4WD Lock Light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 4WD Lock Light

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
md64
1987 XJ Cherokee 

4WD Lock Light

I was wondering what the yellow lock indicator light on my 87' XJ 4.0L 4x4 meant. The light is to the left of the dash, on the same panel as the handbrake indicator light and the 4x4 indicator light. It comes on with the green 4x4 light sometimes when 4x4 is engaged, and sometimes it stays on a bit after 4x4 is disengaged. Also, sometimes while accelerating or going over a bump, the light comes on for less than a second. What exactly does this lock light indicate?

md64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
md64
1987 XJ Cherokee 

No one has any idea? I looked in the glovebox manual and it doesn't say anything helpful...
Unread 11-28-2012, 04:49 AM   #3
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I was bored, so I spent 5 minutes looking for info.
Neither Google nor Ask.com found ANY reference to this, except for this thread.
As far as the Interweb is concerned, the light doesn't exist.
Therefore you must be on drugs

Looks like you'll need to get a FSM or a Chiltons guide.
Sometimes you might find an unwrapped guide in a parts store that you could (ahem) browse through (wink wink).

Or wait for someone here that owns an 87 to chime in
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
I was bored, so I spent 5 minutes looking for info.
Neither Google nor Ask.com found ANY reference to this
Our '95 XJ had the same lights just like both of my '90s have had them as well. I'm pretty damn sure all pre- facelift XJs have the same lights he is describing no matter if it's a renix or HO.

The green 4x4 light you see is for the 4 full time mode on the 242 (selec-track) transfer case- equipped XJs. In other words it's the non-locked 4wd mode that you can use on any road conditions. Green light is illuminated when 4 Full Time is engaged. It should never illuminate on XJs that have a 231.

The yellow 4x4 lock indicator light is the same as 4x4 part time, IIRC the indicator either reads 4x4 lock or 4x4 part time. It is illuminated when either 4Hi Part time or 4Lo Part Time is engaged.

As for the yeallow light blinking on and off every now and then, or it showing when going form either 4ft or 4hi back to 2wd, it's pretty normal. Yellow indicator light should not flash going over bumps or when in 4FT, but it can happen when the mode light switch in the TC gets older and worn. As long as you're not actually in 4hi when driving on dry roads, don't worry

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
md64
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you so much! I noticed that there is a loud clicking sound that comes from the front while turning a lot and accelerating from a stop. This sound is only there when the yellow lock light is on. I know that my front U joints are worn, but is there something else that could make that sound? Thanks again.
Unread 11-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #6
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Our '95 XJ had the same lights just like both of my '90s have had them as well. I'm pretty damn sure all pre- facelift XJs have the same lights he is describing no matter if it's a renix or HO.

The green 4x4 light you see is for the 4 full time mode on the 242 (selec-track) transfer case- equipped XJs. In other words it's the non-locked 4wd mode that you can use on any road conditions. Green light is illuminated when 4 Full Time is engaged. It should never illuminate on XJs that have a 231.

The yellow 4x4 lock indicator light is the same as 4x4 part time, IIRC the indicator either reads 4x4 lock or 4x4 part time. It is illuminated when either 4Hi Part time or 4Lo Part Time is engaged.
[snip]
AH! So it's a 242 T-case thing. I'll have to take another look at my panel to see what I have (My lamps don't always light up ).
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4wd , indicator , light , lock , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.