30"s, 29 spline 8.25 locked - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 30"s, 29 spline 8.25 locked

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 12-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
vx1kxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

30"s, 29 spline 8.25 locked

I just sold my 94xj and im picking up my new 2000 xj with a 29 spline rear axle. I plan on making this thing a BUILT daily driver. my plans are: advanced adapters SYE, a 2 inch old man emu lift, Tom woods diveshaft, 30" bfg at/ko front tow hooks and class three hitch in the back.

as far as the axle is concerned i wanna do chromoly shafts and a detoit locker.
do you think by doint that i will have abuilit proof rearend?

do you think this will make a good DD/ light weekend warrior?

Unread 12-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
cbordea
1998 XJ Cherokee 

for 2inches you might not need the SYE/Tom Woods.
cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
vx1kxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

yea, i was thinking the same thing, i guess ill plan for one and if i dont need it ill just get the shafts sooner than later
Unread 12-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

are you lifting it for more flex? I have 30's on the stock suspension and it doesn't rub. I don't rock crawl though (stupid CT )

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
vx1kxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

im lifting it for a few reasons. flex/clearance being one (dont wanna trim PERIOD), weight being a big factor and also i hear OME products a bombproof.
Unread 12-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Chromo shafts and lockers on 30s=bombproof. Go for a 3" lift, 30s are great for flexing because they basically don't rub anything. The only thing I have ever rubbed with 3" lift and 30s was the front splash guard in the wheel well. I was fully stuffed (as in all the weight in that tire, going down a steep ledge) and it was pushed way up into the well, I have stock bumpstops.

I'm stuck between locking the Jeep and building the drivetrain or getting a little more lift and 33x10.5s
Maybe half and half?
4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.
www.maine4x4.org Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
1996BlackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
vx1kxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

well i know the OME lift nets about 3 ish and then settles around 2 from what ive read. I had to sell my last jeep because my parents felt unsafe driving it (3" and 31x11.50 swampers). I know its sounds dumb but my parents are mid 50's and they want something they can drive when the weather is bad or their car breaks down. I live under their roof so i gotta follow the rules lol. I figured 2 inch and 30"s would be acceptable and the builitproof drive train and locker would make it sort of a "sleeper" lol
Unread 12-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
xGArfx
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i wouldnt bother with the chromo shafts, the 30s wont be putting any strain on those shafts ur rear could handle 33s locked on stock shafts easily, use that money for aussies front and rear, skid plates on everything and throw on a zj tie rod.. id say ur money would be better spent that way just my opinion tho, that setup would def make it a sleeper lol roll up on 30s and ppl would be like wtffff ud always have traction, wat kinda tires ru gona throw under ur xj?? also i wouldnt bother with a tw driveshaft save ur money and use a stock front xj shaft for ur sye, they use the same size ujoints so its not like its much stronger, the ujoints are usually the point of failure on the driveshaft anyway..
xGArfx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
vx1kxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the advise guys,

drifshaft wise i was worried about length rather than strength
Unread 12-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vx1kxj View Post
thanks for the advise guys,

drifshaft wise i was worried about length rather than strength
then do a front drive shaft i have one on my 7" lift and my front is streched longer then the back
Unread 12-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
GeologistFelix
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Front driveshaft from an XJ with an auto is perfect for an SYE and an 8.25" rear. At least according to the fine folks here. I haven't read anything that disagrees with them either, so I don't think there's any reason to worry, especially if you're doing a hack-and-tap SYE, since you can cut the output shaft to exactly the right length.
GeologistFelix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
bigbike
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
are you lifting it for more flex? I have 30's on the stock suspension and it doesn't rub. I don't rock crawl though (stupid CT )
I crawl and Im from CT???
bigbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #13
mikes_muse

I have some XJ 29 spline yukon shafts i need to sell. PM me if interested. They are the best axle shafts available for the 8.25 rear end.
mikes_muse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.