4 wheel drive engage/disengage ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 4 wheel drive engage/disengage ??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 02-11-2003, 06:19 AM   #1
persalls
1995 YJ Wrangler 

4 wheel drive engage/disengage ??

Hi guys!

I have a owners manual in German language that a donīt understand so can somebody pls explain when/ and when NOT to engage part time/full time and low gear and how the control lamps should lightup and go out. I have my Cherokee on sale and i had a customer that complaint on that, after beeing engaged, the lamp will not go out quick enough, but after running a while( 5-10 secs) in D it goes out.( he even said that it wouldīnt at all but after trying myself i now that it does !).

Iam not shoure that ABS has something to do with this but my carīs got it and maybe his references has not, or what do you think.

I thought that everything was fine but how can i really test it and what are your experiences ??

/best reg. Per from Sweden

persalls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2003, 06:41 AM   #2
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

wow, I didn't think anybody had Jeeps overseas. But as to your question, you can engage part-time at any speed (recommended under 55mph) and should be used when conditions are slick such as snow. Low gear should only be enganged off-road (very little traction) and under 5 mph. I'm not really sure about the lamps, but when my part time is engaged, the light stays on. Hope this helps.
Unread 02-11-2003, 06:52 AM   #3
persalls
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hi! thanks for your quick respons!

Yes it helps !

What happens with your lamp after disengaging? will it go out in the same time you move the lever or "after a while" ?

/we have several Jeep and SUV in Sweden but the knowledge is whitin a rounder small "club" i think so this forum is gold-worth and you guy are very good and fast i think !

/best reg, Per
Unread 02-11-2003, 07:52 AM   #4
LoveMyXJ

Shifting

Shifting from 2Hi to 4Hi part or full time can be done as MSHarnett said at or under 55 miles per hour. However, I would suggest unloading torque from the t-case before shifting to help expedite the shift and save the t-case parts from excessive wear and tear. When shifting from 2Hi to 4Hi part or full time either press in the clutch or leave your auto in D and let go of the accelerator and pull the shift handle back to 4Hi. When shifting from 4Hi part or full time to 2Hi at 55 miles per hour or less shift into 2Hi and keep your hand on the t-case lever. Release the accelerator and you will FEEL a click and hear a noise. Pooof, you are now in 2 wheel drive. Feeling the 4 --> 2 shift is the failsafe way to tell if you are out of 4WD. Now for 4Lo. From 4Hi, stop the truck. Shift into neutral. I found that 4Lo best engages when you are rolling very very slowly, like 1-2 mph and pull t-case lever smoothly and authoritivley through N to 4Lo. I found that if is done while stopped, when I start the t-case can fall out of 4Lo. The small, small amount of speed helps to engage and keep the low gear in place. DO NOT, shift into 4Lo when going faster than 3 mph or while in gear. Be cautious also when you shift through N the truck has the ability to roll away, regardless of transmission setting. To test for ABS splash some water on your street and slam on those brakes. If you have it, you'll know. (ie. a vibrating pedal and pulsating brakes.)

Check out this Thread on T-Case's

Very Long Thread on T-Case Shifting
[SIZE=1]95 XJ Sport, Green/Grey, Two Door, 4.0L AX15, NP231, Up Country Suspension, FRONT: Dana 30 Open, REAR: Dana 35C Trac-Lok Gears: 3.07, OEM: T-Case Skid, Gas Tank Skid, Front Suspension Skid, OEM Bullet Alminum Wheels 15x7 Wrapped with 235/75R15 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos[/SIZE]
LoveMyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2003, 08:38 AM   #5
GrantMLS

when i go out of parttime - sseems to take from 5-15 seconds for the light to go off..

2000 Jeep XJ 4.0 4x4 Classic bone stock for da road

www.mlsracing.com
GrantMLS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2003, 08:52 AM   #6
thewooddogg

I know this is going to sound dumb. But this is my first 4WD. I went from a Honda CRX Si to a Jeep Cherokee. (BIIIIGGG CHANGE!! For me at least...)

What is the difference between full time and part time? I was testing my 4WD and when I moved the handle to 4-hi a light came on saying Part-Time.

Also, my light waiting about 10 seconds before turning off after going back to 2-hi. Kind of scared me at first, I thought I broke it! hehe
Unread 02-11-2003, 09:00 AM   #7
GrantMLS

parttime - you can't use it on dry payment - has to be slippery mud or snow..

2000 Jeep XJ 4.0 4x4 Classic bone stock for da road

www.mlsracing.com
GrantMLS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2003, 09:09 AM   #8
persalls
1995 YJ Wrangler 

hey where here to learn !

Thanks for the answer about delay in lamps cause that was the first reason for me to ask, then iám confused about full and part?

part time means fully locked central diff ? right?

fulltime means centraldiff and FOR fulltime use if necessary??

Is this a correct interpretation?

/best guys!
Unread 02-11-2003, 09:24 AM   #9
thewooddogg

I just read those two transfer case threads.

Sounds like your right Persalls. The transfer case, with part-time, doesn't have a differential in it. Meaning using it on dry pavement is very bad.

I would guess if you have a full-time option (I don't), then that would mean you have a differential in the transfer case and could use it on dry pavement because it wouldn't get hurt.

Another question... Is rain considered slippery enough for part-time 4WD? Does using 4WD even benefit you in the rain?

Side question... anyone know what the new Tacomas have for 4WD? part-time or full?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.