4.0 engine compatibility - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 4.0 engine compatibility

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
carleesjeep17

4.0 engine compatibility

Hello,
I have a 2000 cherokee sport with the 4.0 eng. I have removed the old eng. that threw a rod. I am searching for a replacement and wondering about compatibility with other years/models. what will work with my 2000 chasis (auto trans; 4X4)???...thanks!

carleesjeep17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
thoag

I be leave every motor 4.0 from 97 to 02 were the same but don't quote me
thoag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine block will fit.

Remove and re-use as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, engine sensors, fan belt driven accessories and/or mounting brackets.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
carleesjeep17

How can you tell if its a ZJ or a WJ Grand Cherokee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.
carleesjeep17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

ZJs were 93 to 98.
Unread 08-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I've posted what changed and when with the 6-242 engine on several boards, and I think this was one of them - you may want to check.

You'll find your options will open up, however, if you look for a short block and clean up the head. Every 6-242 block will accept every 6-242 head, and even the 1975-up 6-258 uses the same screws and screw pattern as the 6-242 (earlier sixes use 7/16"-14 screws, which requires some small adaptation to make them work.)

If you use a RENIX block, just ignore the drilled/tapped hole for the knock sensor (or just put a screw in there and call it good - the hole doesn't communicate with any fluids.)

There were changes to the block (internally - casting revisions) ca. 1991, 1996, and 1999 - but that won't have anything to do with accepting a cylinder head. (Revisions were usually due to NVH - Noise, Vibration, Harshness - concerns.)

I have heard there were differences in mounting between the TJ/YJ and the XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ, but I can't swear to anything. However, they're probably adaptable as well, I'm just not sure how much effort would be involved.

The 2000 XJ 6-242 should have the #0331 head - which was used 1999-up in the TJ and WJ, and 2000-2001 in the XJ. However, there earlier #0331 heads (through about mid-2001) hare the ones that crack, they've ogt about a 50/50 chance of doing it. The heads were revised ca. mid-2001, the revised head carries a cast-in "TUPY" mark on the upper surface.

Typically, the cracking occurs ~150-180Kmiles, and if they crack, it will be on the upper surface, roughly under the oil fill cap (between the #3 and #4 cylinders.) Any of the later #0331 heads will replace the earlier ones, so there are more heads that are less likely to crack than heads that are likely to do so (make sense? I wasn't sure how to phrase that.) Manifolds and attachments will readily swap.

HTH, YMMV
Unread 08-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

This may shed some light on the different blocks:

Unread 08-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
This may shed some light on the different blocks:

I'd thought there was something going on. Do you have any idea what the specific differences might be?
Unread 08-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

Some holes are not drilled/tapped and some simply have no material on the block for a hole to be located in. The swap can be accomplished, but is not worth the efffort.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
JazzGallons

Transmission

Is this the same for transmissions. I have a 1998 wrangler 4.0 and have a 1998 cherokee transmission that I was wanting to put in.
JazzGallons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
Simmbad
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry to jump on your tread, what would the best replacement motor be for a 1989 4.0.... I am in CA so it needs to pass smog... or just rebuild the one I have?
Simmbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:20 AM   #13
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

This will help you. Just use all your "external" stuff.

Cruiser’s HO into Renix Swap

This swap is easier than some will lead you to believe, generally those who have never done it. Those of us who have done it, like myself, will share with you the things that need to be done for a successful swap. Just think of it as swapping in a long block.

The HO and Renix have some differences but none that can’t be overcome very easily.

Any HO engine from an XJ or ZJ through 1999 can be used. One running change was that the rear of the head was no longer drilled and tapped for the temperature gauge sender beginning in the 96 model year. The sender can be relocated to the threaded hole in the thermostat housing taken from the HO engine. You’ll have to extend the wire to that location. Some brave souls even drill and tap the HO head for the sender.

You will be using the intake and exhaust manifolds from your Renix, along with all your sensors and wiring. Since the intake ports of the HO are slightly different, you use the Renix gasket. Exhaust ports are identical.
You will need to use your Renix distributor as it is different than the HO because they use different fuel management systems. The flywheel or flexplate from the Renix must be used so your CPS gets the correct signals. The valve cover from the Renix allows you to keep your CCV system intact and requires no modifications.

The HO block will have a plug in the coolant galley on the driver’s side of the block, closest to the front, which needs to be removed so your Coolant Temp Sensor can be installed in it’s place just as it is on the Renix. It requires a 5/16” square drive or a modified 3/8” drive that has been ground down to fit. Do this before installing the engine.

As for the knock sensor, which is located just above the oil pan on the driver’s side of the engine about mid way, all the blocks I’ve seen are threaded for it. If not, I’ve heard they may be drilled but not tapped. Tap the hole if that’s the case.

Revised 03/28/13

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
Simmbad
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thank for the info, have seen afew low mileage HO motors and had wondered if they would work. My current 4.0 has over 200k on it.
Simmbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #15
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmbad View Post
Thank for the info, have seen afew low mileage HO motors and had wondered if they would work. My current 4.0 has over 200k on it.
No worries.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components

Tags
cherokee , compatibility , engine

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.