4.5 inch suspen. lift kit install tips! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 4.5 inch suspen. lift kit install tips!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-06-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
Country Cracker

4.5 inch suspen. lift kit install tips!

HI, I JUST BOUGHT A 4.5 INCH SUSPENSCION LIFT KIT FOR MY JEEP CHEROKEE 96'. I HAVE A SPRING COMPRESSOR ALREADY AND I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT STEPS I SHOULD TAKE TO PREPARE FOR INSTALLING. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS JEEP IS A 2WD. NO TRANSFER CASE DROP OR ANYTHING! I WOULD ALSO LIKE IF ANY1 COULD TELL ME ANY GOOD TIPS THAT WOULD HELP THE INSTALLING EASIER. THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERY1!

Country Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
99_XJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Buy a locker get recovery points.....

1990 Wrangler Islander YELLOWChevy 350 V8 32" Swampers
99_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Country Cracker

A Locker? Sorry Not Exactually Sure What That Is
Country Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
Meatroach
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'd say start with spraying all your bolts & ***** you'r going to undo with Fluid Film or PB Blaster or the like, for good week before starting, if you haven't already.

good luck.
[COLOR="Red"]3.5" Warrior coils, Full leaf packs, Skyjacker Quick Disconnects, Rear swaybar delete, Pro Comp shocks, HD Steering stabilizer, BFG AT's, 1" drop shackles, Front tow hooks,Front skid, Warn T-case skid

bcjeepclub.ca
Meatroach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

wait your jeep is 2wd?
well if it were me i wouldnt lift a 2wd vehical, i would just sell it and buy a 4wd but thats just me.

if your going to keep the 2wd then i would highly suggest locking the rear diff. A "locker" is a device that goes in the diff and will lock both of the axle shafts together to create equil power between the two shafts, this results in better off road performance.

Try doing a search for "lockers" if you need more information about them.
-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
Low Pressure
1993 XJ Cherokee 

yup, pb blaster your screws and nut a week or so before.... prevents from breaking nuts and bolts.
if its only a street driver you do not need locker
Low Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #7
Vrrooom
2004 WJ 

Just curious - why lift a 2wd? The point of a lift is to usually get you places that a stock ride height cannot get you. These places also require the use of all 4 wheels...
07 JK Rubi, 37s, bumpers, armor, mild lift, DD / sold
Vrrooom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #8
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

dude, i hope there is no offense taken because i was and still am slightly, a jeep noob...if you just got a 4.5 inch lift, and dont know what a locker is, then im afraid you may be doing this the wrong way...
4x4 is THE ONLY way to wheel IMO(in my opinion)
and a 4.5 inch kit requires bigger tires...your gonna want some big tires and trim, and then regearing, and your not gonna want some axles, and a lift isnt the easiest work...
if your gonna just show your jeep and not wheel it, then your lift is okay but if you plan on some decent wheeling, your gonna want 4x4
a locked 2wd is strong, but i would take open diffs 4x4 than a locked 2 IMHO
3.5" Lift, RE SF LCA's with skids, 31x10.50R15 Duratracs, ARB Roofrack, Custom Bumper, Glasspack, Bored TB, Custom seats
Topgun514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.