4.7L Stroker build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 106 Old 01-27-2011, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

4.7L Stroker build

Since parts are accumulating pretty fast now, I figured it was about time I start a build thread. If not for your amusement, for my need to keep track of part numbers and what I do and don't have yet. Since I also know a few guys that are planning on following in my foot steps to one degree or another, this is also for them.

I'm going to be using this as my template for the engine build, gotten from:
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html
4.7L medium-buck stroker

Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.0L 6.125" rods
Keith-Black Silvolite UEM-IC944 +0.060" bore pistons
9.6:1 CR
CompCams 68-231-4 206/214 degree camshaft
CNC ported HO 1.91"/1.50" cylinder head
Mill block deck 0.020"
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.051" quench height
Flometrics F&B 68mm billet TB
Accel 26lb/hr injectors with adjustable FPR or MAP adjuster for '87-'95 engines, Accel 26lb/hr injectors with stock 49psi FPR for '96 and later engines.
271hp @ 4900rpm, 333lbft @ 3500rpm

This is the shopping list so far:

99+ intake manifold - Done, ported and polished - In Progress
JBA Header
TUPY revised 0331 head - Done, ported and polished - In Progress
Mopar Performance 0.043" Head Gasket - P4529242 - Done
COMP Cams 68-232-4 Cam - Done
COMP Cams High Energy Timing Chain Set - 3219 - Done
Sealed Power hydraulic lifters - HT2011 - Done
Mopar Performance Valve Springs - P5249464
Mopar Performance Valve Spring Retainers - P4452032
Manley Street Flo Valves - 10721-1
Manley Street Flo Valves - 10722-1
Harland Sharp Pedestal Mount Bolt-On Series Rocker Arms - S40196
Keith Black Forged High-compression Pistons .060 over - IC945-060 - Done
Stock 4.0L connecting rods w/13k original miles - Done
AMC 258/4.2L crank - Done
99 WJ 4.0 Block - Done
COMP Cams Engine Oil Break-in Additive - 159 - Done
M.O.R.E. BombProof Block Brackets

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 Old 01-27-2011, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Valve Train and top end

I was going to get the COMP Cams K68-231-4 Cam and Lifter Kit that included the timing set, lifters, valve springs, retainers, locks, and seals, but after a little research in my spare time at work, I found that:
Quote:
K-kits will only work in 1964-88 models due to different valve stem.
IE, they were only designed for the AMC 258(4.2L), so the parts pertaining to the valves them selfs will need to be obtained elsewhere. COMP recommend getting a spring kit from Mopar Performance. I already have a brand new set of lifters soaking in oil from when I thought I was going to replace them in the XJ, that didn't happen, and I couldn't return them since I had already put them in oil. If I didn't already have the lifters, the
COMP Cams SK68-231-4 Cam and Lifter Kit was what COMP recommended, it would be the most complete set up they offer for the 4.0L. I will also be running Harland Sharp roller rockers.

The head came off an engine out of a 04 Rubicon with reportedly about 13K on it, specifically chosen for the TUPY casting revision. I'm in the process of porting and polishing it. Gasket matching it and just trying to straiten out the ports as much as possible, as well as help speed up the air flow. I'm not pushing for more air volume, but more velocity for better low and mid range torque.
I'm also cleaning up the combustion chambers a little, so I will be CC'ing them as well. Once I can start getting solid specs on everything, I may make a few small changes to the combustion chambers to get the compression ratio where I want it.

Intake is the newer style off of my old 01 XJ. I will be match porting it, and only cleaning up the last 2-3" of the runners since I can't get much deeper with the grinder I'm using. I also have a little bling in store for it, just because.
post #3 of 106 Old 01-27-2011, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Bottom End

I've found a block from a 99 WJ that was swapped out doe to a large build up of sludge, not a big deal since I have easy access to a hot tank. Once I can get the crank and pistons, I'll start working with my machinist to figure out deck hight and such.

I currently have a crank from a CJ with the 2 1/2" snout and spacer, but have been contemplating going ahead and getting a new 4.2 crank from Scat with the 2" snout. This is the same crank that Golen and Mopar are putting in their crate strokers.

I'll be using the stock 4.0L connecting rods for the longer length, primarily for the reduced side loads on the pistons compared to the shorter 4.2 rods. Unfortunately, this means I have to run more expensive pistons to correct for wrist pin hight, but then I'd also have to buy new connecting rods too. I've got 2 complete sets of 4.0L rods to pick from, that were free, I think I'm going to have them shot peened for a little extra strength. All toped off with the Keith Black Forged Pistons - IC945 for a .060" over bore, and somewhere in the range of 11:1 compression. I will be tuning the engine to run on strait E85. This is not going to be a DD, so I'm willing to build it a little meaner. Even though It's not going to be a DD, I don't want it to be a trailer queen either, I still plan on driving this to and from the offroad parks here in Indiana, as well as take it out and cruise around on the weekends or nice summer days if I want to.

post #4 of 106 Old 01-28-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Head work

This is the head back when I was first disassembling it:

Based on how clean it was, I think 13K miles sounds about right, took no time at all to clean up.

Here is the stock intake runners with the gasket in place

and stock combustion chamber, intake, and exhaust bowls

After spending a little time roughing in the intake:

Thats all of the picks I seem to have of the porting so far, as soon as I can find my camera I'll try and take some pics of the updated progress
post #5 of 106 Old 01-28-2011, 01:06 AM
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This should be good.

Engine builds are fun. I'm in the process of helping my buddy rebuild a 350 SBC.
post #6 of 106 Old 01-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Grunt77
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Who is doing the machine work? I'd like to do a stroker sometime in the future. I'd like to see how this turns out.

"Never underestimate the predictibility of stupidity"

RIP SSG Brad King. KIA April 2, 2007
post #7 of 106 Old 01-28-2011, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt77 View Post
Who is doing the machine work? I'd like to do a stroker sometime in the future. I'd like to see how this turns out.
I'm having Scott Gunderman's Performance in Greenwood do most of the machining. He's a big AMC nut, and has the jigs to do the I-6. I've had Scott as my professor for a few classes at school, so I may be able to talk him into letting me hang around and help with some of the work, don't know if it will make a difference in cost, but it will make me feel better about being involved with the process.
post #8 of 106 Old 01-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Crawled. Good stuff.
post #9 of 106 Old 01-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

what injector size you plan on? HP/TQ target? piggyback for tuning?

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #10 of 106 Old 01-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Grunt77
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. Im in Bloomington, but up in Indy every weekend. I'll definitly have to check out his shop when the time comes.

"Never underestimate the predictibility of stupidity"

RIP SSG Brad King. KIA April 2, 2007
post #11 of 106 Old 01-28-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Surprisingly enough, the dealership has been the cheapest I have found so far for the valve springs and retainers. To get them from Summit Racing would be about $250, and Jegs wants $265. Now that I have part numbers though, I may be able to order these through work, which may get me in cheeper that the dealership.

To put this all into perspective: The full cam kit(K68-232-4) that included the timing set, lifters, valve springs, retainers, locks, and seals, is $340 from Summit. The "Small Kit" SK68-232-4 that comes with the cam, timing set, and lifters is $230 from Summit, so I was kind of expecting to be able to pick up the rest for about $150, yeah right.
post #12 of 106 Old 01-28-2011, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

what injector size you plan on? HP/TQ target? piggyback for tuning?
It calls for Accel 26lb/hr injectors, so tentatively I'll be starting there, though I'm going to hold off on injectors for a little bit until I can get a better idea where I will be setting with my compression ratio. I've been playing around with the idea of doing an 80/20 Premium fuel/E85 mix for the fuel to boost octane, while still keeping it on something fairly readily available at a gas station. If I do end up going this route, I may need to go with a little stronger injector to make up for the E85.

For HP/TQ, I'm shooting for about 275-280hp and about 340-345lb/ft. I do plan on having it at least dyno'd on a chassis dyno once the Jeep is built. If I can find a engine dyno to test it before it goes in, I'll do that to get some back to back comparisons for drive train loss.
post #13 of 106 Old 01-28-2011, 12:43 PM
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have to clean the drool off of my shirt before I read further.

Not much motion in the ocean, but I'm the captain.
post #14 of 106 Old 01-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan View Post
It calls for Accel 26lb/hr injectors, so tentatively I'll be starting there, though I'm going to hold off on injectors for a little bit until I can get a better idea where I will be setting with my compression ratio.
asking because i'm coming up with 28 lbs for 80% duty cycle. stock TJ injectors are 22.5 lb @ 49psi.

i'll be interested to see the dyno numbers

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #15 of 106 Old 01-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Are you stuck on the MORE Motor Mounts?
Only asking because I'd checked out a few companies and Brown Dog has a decent product.
Waiting to install mine, hopefully tomorrow
Free shipping, JF Discount AND it includes motor mounts :P

I'm also interested in seeing the dyno results. Also, rockers? Roller or stock?

Girls like STROKIN too!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/1971-jeepster-commando-1380633/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.