4 wheel drive conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 4 wheel drive conversion

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 03-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
pnpxtreme

4 wheel drive conversion

Hello everyone. I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0liter v-6 2 wheel drive. I was wondering what was involved in a 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive conversion. I know I will need a new transfer case and axel. Anything else? Does anyone know if the transfer case will bolt on to my stock 2 wheel drive transmission, or will I have to buy a 4 wheel drive transmission. I also need to know what year jeeps have the same exact drivetrain. thanks a lot

pnpxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
jcr23

you have a 4.0 Inline-6.

and the conversion is likely more work than it's worth. but i'll let someone else chime in.
Unread 03-27-2006, 04:52 PM   #3
Grumman

remember someone else in a thread like this recently saying something along the lines of

transfer case
front axle
different/(addtional ) cross members
lots of little things

but the end conclusion came to something like

put a "For sale" sign on the dash and to get one that already has 4X4. tried searching but could'nt find it

Edit http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ght=conversion
Grumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #4
Atl XJ

Its all pretty much bolt in but it is a lot of work and I personally wouldn't consider it unless I had access a wrecked 4wd XJ with all the parts you will need. You'll be surprised at the various little parts that you'll find that you'll need.

The 2wd and 4wd AW4s are different, the difference is in the tail shaft. You can swap the tailshaft but its something that needs to be done by someone with experience in doing that. Aw4s are pretty plentiful in junkyards so I'd probably just get a 4wd transmission.

That being said, you're probbaly better off just getting a 4wd XJ to start with. There are plenty of them around and the difference in price isnt that much different. That is unless you have an exceptionally nice XJ, sentimental attachment, or you just are looking for a project.
Atl XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
The_Other_One

Hehe, dude, no offence, but if you don't even know what the motor under your hood is, I would'nt even consider doing the conversion...
The_Other_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
Bosco01Cherokee

I thought about a conversion. Then sold my 2wd and bought a 4wd.
Bosco01Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
pnpxtreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Other_One
Hehe, dude, no offence, but if you don't even know what the motor under your hood is, I would'nt even consider doing the conversion...
hey hey now.. thats not nice. I know what motor I have.. it was a typo. My bad.
Unread 03-29-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
pnpxtreme

Thanks to all that replied, the good and the bad. Im just gunna stick with the 2wd till I can afford a 4 wd. Thanks guys!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.