4.0 sucks too much fuel, replaced a bunch of junk, no difference. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 4.0 sucks too much fuel, replaced a bunch of junk, no difference.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #31
jjshbetz11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshbetz11
Drive like there's a egg between the skinny pedal and foot. Draft semi's whenever possible, pizza cutter tires, little higher than normal tire pressure, open element air filter, new plugs, no muffler, and reset PCM. Don't know the mileage I get but I travel a hundred miles a day 5 to six days a week. A full tank on Monday morning gets me to Thursday. I have to refill on Friday. That's roughly 400 miles to the tank. Also keep rpm at 2k or less

sent from a flat black thingie

Hello 2000xj
jjshbetz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #32
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerMeister View Post
Unless youre referring to the use of AC, how does summer heat negativley affect mileage? The general notion is that it is better for mileage for several reasons.
It's affecting air density.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #33
xj_noob
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Drive like there's a egg between the skinny pedal and foot. Draft semi's whenever possible, pizza cutter tires, little higher than normal tire pressure, open element air filter, new plugs, no muffler, and reset PCM. Don't know the mileage I get but I travel a hundred miles a day 5 to six days a week. A full tank on Monday morning gets me to Thursday. I have to refill on Friday. That's roughly 400 miles to the tank.

That's unreal Hahaha
xj_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #34
jjshbetz11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That's an estimate, but ya, is what it is. These are highway and country miles were talking, in the city it's a totally different game.

Hello 2000xj
Unread 08-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #35
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile View Post
It's affecting air density.
Yes exactly, but in the opposite way. Colder denser air reduces mpg, and warmer less dense air is better for mpg. Not only for resistance, but there is less oxygen in the combustion chamber because of this which causes the computer to lean out the mixture.

Lots of things on this when you google it. Humidty also causes the air to be even less dense.

That and fluid viscosity, warm-up times, and gasoline blends.
DerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #36
rosco219
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshbetz11 View Post
how did you reset your PCM
rosco219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #37
jjshbetz11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You unhook pos and negative battery cables and touch positive cable to a ground source( ac comp) then hook cables back back up. Then turn key to run but don't crank it. Then with key still in run, turn on headlights, then turn off headlights. Then start it up. That's it.

Hello 2000xj
Unread 08-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #38
Armycherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy

Seafoam doesnt do squat. Other than waste money, overheat your cat, and annoy the neighborhood.

If your injectors are dirty, swap them with newer ones. Might help.
So a 10 dollar can of cleaner doesn't work but you want to drop about 40 to 60 bucks for just one injector and there are 6 of them so how is that better? Start cheap then work your way to the expensive fixes
Armycherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #39
rosco219
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
You unhook pos and negative battery cables and touch positive cable to a ground source( ac comp) then hook cables back back up. Then turn key to run but don't crank it. Then with key still in run, turn on headlights, then turn off headlights. Then start it up. That's it.

sounds like your joking ?

sent from my Samsung galaxy s2
rosco219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #40
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I run 4.5 with 33x12.50 KM2s. I run my tires at 28 psi and I got 15-17 before I did the injectors. Havent run a full tank yet, but I can already see an increase in what gas I did have in it. (I also had a leaky injector, upgraded to the neons)

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #41
Armycherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

About how much did those injectors cost?
Armycherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #42
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

its been a while. thought i'd let you all know whats been going on lately with my MPG. I got 4.10 gears, 33" BFG all terrains. and i used an online calculator to find out how much i need to adjust my calculations due to different gear ratios and tire sizes compared to stock. been using the same way of measuring the amount of fuel consumed after driving X miles. Also did a long 2 hour drive into the mountains but most of it was on long stretches of freeway. during this trip, i averaged 15.5MPG. around town, to and from school, i get an average of 13.1 MPG. this is little better than what i had earlier, but im still jealous of the MPG the rest of you seem to be getting. My tire is still on the top as i cant fit a 33 in the trunk. but back when i still have 31s i had it in the trunk for a while and my MPG got better by less then 0.5 so it does make a slight difference. I am already doing a little research on neon injectors. any news from those who have done that already?

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #43
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Do you have access to a GPS, or GPS functions on a smart phone, to record *actual* miles traveled instead of relying on calculated miles?

And just to add (not very much) to the whole mileage discussion (of the week), I get between 12 and 15 MPG (typically 13.x) "around town" and 17-19 on extended highway trips (at extended highway speeds *cough*).
I don't recall specifically what my mileage was before the lift, but it wasn't drastically different; and it's stayed the same with the spare on the roof.

We drive Jeeps, not econo-boxes
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 , mpg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.