31x10.5r15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 31x10.5r15

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Ralphrlong

31x10.5r15

Anyone know if 31x10.5r15 BFG ATs will fit a non lifted XJ?

I currently have 30x9.5r15 on it and they work great. Would love to go up one more size.

Ralphrlong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphrlong View Post
Anyone know if 31x10.5r15 BFG ATs will fit a non lifted XJ?

I currently have 30x9.5r15 on it and they work great. Would love to go up one more size.
30x9.5R15 is the absolute largest size you can run on a stock XJ.

The 3 best AT in that size IMO are Cooper AT3, BFG AT, and General Grabber AT2 (new version of AT2 released several months ago).

Stated-Claimed height claimed by manufacturer

Cooper AT3 29.3" (which I consider largest safe height for no rubbing on stock XJ). This is my favorite because of smooth ride and great all purpose performance.

BFG AT 29.5" (which might rub a little on some stock XJ). Good tire, but the other 2 tires are better IMO.

General Grabber AT2 29.8" (which is likely to rub on stock XJ). This is tallest and most aggressive AT in 30x9.5R15. It could be called a hybrid tire since it's more aggressive than any other AT that I know of. Great tire. The tough sidewalls can handle hardcore offroading, but ride rough on road. Otherwise great on and off road.

If those rub a little, it is easy to fix.

IMO those ^ are your best options for 30x9.5R15.

There is also the Cooper ST, which runs a bit tall and is a hybrid tire (mix of AT and MT). If you get this, add extra sipes to center treads for Winter traction. Great tire in its day, but as old and outdated a design as a BFG AT. Still great, but will buzz a bit on road. Will be discontinued within next 6 to 12 months. It is the only true hybrid tire made in 30x9.5R15.

Note: I have owned all the tires mentioned, except the Cooper AT3. I would love to try Cooper AT3.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Ralphrlong

Thanks. I also found my answer through some searching. Guess I should have done that first.

Seems 30s are the biggest we can go on a non lifted XJ without getting into rubbing and trimming issues.
Ralphrlong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphrlong View Post
Thanks. I also found my answer through some searching. Guess I should have done that first.

Seems 30s are the biggest we can go on a non lifted XJ without getting into rubbing and trimming issues.
If you want a taller 30 than BFG AT, the General Grabber AT2 and Cooper ST both run taller than BFG.

The Grabber AT2 and Coooper ST are visibly taller and wider than BFG AT.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.