JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   4.0 6 quart oil capacity, not me.... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/4-0-6-quart-oil-capacity-not-me-1520857/)

hshark 05-09-2013 01:34 AM

4.0 6 quart oil capacity, not me....

Ok so I've owned my jeep for around two months now and performed an oil change soon after purchase. So when I looked up the oil capacity I found some controversy. Most say 6 quarts and some (very few) say 5 quarts. I've even read that one of the popular repair manuals has it at 5 quarts. So being that the Jeep is new to me I check everything out often and listen for noises, rattles etc. I do this to get a feel for my XJ. So with that said I check my oil level often and noticed that I'm in the safe zone and I only used 5 quarts of oil. The dipstick is not aftermarket so that rules out dipstick issues anyone else have similar results? My XJ is a 96 sport which should be the same 4.0 engine in most XJ. Oh and I don't have a factory manual either. What do you guys think?

Timo_90xj 05-09-2013 04:09 AM

When replacing engine oil and oil filter, fill up to top level on the oil dipstick. It usually requires about 5.5 quarts, but depending on oil filter etc. it's something between 5-6 quarts. 6 quarts is the fill level for a dry engine, ie. after a rebuild. Some oil always remains in the engine when changing oil.

Kalali 05-09-2013 06:16 AM

My 00XJ requires 6 Qts according to the OM and that's what I have used for the past 180K miles since I've owned the car new. The oil capacity is not a debatable topic. It is what the manual calls for.

Timo_90xj 05-09-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalali (Post 15409753)
My 00XJ requires 6 Qts according to the OM and that's what I have used for the past 180K miles since I've owned the car new. The oil capacity is not a debatable topic. It is what the manual calls for.

So according to you, if let's say 0.3 quarts of oil does not drain out from the engine, you nevertheless pour in 6 quarts of oil and overfill the engine? Fact is, you pour in oil until dipstick reads oil level is at maximum. It could be 5.5 quarts, it could be 5.9 quarts, or whatever depwnding on how much oil did not drain out. Overfilling oil is not what you want to do.

PaYankee 05-09-2013 09:47 AM

I always end up using 5.5 quarts or I don't get in the safe zone.

98GooseXJ14 05-09-2013 11:06 AM

All of mine with a filter have taken 6.5 qts to get to the top of the dipstick. Never understood why..

hshark 05-09-2013 12:29 PM

See this is why I'm confused. Timo brought up an interesting point about engine oil staying inside engine, I guess I will just go off my dipstick. From now on when someone asks oil capacity I will answer till dipstick reads full or safe our manual which I don't have might say six, but I'm good at 5. Beats me......

TheBoogieman 05-09-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalali (Post 15409753)
My 00XJ requires 6 Qts according to the OM and that's what I have used for the past 180K miles since I've owned the Jeep new. The oil capacity is not a debatable topic. It is what the manual calls for.

Fixed that bad mistake for you.:wave:

buildin1XJ 05-09-2013 02:08 PM

I agree with TIMO add 5 quarts check the dip stick and add from there. Start the engine to fill oil filter shut off let sit for 5 minutes and recheck the oil level.

djb383 05-09-2013 08:32 PM

Somewhere between the 2 marks is "perfect". The top mark is "max", the bottom mark is "minimum". If the top mark were "perfect" (where oil level should always be), there would only be 1 mark, no?

xjdantheman 05-09-2013 11:10 PM

you know i changed the oil in my jeep and i put in 6 quarts and it only read at the add line. that was right after the oil change and then a couple days later, level never changed.

so i added one more quart and its right on the money. as far as i can tell the dipstick is original and seats fine, so i am either a quart over or somehow my oil filter is over sized.

Timo_90xj 05-10-2013 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djb383 (Post 15413835)
Somewhere between the 2 marks is "perfect". The top mark is "max", the bottom mark is "minimum". If the top mark were "perfect" (where oil level should always be), there would only be 1 mark, no?

Nope, top mark is perfect and anything below that affects in quite a few things. Minimum is the minimum amount that you can safely run the engine under normal use. Don't consider, for example, extremely steep up- or downhills when wheeling to be "normal use" ;)

mschi772 05-10-2013 05:18 AM

Changing oil after running the engine and warming it up helps the oil flow out better allowing you to get slightly more out. If you're messy/clumsy, you can get burned this way though. The bottom line is: buy more than 5 qts for a 4.0 oil change. Changing the oil warm, I used nearly 6 qts with the stock oil filter size. I run a larger oil filter now and have to add just a little bit more. I just buy two 4 or 5 qt jugs for each oil change. Having some extra oil around can be quite handy or I'll just use it when I change the oil in my girlfriend's Outback since that EJ25 loves the same oil the 4.0 does.

The time now is 09:14 AM.