38/12.50/15 xj lift question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 38/12.50/15 xj lift question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
00srad600
1989 XJ Cherokee 

38/12.50/15 xj lift question

I wanna run 38/12.50/15 on my 89 xj 4 door. I plan on getting the skyjacker 8 inch lift long arm kit. Will them 38 fit with trimming or will I have to get spacers to. For the axles my buddy has a set of d35 supers that are locked with 5.44 gears. I have the 4.0 in it anyone see any problems with this

00srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
831xj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've seen 37s on 3 inch lift just gotta trim and bump stop accordingly.
831xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
00srad600
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Well I mean I had 38's on my 88 ranger with no lift and stock bump stops. But a pick up bed is easier to tub out then a body on xj. What I wanted to know is if the skyjacker 8 inch lift with minor trimming will work. Or will a coil spacer and a blocks be needed
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think you should consider some real axles for 38's.

Nothing less than a beefed up 44 front and rear 60.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
00srad600
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Well being there free and there d35 supers. That and your little Dana's ain't real axles if I'm going to spend that kinda cash ill build the 2.5 ton rock wells I have sitting in the woods. But free is free and locked d35s should hold up for me. But then I use my head when wheeling not my foot.
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Agent620
Rescue Red 5!

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00srad600 View Post
Well being there free and there d35 supers. That and your little Dana's ain't real axles if I'm going to spend that kinda cash ill build the 2.5 ton rock wells I have sitting in the woods. But free is free and locked d35s should hold up for me. But then I use my head when wheeling not my foot.
Good luck and have fun snapping those axles!
Don't know why people come on here asking for opinions and then do their own thing when they get told its the wrong way. No logic to that. But thats just me.
Chris Hansen is reading this thread.

If you've ever been in that traffic, you would have ground down the steering wheel with a death grip too. "Just ****ing GOOOOOO!!!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
I pitty anyone who tries to reach into that netting unaware.
'99 TJ (DD)
'89 XJ (WIP)
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
If you know more than us then why are you asking for our advice?

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
chance_p
2008 WK 

Quote:
So you acknowledge the little d35 isnt a good axle, but then say youre gonna use it anyways. So when everyone here tells you that skyjacker kit is garbage compared to other options, are you just gonna ignore that advice also?

8 inch skyjacker kit.... on rockwells. Lol
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
00srad600
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Well I wasn't talking about the axles. I wanted to know if 8 inch of lift would be close to being able to fit the 38's under the xj. Right now I don't have the time to rebuild the rockwells. That and I'm pretty sure that the 4.0 with 300,000 miles on it wouldn't last long. Im looking for something to get it up in the air. That and being its my dd I need something I can do in a weekend. Rockwells and a motor and trans swap a little longer then a weekend to do. I understand that the d35 are a weak axle. But then I also ran 36s with a d28 in a ranger for 2 years wheeling every weekend. I only ever busted the stock hubs got a set of mile markers never had a problem. No disrespect to anyone it's just not the info I was looking for. I didn't wanna buy the lift tires and not be able to get everything done in a weekend. That and a buddy of mine built the axles so I know the parts ain't cheapo crap. That and before I put the rockwells under anything I'm going to spend some cash on them more then likely what I paid for the jeep the cost of the lift and tires. That and they will be going under my 88 bronco 2 project I have.
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
00srad600
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Also if the skyjacker 8 inch lift is garbage what full kit or parts from where would be the best. Cause I was also looking at iron rock but they use rough country parts and I never had any luck with there stuff.
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #11
Ekul310
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Clayton
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It's not even worth trying to help OP.

You give him your advice and he's going to turn it around into what he's doing because 'that's what his buddy told him'.

You should go apply at pawn stars ... 'Ive got a buddy'.

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
chance_p
2008 WK 

Sounds like you should just buy the rough country 6.5 inch longarm kit, trim your fenders and call it a day.
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Well I wasn't talking about the axles. I wanted to know if 8 inch of lift would be close to being able to fit the 38's under the xj. Right now I don't have the time to rebuild the rockwells. That and I'm pretty sure that the 4.0 with 300,000 miles on it wouldn't last long. Im looking for something to get it up in the air. That and being its my dd I need something I can do in a weekend. Rockwells and a motor and trans swap a little longer then a weekend to do. I understand that the d35 are a weak axle. But then I also ran 36s with a d28 in a ranger for 2 years wheeling every weekend. I only ever busted the stock hubs got a set of mile markers never had a problem. No disrespect to anyone it's just not the info I was looking for. I didn't wanna buy the lift tires and not be able to get everything done in a weekend. That and a buddy of mine built the axles so I know the parts ain't cheapo crap. That and before I put the rockwells under anything I'm going to spend some cash on them more then likely what I paid for the jeep the cost of the lift and tires. That and they will be going under my 88 bronco 2 project I have.
1. 8" is plenty to clear 38s, especially if you don't mind trimming. There are plenty of people out there running 38s on half that lift.

2. The 300k on the 4.0 is no big deal unless it's been trashed and no ones changed the oil on it. My first XJ had 380k on it when I sold it and it ran like it was brand new. Hell, there's a guy out in CO that's got 650k on his original 4.0 and trans and all he's ever done is basic maintenance.

3. People are telling you you can't run 38s on a d35 for a reason. They're notorious for being weak and I wouldn't even run 33s on one. You WILL break it if you do any remotely serious wheeling on it. Anything short of a halfway built D44 and 8.8 isn't going to handle 38s for long.

If not wasting money is an issue trying to put an 8" lift and 38s on in a weekend let alone on stock axles is downright stupid.

Even aside from the lift and tires you're still going to need drive shafts, SYE, wheels, almost entirely new steering components, regeared axles, brakelines, ect.

If you want to slap a lift and tires that on something in a weekend and go wheel it get rid of the XJ and go buy a full size truck or SUV.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #15
chance_p
2008 WK 

It sounds like you already have the 38's. If you want a solid and reliable toy id sell the 38s. Buy some 33's and a clayton 4.5 inch long arm kit. Add sye and new rear driveshaft. Youll be able to go 95% of the places 38's would take you, and even places an 8 inch lift wouldnt allow you to go. All while not breaking stuff everytime you go wheeling.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.