post #1 of Old 01-15-2016, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Thewiltz
1996 XJ Cherokee 

3" LIFT w/ nice ride and good price?

96 xj 4.0 all stock as of today.

want to do a 3" lift - i really dont what to get into anything larger as I really dont want to have to think about regearing, SYE, drive line angles, etc...

i use the XJ for hunting, not trail riding, not mudding, not desert racing... I take it about 40-100 miles on road (interstates) to my hunting areas and then travel logging roads/dirt roads to my hunting spots. The worst it sees is rutted up logging roads and muddy trails. its not my DD.

I will be replacing ALL bushing and any worn links while under there.

I will be running 265/70/17 JK take offs, i have a set of 1.5" spacers. i will trim as needed.
(no need to discuss wheel spacers, its done and im running them )

I have a new set of TJ sway bar links, and Im ordering an adj track bar next week. (just getting a few things at a time)

SOOOO. I had decided on a 3" Zone lift. I have now come to the conclusion that this will be a VERY HARSH ride. NO GO for me as I have enough joint and neck pain as it is. The worn out stock suspension is about all i can handle for rough ride. I must replace the leafs as mine look like flattened W's.

After many hours of research I have concluded that the OME Light duty 3" lift would be great, but damn that is expensive. around $900 (need coils, leafs, and shocks)

I see the Rustys 3" kit has 150lbs coils (stocks are 140lbs) (most kits have 220-240lb coils {so a harsh ride}) and a softer rear leaf. no info on the shocks they offer with the kit. all this for $500

as of now im thinking ill go with the Rustys light duty kit...

ANY input is welcome (unless you want to tell me not to run wheel spacers) just putting this out there as i think thru a 3" lift.

Thanks All.

post #2 of Old 01-15-2016, 10:12 AM
bobthecatkiller
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough but I haven't heard anything bad about zone much less that they are harsh.

I thought Rusty's was OK until I saw the shipping prices lol maybe it's changed since the last time I visited their site which was years ago.

Cheap and good ride don't go together.
Maybe get some new leafs out back and spacers up front. Then concentrate on some really good shocks.

"****, I might **** around and bring the Jeep back No doors on it, flexin' with the seat back"
post #3 of Old 01-15-2016, 10:18 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Rubicon Express rides nice. You choice of shocks will make a huge difference in the ride. I prefer Doetsch Tech DT3000. www.doetsch-shocks.com

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #4 of Old 01-15-2016, 10:54 AM
axlaxl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My vote is go with the Rusty's kit and call it a day...if I had to do it over again that is what i'd do...my needs are similar to yours, not a DD, mostly dirt/sand trails when off road, no rock climbing or hard core wheeling.

I'm running Rusty's 3" front springs and LCA along with Skyjacker shocks and it is quite a smooth ride IMHO...the pot hole scarred streets of NYC gives it enough of a test ground...running a Dorman Med Duty leaf spring set up with 2" shackles in the rear (which I now regret)...next upgrade is the Rusty's 3" rear leafs as thus far their products have worked out well for me.

Just my humble 1/50th of a buck, YMMV.
post #5 of Old 01-15-2016, 12:41 PM
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

What you are using your XJ for mirrors what I use mine for. Hunting. Long ride on the interstate then off onto washboarded washed out roads in river bottoms.

I think I made a mistake and replaced my coils and leafs with the HD versions. Now the ride is rough. The time it is the most comfortable is when I am pulling my big boat. With the load it seems to lessens the harshness somewhat.

I did a cobbled together 3" lift. I bought coils, leafs, shocks, and steering dampner all seperate and used an add a leaf, track bar relocation bracket, and a transmission drop to get it complete.

If I had it to do over I would buy a kit and get progressive rate coils and better riding leafs, whatever that would be.
post #6 of Old 01-15-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Thewiltz
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Called Rustys, the rear leaf 3" is 210lbs. For comparison: OME offers some at 148lbs and 137/257lbs overload. From interweb info "standard duty" stock leafs are 405lbs and with HD going form 575lbs to 755lbs.

I think you can get a good ride and not spend a fortune it you pick the right parts. Soft springs and good shocks are the key, from what I'm reading.

FWIW: Coils
RE 3.5" - 240#
BDS 3" - 240# (zone)
OME 934 -180#
Rustys 3" - 150#
stock - 140#

the problem with rusty 3" lift seams to be the shocks. Will look into Tim's suggestion on shocks and see what i can get from rustys without shocks.

thanks for all the input so for, keep it coming.
post #7 of Old 01-15-2016, 03:19 PM
bluejunior
Hold my beer

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I hear good things about Zone, if you want to get a complete (ish) kit that's an excellent place to start. They're owned by BDS so you know the springs are good. Not sure who handles their shocks.

The suggestions from the others are all good, depending on what you like the look and price of.

I'd add that if you are sensitive the the ride, you should replace your control arm bushings, shackle/leaf bushings and your sway links and bushings. These have much more impact on NVH than many realize. Some of those may happen as a matter of course during your lift, if it comes with new LCA's or extended sway links for example, so get your parts list for those together after you choose your kit/parts list.

A few things to have a heads up on at 3" because not all kits include them (in fact most don't, especially budget ones like Zone):
1) Sway links. TJ links are about perfect for 3" lifted XJ, cheaper than aftermarkets and have the appropriate jogover in them. Good solution there.
2) Brake lines: if you're doing more than dirt roads you probably want longer brake lines. YJ lines are cheap and a good length for the front, and a YJ or Dakota line works well in the rear.
3) TC drop: If you're not clearing obstacles you don't need an SYE at 3" (I probably will get flamed for that), and you may not need a TC drop, but read up on what it is, what it solves and be aware.
4) Adjustable track bar: This you do need, redrilling or relocation brackets are just stop-gaps to let you spread out the expenses a bit.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened
Build
post #8 of Old 01-15-2016, 04:53 PM
muttly
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Check out Skyjacker.Mine rides nice,not 100% sure but I believe their springs are progressive rate.

3 inch lift,,31 in.Pro Comp Xtreme AT,
post #9 of Old 01-15-2016, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Thewiltz
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttly View Post
Check out Skyjacker.Mine rides nice,not 100% sure but I believe their springs are progressive rate.
from what i can find Skyjacker has 218# springs. cant tell if this is the soft ride or the what ever other ride they offer.
post #10 of Old 01-15-2016, 10:37 PM
boykinjw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have an OME medium duty that I picked up from Dirk at DPG offroad and I love the ride. It's expensive but this my DD and expedition vehicle so the ride was important. I think Rubicon Express would have been a close second for me to purchase. Also look at iron rock offroad.

2005 WK Hemi QDII
1999 XJ OME MD, 245/75/16 ST MAXX, ARB Bull Bar, Aussie Locker F&R
post #11 of Old 01-16-2016, 05:08 PM
bryanintowson
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Went with the 3" sport lift from skyjacker. It's a firm ride but smooth. I needed a 5/16" transfer case drop which skyjacker said I shouldn't but I got some driveline vibrations probably due to the loft being higher than 3" until the springs settle in.

1992 Cherokee Laredo - Current
2002 Wrangler Sport - SOLD
post #12 of Old 01-16-2016, 10:05 PM
bluejunior
Hold my beer

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanintowson View Post
Went with the 3" sport lift from skyjacker. It's a firm ride but smooth. I needed a 5/16" transfer case drop which skyjacker said I shouldn't but I got some driveline vibrations probably due to the loft being higher than 3" until the springs settle in.
Hope you enjoy it!

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened
Build