. Now full-time 4wd is different, sorta. Full-time 4wd uses a limited-slip differential in the transfer case to allow the needed slippage your drive-train needs when on a dry surface, to keep it from binding up.

Edit: I hope that's useful, and makes sense.
mostly.
thanks

D30 front D35 Rear
Doorless

Unread 07-10-2010, 03:19 AM   #10
Mike318_

Quote:
mostly.
thanks
Not a problem. You're welcome.
Unread 07-10-2010, 04:26 AM   #11
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

take a pic of your t-case shifter... would be nice to see

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
SteelBlue_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 04:58 AM   #12
1993F250
1990 XJ Cherokee 

not my car but same tcase shifter. hopefully it shows up

D30 front D35 Rear
Doorless

Unread 07-10-2010, 05:02 AM   #13
1993F250
1990 XJ Cherokee 

maybe this one works

the tcase goes 2-part time 4-4hi-nuetral-4lo
jeepxjcbradio001.jpg  

D30 front D35 Rear
Doorless

Last edited by 1993F250; 07-10-2010 at 05:19 AM..
Unread 07-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #14
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

In parttime 4x4 there is no slip between the front and rear axles. They will be solidly connected VIA the chain drive in the t-case. This means that the front and rear tires are turning at the same speed at all times and when you turn the wheels there will be binding and something will break if you have good traction. In fulltime the is a differential action between the axles that allows for different speeds front and rear and it can be used at all times on any surface.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #15
1993F250
1990 XJ Cherokee 

makes sense. so i shouldnt use part time unless im in like snow or goin through a big mud hole?

D30 front D35 Rear
Doorless

Tags
Cherokee , Xj Cherokee , 4x4 , Part time 4 wheel drive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.