4.0 engine compatibility - Page 7 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 123 Old 08-01-2016, 03:34 PM
drewjbx

XJ to ZJ accessories

hello all, I want to put in a 1998 XJ motor into a 1998 ZJ... Posts in this thread does show the blocks are interchangable.. my question is will everything else bolt into place, fuel injection, AC, steering pump, etc...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 123 Old 08-01-2016, 03:51 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Remove and re-use as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, engine sensors, motor mounts, fan belt driven accessories and/or mounting brackets. They will all bolt on.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #93 of 123 Old 08-21-2016, 10:46 AM
ptuttle78

If I wanted to put a 2000 Cherokee motor into a 97 TJ wrangler. What all would I need from Cherokee besides the motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #94 of 123 Old 08-21-2016, 11:25 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nothing.

Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, engine sensors, motor mounts, fan belt driven accessories and/or mounting brackets.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #95 of 123 Old 10-17-2016, 12:46 PM
Whitelx1

I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee and will be needing a motor.
Will a motor from a 1998 Cherokee work..
Thanks in Advance..
post #96 of 123 Old 10-17-2016, 02:02 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelx1 View Post
I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee and will be needing a motor.
Will a motor from a 1998 Cherokee work..
Thanks in Advance..
You'd have to swap your head over to it to maintain the coil less ignition and thus your PCM, but as far as I know the block would fit. Some of the bolt ons are likely different as well. Almost definitely the exhaust, good chance the intake as well as accessory brackets. Hopefully others have more for you.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #97 of 123 Old 10-17-2016, 04:44 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee and will be needing a motor. Will a motor from a 1998 Cherokee work..

No, it will not work.

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent significant design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand Cherokee and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with any XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason why is because motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

post #98 of 123 Old 10-17-2016, 07:20 PM
Whitelx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Quote:
I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee and will be needing a motor. Will a motor from a 1998 Cherokee work..

No, it will not work.

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent significant design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand Cherokee and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with any XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason why is because motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.
Thanks for your reply...
What about a 05 Wrangler...
post #99 of 123 Old 10-17-2016, 08:58 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Thanks for your reply...
What about a 05 Wrangler...
XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks, and the 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1991 to 1995 YJ and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

XJ: "Regular" (not Grand) Cherokees 84-01
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 93-98 (Gen1)
WJ: Grand Cherokee 99-04 (Gen2)
YJ: Wrangler 87-95 (Gen1)
TJ: Wrangler 97-06 (Gen2)

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

post #100 of 123 Old 02-19-2017, 11:37 AM
KJinAZ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I am looking to swap the engine out of my 2001 TJ. I bought an engine from a 1999 TJ that I want to put a stroker kit in before making the swap. I have read through the posts and I am sure this question has been answered many times, but I am still confused if this swap is compatible. I did notice when disassembling the donor engine that there were some differences in the accessory mounting brackets, but did not look close enough to see if the holes were in the same place. Is there any modifications that would be needed if it is not a straight swap. Any advise is appreciated.
post #101 of 123 Old 02-19-2017, 12:28 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJinAZ View Post
I am looking to swap the engine out of my 2001 TJ. I bought an engine from a 1999 TJ that I want to put a stroker kit in before making the swap. I have read through the posts and I am sure this question has been answered many times, but I am still confused if this swap is compatible. I did notice when disassembling the donor engine that there were some differences in the accessory mounting brackets, but did not look close enough to see if the holes were in the same place. Is there any modifications that would be needed if it is not a straight swap. Any advise is appreciated.
One difference off the bat: 99 uses a distributor. 01 uses distributorless. You'll need to either swap the 99 PCM and such over to controlled the distributor ignition or else find a good 00+ head (preferably 03+ to avoid the bad 0331 casting) that had the proper mounting for the coil on plug setup. I don't know of any other big differences but I'm not a TJ guy so Idk their brackets.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

post #102 of 123 Old 02-19-2017, 12:51 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJinAZ View Post
I am looking to swap the engine out of my 2001 TJ. I bought an engine from a 1999 TJ ......

This question would best and most completely be answered in the TJ forum. It is likely that this is not a simple bolt in swap.

As detailed above, the belt driven accessory locations and possibly the motor mount bolts holes are not compatible. This specific TJ to TJ swap will likely require modifications to the engine bay wire harnesses and A/C lines in addition to possible engine mount modifications.

post #103 of 123 Old 02-19-2017, 01:29 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

See Post 3.
post #104 of 123 Old 04-11-2017, 01:42 PM
drewjbx

Hello... we are doing an engine swap.. both a XJ? (grand cherokee) 98 4.0 engine... wire adapters to exhaust manifold under the carb is different, plus a connector isnt even there on one of the engines (manifold area)
are there are 2 variations for this year? what other changes could there be?
post #105 of 123 Old 07-21-2017, 10:54 PM
jjstrom
1997 ZJ 

If I understand this info correctly a 4.0 from a 93 Cherokee will interchange with the 4.0 in my 97 Grand Cherokee. Understanding that I may have to reuse a few parts. If I have to reuse my intake will it bolt up to the head of the 93 motor. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tags
cherokee , compatibility , engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.