4.0HO waterpump replacement DIY? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 4.0HO waterpump replacement DIY?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
XJ-in-the-snow
1994 XJ Cherokee 

4.0HO waterpump replacement DIY?

Hi guys,
I'm sorry to make a thread about something like this, but the two links in the FAQ thread are broken and lead no-where.

I'm pretty sure I have weep-hole action goin' on and I need to replace the pump on my XJ, but I don't wanna get elbow deep in this job and have there be something unexpected or unseen happen.

If anyone has a link to a DIY or just has some pointers, I'd really appreciate it.

XJ-in-the-snow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
jjshbetz11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

not really too many problems to run into. Obvisouley, the water pump is accessable. Just loosen the belt up some and take a pic or diagram if you dont allready have one of the belt routing. When I redid my alt. I stood there for like half an hour trying to figure the belt routing out.

Hello 2000xj
jjshbetz11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
jdtorque
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Take what I am abotu to say with a grain of salt - this is basedon experience removing a water pump - but have not done so in my XJ yet.
Disconnect Battery
Step 1: Visually locate all components that will need to be addresed - Water pump, Water pump pulley, idler pulley, radiator, coolant temp. sensor, etc.
Step 2: Spray penetrating oil on all relevant bolts and fasteners. This includes silly things like hose clamps.
Step 3. PLace place bucket under radiator drain hole. Remain Calm
Step 4. Remove drain plug. if unsure of condition of drain plug, you may choose to remove lower radiator hose. Come to think of it, why not replace your hoses now?
Step 5. Drain radiator. Remain Calm
Step 6. Repeat Step 1
Step 7. Remove bucket of coolant from under car. Empty bucket into appropriate container. Use a funnell.
Step 8. Detach Coolant hoses and temperature sensor from the water pump housing. Remain Calm
Step 9. Loosen Idler pulley main bolt. (15mm) This may/will be difficult. Will most likely require the use of a box wrench slipped over the end of the bolt, parralel with the ground. Use a short length of pipe or similar braced against the other end, and tap it with a mallet to loosen. Remain Calm.
Step 10. Loosen tensioning bolt (15mm) located to the upper left of the pulley, next to power steering pump. Remain Calm. It may be necessary to tap the bolt backl down against the bracket as it comes loose to move the pulley. USe the pipe and a mallet to tap it gently down.
Step 11. Repeat Step 1
Step 12. Memorize, jot, or take a picture of the belt routing.
Step 13. Slip belt off of water pump pulley. Why not change your belt?
Step 14. Loosen the bolts of the WP Pulley and remove. The use of two wrenches will be necessary to get the bolts to turn without spinnign the pulley. Remain calm. (Editors note: hey? can we loosen them with the belt on to make this step easier. . . is there a reason why not?)
Step 15. Remove bolts holding water pump to engine.
Step 15. Remove water pump. Hold it over your head in victory.
Step 16. Put the water pump down. Stop dancing.
Step 17. PLace clean rag in hole to prevent crud from falling in your engine.
Step 18. Carefully clean old gasket from engine block.
Step 19. Remove the rag.
Step 20. Apply gasket sealant to new water pump and engine block <- not sure about this
Step 21. PLace new water pump in position. slide bolts in to hold it in place. Remain Calm
Step 22. Tighten bolts to correct torque specifications < - Can anyoen help him out wiht this?
Step 22. Reinstall water pump pulley. Remain Calm.
Step 23. Replace Belt on water pump pulley - if new one, make sure to route correctly. loosen the idler pulley further as needed.
Step 24. Check routing of belt.
Step 25. Replace All disconnected hoses and temperature sensor. Are they new hoses? Did you get new clamps?
Step 26. Retighten tensioning bolt. Remain Calm
Step 27. Check belt tension.
Step 28. Tighten main idler pulley bolt.
Step 29. Check belt tension.
Step 30. Did you reattach ALL the hoses? What about the lower one? Did you take that off to drain and then forget about it since you;ve been working up top?
Step 31. Reattach lower radiator hose. Remain Calm
Step 32. Refill coolant system.
Step 33. Call friends for ride to Autozone to purchase coolant. Remain Calm
Step 34. Refill coolant system.
Step. 35. Start vehicle.
Step 36. Check for leaks.
Step 37. Drink.
jdtorque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
xjokee
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Take your time and all will go well. It's a three beer job.
Mike
Unread 01-30-2011, 04:10 AM   #5
XJ-in-the-snow
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Knocked it out last night, no problem. It was easy.

I just don't like going into a job without knowing if there's anything weird or special I should know first.
I'm used to working on VWs, there are very few jobs on those that don't have some sort of trick to 'em.

Someone should really fix the FAQs, 'cause with broken links, that s**t is worthless.
Unread 01-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
NYREVIS24
1995 XJ Cherokee 

when i did mine all i did was drain the lower radiator hose , i didnt even loosen the belt..i just put the wheele on the belt and slipped the bolts on ...i didnt remove anything not even the fan.....all i had to do was google a diagram of the belt so i knew how it went back on
NYREVIS24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
jdtorque
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Gonn ahave to take my own advice this weekend, as it looks like min eis bad now - said you didn;t have any problems - bout how long did it take?
jdtorque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
NYREVIS24
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtorque View Post
Gonn ahave to take my own advice this weekend, as it looks like min eis bad now - said you didn;t have any problems - bout how long did it take?
took me an hour....scraping the old gasket off,cleaning the surface,putting rtv on the gasket ....it all depends on if u take off the fan and other things to make it easier to get to....but i did my 95 xj without taking anything off besides the belt wheele that is in the way...four bolts ....i didnt even loosen the belt .i just took the wheel off and moved the belt out of the way....and when your done putting the new water pump in ....just reverse the process,put the belt wheel you took off back on the same way ...u might have to have someone screw the bolts in the belt wheele while u line up the bolt holes on the belt wheel....very easy............and i googled the belt diagram and printed it out to figure out how the belt went back on............................

.if your not good with tight spots your better off just taking the fan off for more room
NYREVIS24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
XJ-in-the-snow
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I removed the airbox and the electrical fan
then removed the idler pulley and belt
then the waterpump pulley
then the rad hose (why I pulled the airbox and fan out)
then the pump
put in the new pump, used a thin coat of bearing grease to get the gasket to stick
put on the new idler pulley and WP pulley
threaded in the new belt
put on the new rad hose
put back the fan and airbox
filled 'er up
off I went
Unread 02-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-in-the-snow View Post
Knocked it out last night, no problem. It was easy.

I just don't like going into a job without knowing if there's anything weird or special I should know first.
I'm used to working on VWs, there are very few jobs on those that don't have some sort of trick to 'em.

Someone should really fix the FAQs, 'cause with broken links, that s**t is worthless.
I worked as a service manager at an AMC/Jeep/Renault VW dealership in the early 80s. I know about the VWs. Now you know why I'm not on a VW forum...........
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 03:43 AM   #11
XJ-in-the-snow
1994 XJ Cherokee 

VWs are awesome and easy once you learn 'em.
I doubt there will ever be a time when I don't own a VW. The GTI I have now will be with me for a long, long time.
Unread 02-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #12
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
I doubt there will ever be a time when I don't own a VW. The GTI I have now will be with me for a long, long time.
Good to know. I was working with them when they had Rabbits, Dashers, Vanagons and the like, some with diesels............

Our factroy rep had to be a direct decendent of Adolf Hitler.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #13
01ClassicXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
My MK2 GLI is easy to work on as long as i have my bently repair manual or also know as the bible on vwvortex. My vw will also be here long after the jeep.
01ClassicXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #14
XJ-in-the-snow
1994 XJ Cherokee 

yeah, the Bentley Bible is crucial. Vortex has really really good DIYs too. I have a mk2 Jetta Coupe VR6 and a mk3 GTI VR6.

Are you on fastdubs?

My XJ is leaking coolant again, btw. FML

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.