35's and 4.56..damage possible? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 35's and 4.56..damage possible?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
xtremexj59
1997 XJ Cherokee 

35's and 4.56..damage possible?

hey yall,im regearing my axles(dana 30 up front & chrys 8.25 29 spline in the rear) and ill also be putting in a bearing rebuild kit(new bearings and such). i was curious to ask if i were to run 35's and 4.56 gears on open axles would this be an accident waiting to happen?

Unread 09-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Not necessarily...now your axle shaft strength and ujoints are going to come into question...not to mention if you run with lockers or not.

If it's gonna be a street beater, i dont think it would be a problem

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

No damage worries, but why 4:56 and not 4:88? The 4:88 gears would get you back closer to stock.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
xtremexj59
1997 XJ Cherokee 

im running it open for the time being,i just cant afford a locker at the moment. dont burn for not doing it all at once. im running 4.56 because i have 33's on now and ill have them for awhile but i want to run 35's for the occasional mud pit or soft sand trails
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
xtremexj59
1997 XJ Cherokee 

anyone else want to chime in. criticism is welcome
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I gotcha, The 29 splined 8.25 is only margionally weaker than the d44 so I wouldn't worry about the 35's at all.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
xtremexj59
1997 XJ Cherokee 

how about transmission or transfer case failure due to the stress of the bigger tire? is it much more strain than what 33's put on it?
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The brakes and steering will be the weak points with 35" tires. Running the lower gears will save the t-case and tranny. Lots of folks run 33" tires with stock gears and get by with that set-up, although I wouldn't recommend it. So 4:56's with 35" tires will be a lot easier on the drivetrain.
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #9
xtremexj59
1997 XJ Cherokee 

what would be the weak points in the steering and what could i do to upgrade the brakes and said steering weak points?
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

the tierod is the weak point in the steering, it is made of very thin tubing and will bend very easily. You can replace it with one from a V8 ZJ, which will be much beefier, or there are lots of aftermarket ones out there. The brakes are weak with stock tires and 35's will make them a lot worse. Some folks use WJ knuckles and steering, which will give you bigger brakes and a better steering set-up. There are many options for upgrading though.
Unread 09-08-2009, 01:33 AM   #11
bikedude189
1993 XJ Cherokee 

for the most part the only parts DOWNSTREAM from the gears will be affected. since the engine is supplying the power to the tranny/tcase/driveshafts it will see absolutely no difference in power. if you have horrible axle wrap, then you'll maybe break a u joint, but no possibility of t case or tranny damage beyond stock. and when your tires are trying to spin the axle they have a HARDER time doing it with the lower gears, so lower stress.

long story short, you should be just fine on those axles with open diffs. like said the 8.25 is plenty strong and the 30 is quite beef as well especially with the larger u joints (especially if your running 760x joins) now your weak point is probably the carrier or ring and pinion.

good luck with gears, i just did mine this weekend. couple of tips-
-get a good quality bearing puller, i spent about 200 for one on ebay, definately made my life easier
- 400 degrees in the oven is TOO HOT! it will blue the bearings (at least if they have gear oil on them, we'll see how they hold up...) try 350 or 375 degrees max, and put your pinion in the freezer, the lower pinion bearing will slide on. this trick will save you from having to use a hydraulic press
-a 4 lb sledge will often be your best friend, as well as a large pry bar
-dont compromise and be patient! its so worth it!
-disregaurd all if your having a shop do it
2" LIFT
BFG A/T'S
bikedude189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.