4.0 w/Coil Packs - Few questions and need suggestions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
dsigned
2000 XJ Cherokee 

4.0 w/Coil Packs - Few questions and need suggestions

Ive got a 2000 Cherokee Limited, 4.0L w/coil packs instead of dist. 2xx,xxx miles. It started knocking so I parked it (after listening to morons that had me put thicker oil and yada yada). Motor is at the machine shop and one of the pistons broke and screwed one of the cylinders. Theyre looking for blocks but apparently the "Limited" also pertains to the different motor (hard to find block and expensive). I know a decent amount about vehicles and motors and Im lost.

My questions:
1) What is the difference from that motor and a regular 4.0 from that year (other then lack of dist.)?
2) Can I just use a "Regular" 4.0 from around the same year?
3) What all would have to be swapped if I did swap it? (computer, trans, etc.)

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 05:30 PM
rugsucka
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The block is the same regardless of the model. Limited is the package - usually painted mirrors, body cladding, etc. Sometimes with fog lights, leather, blah blah blah.

You need a block from any 2000+ coil pack 4.0L - XJ, TJ, WJ.(Cherokee, TJ Wrangler, Grand Cherokee) They are common, and after 2002 they have the better head that is less prone to cracking that the first couple years of the coil pack head stamped 0331.

Earlier motors 1999 and down use different exhaust, wiring harness, and computer among other things.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The TJ blocks are a bit different (mounting of accessories), I believe.

Limited does not have a special engine, though.

Also look at having the head replaced - 0331 heads are known to crack. Unfortauntely, the early coil pack engines are known to crack piston skirts.

2000 XJ - 3.5'' Lift & Skinny Mudders.
Previous: A CJ, Few TJs and JK.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 07:02 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any 1990-2001 XJ or 1993-98 ZJ 4.0L engine block will interchange.

Simply remove and re-use as needed (or required): cylinder head, distributor or coil rail ignition, manifolds, fan belt driven accessories, sensors, flywheel/flex plate. Early TJ block will also work, but 2000+ TJ and any WJ blocks will not be a simple pain-free swap and should not be considered. You can do the work/modifications required for a TJ/WJ block, but XJ blocks are way to easy to find.

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ. These blocks are not esaily interchangeable with XJ blocks. The motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 PM
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Any 1990-2001 XJ or 1993-98 ZJ 4.0L engine block will interchange.

Simply remove and re-use as needed (or required): cylinder head, distributor or coil rail ignition, manifolds, fan belt driven accessories, sensors, flywheel/flex plate. Early TJ block will also work, but 2000+ TJ and any WJ blocks will not be a simple pain-free swap and should not be considered. You can do the work/modifications required for a TJ/WJ block, but XJ blocks are way to easy to find.

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ. These blocks are not esaily interchangeable with XJ blocks. The motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.
THIS. 2000+ TJ and the WJ blocks WILL NOT work. Great advice Tim!
post #6 of 6 Old 09-12-2012, 10:44 AM
buildin1XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Josh Tim has you on the right track. I would like to know what cylinder the piston broke in? BTW you will need to use your 0331 head but as Tim said any 90 to 01 XJ block will work.If I were spending the money to do a short block rebuild I would not even consider using your origional head because of the very well documented head crack issue,thats the reason for my asking what cyl the piston broke in.Good Luck with your rebuild.

Tags
4.0 i6 , engine block interchange , engine help , engine swap , limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.