4.5" leaf springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 4.5" leaf springs

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSave 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!

Unread 12-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
ecsbabydaddy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

4.5" leaf springs

I just scored some nearly new 4.5" rough country leaf springs cheap. Not sure if I want to lift my xj that high. Question is, can I use them for a bastard pack, and if so, which leaves should I use? Trying to do a lift on a budget. I'd be happy with 2-3 inches.

ecsbabydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, you can use them for a bastard pack. I would likely use the top leaf of the lift springs with the rest of the XJ pack and see where that gets you. You will likely need to do some trial and error fitting to get it where you want it. That is pretty easy to do though once you have both leaf packs taken apart.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
ecsbabydaddy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Top leaf being the second from the main. Or the main itself?
Unread 12-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you got them cheap but don't want to go that high, I'd try reselling them for enough to buy the leafs you want rather than turning them into a bastard pack. But no, there's no reason you can't make a bastard pack out of them.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
ecsbabydaddy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'd like to keep them. My thoughts are to use the second from the top leaf for starters. Just curious as to how much lift this will net.
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Can't know without trying it. Once you have it jacked up and both packs apart, you can lower the weight on the axle with different combinations and measure to see how much lift it has gained before actually putting the pack together. Be sure to take a before measurement though.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Their Rough Country springs.
Install them and just watch them sag to a lower height...
I would try to sell them on myself, preferably to someone that is not a friend, as my experience with RC stuff leave me thinking of a BUMPY ride followed by a sagging ride.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have RC and its not sagging at all. The PO used a bastard pack that was sagging miserable within less than a year. I have run mine with 0 sag at 4.5 full packs

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
ecsbabydaddy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well if I run it, looks like ill need a ton of stuff for the front end too. I'm trying to lift my xj on a budget. Already got jk shocks, so maybe I'd be better sticking with a 2" lift and doing a bastard pack in the rear.
Unread 01-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbuGrl View Post
I have RC and its not sagging at all. The PO used a bastard pack that was sagging miserable within less than a year. I have run mine with 0 sag at 4.5 full packs
All depends on the springs used in a BP though doesnt it? Too weak, and they will sag. Too strong and they wont flex. I seriously doubt anyone works out the weight of each corner, then the rating of each spring, and build to suite. They normally just start grabbing springs and keep their fingers crossed.
Past customer of RC myself, and would never return. I know they had a thread in the XJ section a while ago, but seemed to still have the same issues of sagging. Get what you pay for in this world, unfortunately.
Thus why you hear of how good RC customer service is all the time, and not how good their products are
Not a clue on how good IRO customer service is, never had to use it.....which is kind of the point.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.