4wd grinding noise and disengaging - '00 sport i6 sele trac 94k miles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 4wd grinding noise and disengaging - '00 sport i6 sele trac 94k miles

Steinjager TJ tube doorsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
nerdkiller

4wd grinding noise and disengaging - '00 sport i6 commnd-trac 94k miles

sorry, original title post said selec. I have command part time 4wd.

Just got my second xj. Never had this problem wth the first.

A couple times it has slipped out of 4wd either while going slow or when going from R to D into an icy parking spot. It sort of gets stuck between 2wd and 4wd. The only way to fix is to push into 2wd (which required more effort than usual), go forward and then try and go back into 4wd.

The last time it happened I was going slow so I did the above routine, got out of the slush and onto dry highway and went into 2wd fine. The next time I went into 4wd it did it again, and that was at about 30mph. It seems that when its stuck there I have no power, gassing it just makes the grinding louder and faster.

Anyway I've figured out how to deal with it for the most part. But any idea whats really happening? I assume its disengagement from the feel of it, but how to repair? I really hope it doesnt mean a new Transfer cae.

I've seen mention of changing TC fluid and adjusting the linkage, but that was all in reference to getting stuck between 2 and 4. My concern is more about the grinding.

BTW - I dont think the 4wd was used very much by previous owner who lived in florida alot and its so clean i cant imagine she was offroad anywhere.

thx in advance

ps - 4wd indicator doesnt work, but it never did on my last jeep and that always shifted great.

nerdkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
ExpressoNate
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Mine did the same thing, and it continued to get worse until only 4lo would function. Replacing the transfer case solved the issue. I strongly suspect yours is on it's way also.

Using hand tools, it only took 6 hours being lazy, and i replaced the NP242 with a cheaper NP231 ($200 vs $40). Wasnt a bad time, just frustrating. If you DIY the transfer case, buy a flex head wratcheting 9/16" wrench. Even with that, some of the 6 nuts were two clicks at a time...

Lucky for me, an oil leak had kept the bolts coated with grease, and it wasnt a bad job to remove.

~Nate

Crashing sucks!

Save money by using [url]www.advanceauto.com[/url]. Click my referral link to save up to 40% off retail cost! [url]http://advanceautoparts.tellapal.com/a/clk/7l10p[/url]
ExpressoNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
nerdkiller

Thanks. Unfortunately DIY is not an option. I live in the city and parl on the street. There's no getting under the jeep. Also, I initially wrote I had selectrac, mistake. But sounds like youve had the same thing. I'll change the fluids and hope that its just cuz it wasnt used much. I have read some postings that mention the shifter getting stuck between 2 and 4 and loosening up after a while.

We'll see. Any other opinions greatly appreciated.
nerdkiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.