4.0 engine compatibility - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 4.0 engine compatibility

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-09-2013, 05:20 AM   #16
dirtyjeepman
2008 JK Wrangler 

Okay you have some sanity in your post. I have a 2001 WJ GC and want to put a motor from a I believe a 98 ZJ into it. the coil pack bolts are there and most things look the same. I am going to drag the old engine over and comare motor mount bolt holes. Since you sound like you know what you are talking about. Do you think I am going to be able to do this engine swap. I dont want to have the engine hanging in there and find out I cant.. Thanks for the advice.

dirtyjeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #17
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I think you'll find the mounts are different.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #18
bradw76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey im looking to swap a 97 tj engine into a 99 grand cherokee. Would that work?
bradw76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #19
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradw76 View Post
Hey im looking to swap a 97 tj engine into a 99 grand cherokee. Would that work?
Posting #3 on this thread has all the swap compatibility info you need.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Posting #3 on this thread has all the swap compatibility info you need.
And here's an updated version:

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1991 to 1995 YJ and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

XJ: "Regular" (not Grand) Cherokees 84-01
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 93-98 (Gen1)
WJ: Grand Cherokee 99-04 (Gen2)
YJ: Wrangler 87-95 (Gen1)
TJ: Wrangler 97-06 (Gen2)

Unread 04-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #21
Lunchman

Ok I have a similar question, I have read the posts and get a bit confused with all the xj xj Aj and all the other jays lol, I have a 99 xj Cherokee 4.0 that like many threw a rod! I just recently picked up a low mileage 4.0 out of a 96 Cherokee , will the swap work and can I use everything from my 99 4.0? Ie: intake manifold / exhaust header , all pulleys , belt driven accessories and if it will work do I use a felpro manifold gasket for a 96 or for a 99 , I would greatly appreciate any information since this is my first venture in jeep territory lol and all you guys seem to know what your talking about!

Thanks for your time

Last edited by Lunchman; 04-04-2014 at 05:45 PM..
Lunchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #22
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
XJ Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

Remove and re-use as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, engine sensors, fan belt driven accessories and/or mounting brackets.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #23
Lunchman

Thank you for the info, I appreciate your time and expertise , should I use a 96 manifold gasket or a 99? I noticed there is a small difference in the two and a price difference as well.

Thanks
Unread 04-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #24
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Use the gasket specified for the manifold you're using.

Unread 04-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #25
Lunchman

Will do and Thanks again my friend!
Unread 04-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #26
Lunchman

Hello again guys, I have a problem with an engine swap I did , I have a 99 Cherokee that had a rod knock so I replaced that with a 96 4.0, all went well with the swap, I had to take the coil off the 99 engine that worked before and put it on the 96 because the plug was different , I also swapped out the distributor from the 99 and put it in the 96 for the same reason, the plug was different, I lined up the rotor and distributor from the 99 as close as possible to where the original one was on the 96 . My problem now is I am not getting any spark whatsoever! I am getting fuel, she cranks good and strong but no spark, I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas , thanks in advance for your time!
Unread 04-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #27
Lunchman

I have an update, it turned out to be the cps , when installing the new motor I must have take. Out one of the mounting bolts for the cps , I put that bolt back in which In turn positioned the cps in the correct spot and she fired right up! Ran a lil rough so I figured I would try to tweet the distributor a tooth and that perhaps might make her run a bit better but you know how it goes when you mess with something too much and I did and now I can't find my place on the distributor , I get it in a position were she tries to fire so I go one tooth forward and nothing , I go another tooth back and nothing, is there a way to find my way back or get the timing where it needs to be or at least close?

Thanks
Unread 04-15-2014, 04:55 AM   #28
contrldsub
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i just went thru this last night with my HO engine. i played with the possitioning of the CPS and it all went to hell. put the engine back to TDC and re align the cps and synchro. its not that hard to do and once its done you can check that off your list. here is a how to if your not sure

-pull the coil and number one plug
-place a finger down near the hole and have a friend bump the starter til you feel air come out.
-get a mirror and flash light and look down where your tdc mark is on the crank pully and light up the notch on the pulley with the 0 on the before TDC marks on the block. keep in mind you might have to go backwards to line it up.
-remove your Cam sensor from the synchro and loosen the retaining bolt that holds it into the block.
-rotate the housing around until the hole in the housing lines up with the whole thru the "bladed" piece in the center. i used a small cotter pin to get them lined up really well.
-tight down the retaining bolt, remove the cotter pin and assemble the parts you took off.
contrldsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #29
Lunchman

Hey guys I did exactly what you guys suggested and it worked great, she fired right up, thanks again , your knowledge is very much appreciated.!

Tags
cherokee , compatibility , engine

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.