4.0L cylinder head replacement...Walkthrough? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 4.0L cylinder head replacement...Walkthrough?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
MikeMcCasland

4.0L cylinder head replacement...Walkthrough?

Hey Guys,

I'm a Ford guy myself but I'm going to be helping a friend replace the head gasket on his 2000 XJ 4.0L. It has a cracked cylinder head or blow head gasket, but with this specific casting I'm guessing cracked head. It does all the typical things, fouls plugs on the same cylinder constantly, looses coolant, smoke on startup etc.

I'm looking for a detailed walk through with pictures. This stuff is hard to find on some forums but this is the jeep forums, and jeep guys are always tearing apart their trucks for some modification or another. I figured given the number of threads out there regarding this issue there HAD to be someone who wrote up a walk through.

Anyone go something like this?

EDIT: Changed the year. It's a 2000 model.

Last edited by MikeMcCasland; 06-15-2009 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: 2000 Model
MikeMcCasland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The 99 model should have the better casting, the 00-01 had the 0331 casting which is more prone to cracking.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
MikeMcCasland

Yup, my mistake it's actually a 2000 model.
Unread 06-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Don't know if you have found a replacement head or not but I would look into alabama cylinder head. They make a better replacement. I don't have a walk thru but it's basically remove and replace with the proper torque sequence, and adding sealant to the front head bolt that is behind the thermostat housing. I would recommend to your friend getting a factory service manual. It will have all the info you and he needs to do this and many other tasks.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
MikeMcCasland

I have advised him to get a manual like that, at the very least a Haynes manual. Nope have not found a new head yet. He just got the XJ this weekend so hasn't had the time to look yet. Again, I figured you Jeep guys had a write up for everything.
Unread 06-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
100dollarbill

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I am in the process of replacing my 1993's cylinder head also. Everyone is saying you need sealant on bolt #11. Exactly what kind of sealant (I'm guessing high temp RTV) and where on the bolt do you put it? I know that bolt goes into the water jacket but do you slobber the whole thing with sealant? Wow this is starting to sound like a stupid question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
P.S. please stop bringing up the CAI, Those Government Guys make me nervous!!!

'93 XJ 4 1/2" lift on 33's
'08 JK Unlimited Detonator Yellow DD
'11 Liberty Sport (the wife's)
100dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.