4wd Not Working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 4wd Not Working

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-28-2003, 06:27 PM   #1
Cherokee94

4wd Not Working

I was lucky...the 50K mile junkyard trans actually shifts and works flawlessly. I had to put this in my bro's 94 Cherokee Country 4x4 since the clutch packs toasted because the trans cooler let go. It was an adventure getting the old one out and the new one in but so far, its been about a week and its driven great, no noises or anything. The only thing though is the 4wd won't work. I can pull the shifter lever into 4hi and lo fine but the light won't come on. It doesn't matter what gear I am in. If the front axle doesn't engage, the light won't come on, correct? Does the front axle get its vacumn (for the vac motor) from the TC? I remember a hose ont he top and I hooked it back up to a metal tube that goes into another hose but I don't know if this is the vent or what. Can someone help??? How does the 4x4 engage? What else could be causing the problem?

Thanks
Nick

Cherokee94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2003, 06:41 PM   #2
The Buck

Have you tested the 4-wheel on a dirt road or anything? Neither one of my lights come on but i know that 4-wheel drive works. If they were working before though they should probably come on. Just a simple thought...
Green Jeep Club Member #64
The Buck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2003, 10:58 PM   #3
gatemaster

the vacuum motor gets its vacuum from the transfer case.
gatemaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2003, 12:08 AM   #4
Jeep'nSon

When my dad bought his '90 a bit ago the 4wd light didn't come on either. We thought 4wd was working though b/c of the gearing change in 4lo and because we thought we had actually needed the 4wd a few times. After the tranny let go he had to have it replaced. Mechanic informed him that some sort of unit that connects the t-case to the tranny (??) had never been connected and we had never actually been in 4wd. I would have to guess with a tranny swap that the same unit that was not connected on my father's jeep has not been reconnected on your jeep. I will try to get a little better name/description of what was disconnected for you tomorrow.

Jae
Jeep'nSon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2003, 12:36 AM   #5
gatemaster

won't let me delete this. I replied to the wrong thread.

Last edited by gatemaster; 05-29-2003 at 12:39 AM..
gatemaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2003, 12:45 AM   #6
Dacaur
2008 MK Patriot 

A 94 doesn't have a vacuum motor or a front axle disconnect, all putting it in 4WD does in the later models is engage the front drive shaft, everything else is hooked up all the time. To test if it is actually in 4wd, go out in a dirt lot and put it in 4wd and try to make some tight circles, you shouldn't be able to turn as tight as when its in 2WD and you should hear the front outside tire scrubbing, if you don't notice any difference, then 4WD isn't working. In later models the 4WD light is just controlled by a switch in the transfer case, so make sure all the wires are hooked up right.

99 WJ Laredo
2.5" Budget boost, 265/75/16 tires, K&N air filter
www.dacaur.com/jeep.html

Past Jeeps:
1992 YJ 4.0, 5 speed 6", lift 33's
1992 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1999 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1985 XJ 2.5, 5 speed, no lift, 255/70/15's
---------------

Last edited by Dacaur; 05-29-2003 at 01:05 AM..
Dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2003, 04:51 AM   #7
Cherokee94

I remember a three prong plug...Thats what engages the 4wd? What engages the front axle? Oh, so is the tube fron the top a vent? That has nothing to do with the 4wd engaging? Anything else that could be causing the problem? I remember plugging that harness in.

Thanks
Nick

Last edited by Cherokee94; 05-29-2003 at 05:17 AM..
Unread 05-29-2003, 07:08 PM   #8
Dacaur
2008 MK Patriot 

no the plug would just light the light. But if the one you are talking about was at the back right next to the rear output (3 prong), then thats the speed sensor. The indicator plug (2 prong) is on the front near the vent tube.
The actual engaging of 4WD in non-disconnect jeeps (a 94 is a non-disconnect) is all mechanical, if you pull the lever and your transfer case is working properly then you are in 4WD whether the light lights or not, pulling the lever physically puts the jeep in 4WD, that's why I suggested testing weather you are actually in 4WD or not, if you are in 4WD but the light doesn't light, you want to troubleshoot differently than if you are not actually in 4WD.

green: 4WD indicator switch connector. Red: Front drive shaft. Blue: Transmission

green: 4WD indicator switch connector. Purple: Transfer case Vent.

green: 4WD indicator switch connector. Purple: Transfer case Vent. Blue: Front drive shaft.

All of this of course is assuming your 94 transfer case is mostly the same as my 99

99 WJ Laredo
www.dacaur.com/jeep.html

Past Jeeps:
---------------
Unread 05-29-2003, 07:31 PM   #9
Cherokee94

Well, I didnt have the plug connected but the light still won't come on. If I put it in 4wd, I can't really break the back tires loose (on dirt) but if its in 2wd, it can easily do it so I know the TC is engaging. If thats engaging, then its working, correct? There is nothing else that is done w/ the lever is pulled? Oh I also put it in 4lo and I know that is workin just fine.

Thanks
Nick
Unread 05-29-2003, 07:40 PM   #10
Dacaur
2008 MK Patriot 

Yes sounds like its working fine, no there is nothing else done when the lever is pulled. Odd about the light though, was it working before the transmission swap?

What I would do next is take a voltmeter and test the socket to see if its putting out voltage when its in 4WD.

99 WJ Laredo
www.dacaur.com/jeep.html

Past Jeeps:
---------------
Unread 05-29-2003, 09:12 PM   #11
ChrisinVA

I just had this issue when my transmission was rebuilt. The shift rods weren't lined up properly, and the 4wd light wouldn't come on...in addition to it popping out of lock. We had to bend some tab because the rod bumped up against a bolt, preventing it from fully locking.
Unread 05-30-2003, 05:06 AM   #12
Cherokee94

We had some problems w/ getting the linkage hooked up so I might see if we straighten that out, the light will come on. I bet the lever has to be in a perfect position for the light to come on, thats why its not coming on.

Thanks
Nick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.