350 Engine Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 350 Engine Swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 10-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
BeavisButthead
1990 XJ Cherokee 

350 Engine Swap

Ive got a fully built 350 and want to swap with my 4.0 any suggestions on how I should go about this

BeavisButthead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Be prepared to use the GM tranny, it will work much better for you. Also cooling will be a problem and will not be cheap. Basically you will end up changing everything before you are done. You will also need to vent the hood so you can cool it.
ChicoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
jkh
1998 XJ Cherokee 

All the information, and many of the parts, you need:

Novak Jeep Conversions - Home

'98 XJ: UpCountry, bastard pack, 2" spacers, JK shocks, 31" BFG AT's
'81 Honda GL500
Colorado Jeep Club Member #399
jkh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
450rracer22
1990 XJ Cherokee 

i actually just finished put a 350 in my 90 cherokee. it was a bit of a bear. the best thing you can get is an entire donor vehicle. i used a 97 silverado with the 5.7L and a 700r4. that way you can basically just swap everything under the hood over to the jeep. your deffinently going to need to go to a GM transmission for sure because a 350 will destroy a jeep tranny very very quickly. I would recomend a 700r4. if you have a 231 transfercase it will be fine, if not better get one or go better.. I had to do a bit of fab work on the front end to get the chevy rad and trans cooler in. i ran dual electric fans instead of the clutch fan. you have plenty of electrical power now. i made a cowl induction hood and it runs around 180. i would not recommend leaving the D35 in the rear if your going to wheel it at all. it will not hold up. i drivetrain upgrade of some sort is in order. the front will be fine unless your really beaten it or have bigger than 33intires on it. i would swap the rear for a ford 8.8 out of a 97-2000 explorer if you wanna do the sye kit or a 8.25 out of a jeep. its quite a project but worth it. i just got back from blackmountain in Harlan ky and i made it way more places with all the extra power. Oh and if the motor is a vortec the hood will most likely not close when your finished.
450rracer22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
jkh
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450rracer22 View Post
i actually just finished put a 350 in my 90 cherokee. it was a bit of a bear. the best thing you can get is an entire donor vehicle. i used a 97 silverado with the 5.7L and a 700r4. that way you can basically just swap everything under the hood over to the jeep. your deffinently going to need to go to a GM transmission for sure because a 350 will destroy a jeep tranny very very quickly. I would recomend a 700r4. if you have a 231 transfercase it will be fine, if not better get one or go better.. I had to do a bit of fab work on the front end to get the chevy rad and trans cooler in. i ran dual electric fans instead of the clutch fan. you have plenty of electrical power now. i made a cowl induction hood and it runs around 180. i would not recommend leaving the D35 in the rear if your going to wheel it at all. it will not hold up. i drivetrain upgrade of some sort is in order. the front will be fine unless your really beaten it or have bigger than 33intires on it. i would swap the rear for a ford 8.8 out of a 97-2000 explorer if you wanna do the sye kit or a 8.25 out of a jeep. its quite a project but worth it. i just got back from blackmountain in Harlan ky and i made it way more places with all the extra power. Oh and if the motor is a vortec the hood will most likely not close when your finished.
Any chance you did a build thread for the swap?

So you put the Chevy radiator in the XJ? How much fab was needed to fit it in? If it's not much, it'd be better than shelling out $500+ for the Novak one.

'98 XJ: UpCountry, bastard pack, 2" spacers, JK shocks, 31" BFG AT's
'81 Honda GL500
Colorado Jeep Club Member #399
jkh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
450rracer22
1990 XJ Cherokee 

alot of fab work is needed. the Chevy rad is roughly 41in wide which takes you just inside the headlight buckets on the jeep. the core support must be redone completely as well as the grill and some of the doghouse. not runnign the clutch fan gives you alot more room . I would just get a new radiator if i had to do it again. if you run the dual electric fan setup there is really no need for that size radiator, but the bigger the better. i have herd of people using 4.3L chevy radiators and the dual fan setup and being fine.
450rracer22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
gregamuffin
1998 XJ Cherokee 

do you think the chevy 4.3l radiator plus the dual electric fan setup would cool a gm diesel 6.2?
gregamuffin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #8
g19n87r

a 97 chevy without a 4l60e?
g19n87r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.