Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

4.0 torque specs for head!

49K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  AZ Jeff 
#1 ·
I am about to do a head gasket replacement job on my friend's 2001 jeep cherokee w/ the 4.0 litre. If someone could give me a link to a good amount of information that would be quite helpfull!

P.S. I am 20min away from doing the work and a quick response would really help a lot! THX!

#3 ·
rivers edge said:
I am about to do a head gasket replacement job on my friend's 2001 jeep cherokee w/ the 4.0 litre. If someone could give me a link to a good amount of information that would be quite helpfull!

P.S. I am 20min away from doing the work and a quick response would really help a lot! THX!
Straight from the FSM:

Tighten the engine cylinder head bolts in sequence according to the following procedure (Fig. 56).
CAUTION: During the final tightening sequence, bolt No.11 will be tightened to a lower torque than the rest of the bolts. DO NOT overtighten bolt No.11.
(a) Tighten all bolts in sequence (1 through 14) to 30 N·m (22 ft. lbs.) torque.
(b) Tighten all bolts in sequence (1 through 14) to 61 N·m (45 ft. lbs.) torque.
(c) Check all bolts to verify they are set to 61 N·m (45 ft. lbs.) torque.
(d) Tighten bolts in sequence: Bolts 1 through 10 to 149 N·m (110 ft. lbs.)
torque. Bolt 11 to 135 N·m (100 ft. lbs.) torque. Bolts 12 through 14 to 149 N·m (110 ft. lbs.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.