4WD strange issues? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 4WD strange issues?

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
TonyPgh
1995 XJ Cherokee 

4WD strange issues?

1995 XJ Cherokee. 4.0 Automatic. 4WD No Lift Kit, everything is stock!

Getting in and out of 4WD is quite strange. Maybe linkage? I hope?
When the guy sold me it, he showed me how to get in and out. I found it strange.
To get it into 4WD, he pulled the handle clear back to almost to 4low, just past the neutral position to get it into 4 high, and then slid the handle down to the 4high position. And it went in! Okay, worked fine.
To get it out of 4WD.
I pushed the handle down to 2WD and it wouldn't come out.
He reached over, and pulled it up high almost to the neutral position again, and "Slammed it hard" down into 2WD position, and told me to back up a few feet. And she came right out.
Now I don't ever recall having to "slam it hard" on any other vehicle to get it out of 4WD. Could this be the linkage wacked out? Or is my transfer case bad? I sure hope this is a linkage issue.
As a side note. In 4Wd, no noise, and very smooth.

TonyPgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Have a buddy help and adjust the linkage. Be careful and not run each other over but it helps to have someone topside to shift and you feel the positions of the linkage. May also need new plastic shift fork guides if hr has in fact been too lazy to correct problem and had slammed it to get the hears in and out. Try the free adjustments first and if it doesn't help get a rebuild kit. If you plan to lift and wheel the xj I would save up for a stock front cv shaft(junkyard one rebuilt works good) and get a sye in it when you tear it down.

Look into other upgrades as well at junkyard (my favorite source of upgrades) Chevy 231c has 6 gear planetary instead of the jeeps 3 gear planetary.
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
TonyPgh
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
Have a buddy help and adjust the linkage. Be careful and not run each other over but it helps to have someone topside to shift and you feel the positions of the linkage. May also need new plastic shift fork guides if hr has in fact been too lazy to correct problem and had slammed it to get the hears in and out. Try the free adjustments first and if it doesn't help get a rebuild kit. If you plan to lift and wheel the xj I would save up for a stock front cv shaft(junkyard one rebuilt works good) and get a sye in it when you tear it down.
Thanks. I was thinking linkage adjustment. I never did one one on these. So I will climb under and look around. I really have no one to help me on something like this, so it will be trial and error for me. At least the T Case seems fine. i just want to to work right.
TonyPgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Heck if I need cheap help a case of beer is cheap and usually neighbors don't mind working for beer. Especially when all they have to do is sit and drink it on a soft seat.

If no help is available put the shifter on floor all the way forward and loosen the pinch bolt and then make sure the shifter is adjusted to where you can get 2hi without the shifter hitting floor in front. Its a good baseline for smaller tuning after.

Good luck!
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I let off the gas, throw the lever, and then tap the gas and let off.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".
visor-np231.jpg  

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 03:02 AM   #6
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
^- This!

You do not need to "slam in" when doing mode changes, but you do need to do it firmly. Go too easy and slow and you only get grinding. As for doing those weird tricks, sounds like the linkage adjustment is out of whack. Also, you may have a problem with the bushings between the Z- linkage arm that sits between the uniframe and the linkage bracket. It is a common failure point and causes very weird shift locations between modes.

Additionally, especially the 242 is know for being a little stubborn getting it out of 4wd. In many cases, you need to slightly tap on the gas or brake pedal after shifting it to 2wd. Occasionally it won't come out of 4wd before you back up a little. 231s do this to some extent as well, but not as much as the 242s..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.