4.0 overheating problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 4.0 overheating problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
89jpcherokee

4.0 overheating problem

ok i got a mystery on my hands my cherokee will overheat... replaced the thermostat with housing and the water pump (which WAS bad) still is getting too hot at about 180 the warning light kicks on but dosnt seem like its gettin that hot yet also my electric fan doenst kick on... seems fine sitting there at idle but as soon as i drive it anywhere it starts to overheat

89jpcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The electric fan shouldn't kick on until around 212*. The normal operating temp is 210*. How hot is it getting? And it getting hotter while driving leads to a low flow problem. You most likely have some blockage in the radiator.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
89jpcherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
The electric fan shouldn't kick on until around 212*. The normal operating temp is 210*. How hot is it getting? And it getting hotter while driving leads to a low flow problem. You most likely have some blockage in the radiator.
we flushed the system twice seems like its fine another thing is that how this all started was it blew the lower radiator hose then the next morning it blew the upper
Unread 04-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

your warning light kicks on at 180 degrees??? Cherokees are designed to run at 210. You may have more than one problem. Mine overheated once and it turned out to be a bunch of things at once that made the cooling system weak. Once the temp goes past 210 degrees you should hear the electric fan kick on. If it doesnt and the temp keeps rising than you have to check the wiring for the electric fan and see that its working properly. You said that you replaced the water pump... what about the fan clutch? They only last about 5 years. Some other issues could be the thermostat or the radiator. Mine was all blocked up once and the radiator looked pretty nasty as well as the coolant. What year is your jeep? Your user name has "89" in it so if your jeep is an '89 then it has the "closed" cooling system. My old '90 had the same thing. Make sure your coolant bottle isnt leaking or cracked and try putting a new cap on it to hold the pressure. Did you make sure and "burp" the air out of the system when you put in the new water pump? Hope these things can help you track down the problem...also check to make sure the jeep is actually overheating and that your gauge isn't messin' with ya

Edit: took me too long to type this so didnt see the posts above...sounds like a blocked radiator

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

OP has a closed cooling system, which is VERY prone to air bubbles messing things up. You need to let out the air, and you should be fine. You should be able to remove the temperature gauge sender near the back of the head to get most of it out.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I completely looked over the year model, and would agree completely that you have air trapped in the system. Burping the system should fix your problems.http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...BurpAirMod.htm
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
Unread 04-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
89jpcherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
your warning light kicks on at 180 degrees??? Cherokees are designed to run at 210. You may have more than one problem. Mine overheated once and it turned out to be a bunch of things at once that made the cooling system weak. Once the temp goes past 210 degrees you should hear the electric fan kick on. If it doesnt and the temp keeps rising than you have to check the wiring for the electric fan and see that its working properly. You said that you replaced the water pump... what about the fan clutch? They only last about 5 years. Some other issues could be the thermostat or the radiator. Mine was all blocked up once and the radiator looked pretty nasty as well as the coolant. What year is your jeep? Your user name has "89" in it so if your jeep is an '89 then it has the "closed" cooling system. My old '90 had the same thing. Make sure your coolant bottle isnt leaking or cracked and try putting a new cap on it to hold the pressure. Did you make sure and "burp" the air out of the system when you put in the new water pump? Hope these things can help you track down the problem...also check to make sure the jeep is actually overheating and that your gauge isn't messin' with ya

Edit: took me too long to type this so didnt see the posts above...sounds like a blocked radiator
yes it is an 89 and the fan and the radiator do seem "old" to say the least we did burp the system and the collant bottle is new also (was doing the plugs one day and was too short to reach the last one and slipped sitting on the engine and my elbow landed on the bottle) also another thing is that if you let the truck heat up the coolant in the bottle will surge up and down and spill out of the bottle the hotter the engine gets the more violent the surge (splashing and what not) i dont know if im missing something or adding too much coolant, not enough coolant or if its another broken part radiator etc... also i dont have a garage im doing this in my backyard

i will burp the system again tomarrow and see if it helps any thanks a lot so far guys
Unread 04-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Just a thought if you replaced the lower hose, did you get one with a spring in it? If not could be the hose collapsing and cutting off the flow of coolant while driving. That would explain the temp being okay when idling and it running hot when driving.
Unread 04-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
89jpcherokee

my orig hose didnt have a spring in it tho
Unread 04-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #10
1deadeye
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89jpcherokee View Post
we flushed the system twice seems like its fine another thing is that how this all started was it blew the lower radiator hose then the next morning it blew the upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89jpcherokee View Post
also another thing is that if you let the truck heat up the coolant in the bottle will surge up and down and spill out of the bottle the hotter the engine gets the more violent the surge (splashing and what not) i dont know if im missing something or adding too much coolant, not enough coolant or if its another broken part radiator etc..
Check to see if the upper radiator hose is rock hard when warmed up. Make sure the cap is on the resevoir. If it's rock hard you have a bad head gasket. Would explain everything in the quotes above.
Scott
1deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
89jpcherokee

ok so i got home today added some coolant to it the bottle was bone dry... took it out and drove it for about 5 minutes with the heat on and the temp light started to come on very dim then getting brighter... i shut the heat off and almost immediately the light went out... drove it around for like 15 more minutes with no problem except everytime i turn the heat on the light comes on also the radiator hoses are kind of hard but not anything that seems too unusual when you say "rock hard" you should not be able to squeeze it easily i presume mine wasnt impossible to squeeze but did have some pressure
Unread 04-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #12
89jpcherokee

also its a cool day out today with heavy rain its about 50 here
Unread 04-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
kongpheng
2001 XJ Cherokee 

burp the system with the Air Conditioner ON. lots of people forget about the air conditioner when burping. if there is air inside your heater core, you need to get it out! my .02
K&N Drop in Air Filter & Procomp 10" E-Fan
AirRaid TB spacer w/ 62mm Bored TB
BFG All-Terrain K.O. on Black ProComp 87's
kongpheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #14
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongpheng View Post
burp the system with the Air Conditioner ON. lots of people forget about the air conditioner when burping. if there is air inside your heater core, you need to get it out! my .02

I recently replaced my engine and went ahead and replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat and all hoses at the same time. I oredered my radiator from radiatorbarn.com and it is the 3 layer kind. My engine actually runs hotter now then before. I assume I probably have all types of air bubbles. You mentioned the need to burp the system. How do you do that?
bhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #15
89jpcherokee

its says above how to. click on the link that xjfever posted i think i have a little more problem then trapped air i think air is getting added the system via the head gasket luckily i work at a jeep dealer and have the service manual so it should be very straight forward now

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.