4.0 Flywheel Alignment ... Critical??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 4.0 Flywheel Alignment ... Critical???

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 Flywheel Alignment ... Critical???

Working on replacing the clutch in my friends 1992 4.0 AX-15 equipped Cherokee - I pulled the flywheel down to press a new bearing in, thinking that it was like my 2.5L - lo and behold the bearing is pressed into the crank, ick!

I can deal with that based on the threads here but my fear here is that I did NOT mark the position of the flywheel vs. the crank before I popped it down!!! I did my best there when I got it back up..

I marked the freaking bolts - but not the flywheel and crank.. Genius...

looking over a few threads here, I'm a little scared that I'm going to have to open the tranny and engine over and over to readjust it... However, I'm wondering if the engine computer will look at the position of the flywheel and then just balance out the fact that it's the factory flywheel and the tone windows are the same, it will just need to adjust the timing?????

bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

If the flywheel is position sensitive, there two methods used commonly:

1. one bolt (or more) is offset from the others, thus preventing installation in more than one position.
2. one or more dowel pins will be used, with an offset pattern, to locate the flywheel.

If you do not see those, assume it is not position sensitive.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
If the flywheel is position sensitive, there two methods used commonly:

1. one bolt (or more) is offset from the others, thus preventing installation in more than one position.
Yes. AMC-patterned cranks have asymmetrical patterns so that the flywheel (or flexplate in the case of an automatic) only goes on one way for proper counterweight clocking purposes.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yep - final word - THANK HEAVEN it is ONLY possible to put it on one way! Success!! Then... the clutch PEDAL broke... New thread for that...
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 , cps , flywheel , timing

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.