3" lift, bump stop questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-15-2016, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Thewiltz
1996 XJ Cherokee 

3" lift, bump stop questions

hello all,

will be installing a 3" Rusty's lift this week, hopefully. While preparing for the install I noticed that all my bump stops are missing. For the rear I'll probably just wait till after the install to see what i need.

For the front I do not what to have to take it apart again to install bump stops.
For a 3" lift, would i need anything other that stock bump stops?

Also, how do they install?

Thanks,
Wiltz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-15-2016, 09:47 AM
bluejunior
Hold my beer

2001 XJ Cherokee 

They just press into those columns inside the coils you'll probably have to dig the remnants of the old ones out. Most large 4x4 joints, like 4wheelparts stores or truck toys, will have at least a pair on the shelf since it's the same ones TJ's use. They're usually 20-25$ a pair for the front. I'd recommend getting extended ones. If you find it's too much it's pretty easy to fit a hacksaw between the loops of the coil after and take an inch off. If you get ones that are too short there's plenty of options but you'll have to remove the coils to put them in place.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-15-2016, 10:06 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

At 3 inches of lift, you will very likely need longer than stock bump stops. Flex out your new suspension and add the necessary bump stop length for your specific needs. You can glue a hockey puck to the front axle bump stop pad, and use rectangular steel tube and longer bolts for spacers in the rear. Daystar makes longer than stock replacement poly bump stops.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-16-2016, 04:29 AM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with CJ7-Tim, but with a difference. I suggest looking in Granger catalog, or another source, and buying a 12 x 12 sheet of their softest durometer rubber. It's still firm enough, yet soft enough too. It can be purchased in 1/2", 3/4", 1", and possibly thicker. You can also make it thicker by using more than one layer of it.

Use a stationary band saw to cut two round hockey puck shaped circles of rubber for your front.

Remove a rear bumpstop and use it to trace a pattern on the rubber sheet. Use band saw to cut two rear pieces of rubber for your rear. Drill out holes in the rubber for bolt holes to go through. The rubber you cut will be a shim that goes between your frame and your rear bumpstop.
You'll need longer bolts when you remount your rear bumpstops. I recommend stainless steel bolts.
Flex/droop front to spread out the spring coils to give you easier access. Clean mounting surface on axle housing. Then glue your round rubber pads place using gutter sealant.

For the rear just place the rubber shim between frame and bumptstop and bolt to frame.

You're done!

The beauty of this method is it extends your bumpstops and adds some extra cushioning when bumpstops get hit. You can feel the extra comfort on big bumps. I do.

Note: If the bumpstops get a hard hit, the rubber shim/pad will compress up to 1/4". So use 1/4" thicker rubber than you would have used if your shim was a hard material.

I'd like to say I invented this since I'm the first I know of at this forum to use this method of bumpstop extension, but I have to admit that I learned of it from another Jeeper at another forum. I tried it and it works great. For extension more than 1" I'd suggest using a layer of hard plastic at mounting surface, and then a layer of rubber on top of that.

Warning: I often edit my posts a few times to get them complete, or to correct errors.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-16-2016, 04:32 AM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you want some additonal cushioning for hard bumps, buy Crown bumpstops from Quadratec. They are same size and shape as the hard stock OEM bumpstops, but the Crown bumpstops are made of cushy rubber.

I don't normally buy Chinese parts, but in this case the Chinese/Crown improved on the original Mopar bumpstops.

You could use Crown rear bumpstops with no extra hassle since you have to remove your stock rear bumpstops anyway.

If you ever remove your front springs for any reason, you could put some Crown front bumpstops in too.

Warning: I often edit my posts a few times to get them complete, or to correct errors.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-16-2016, 04:36 AM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

P.S. - Any left over rubber should be stored in a cool dark place so that it doesn't deteriorate over time. That way any left overs will still be good for another project in the future, even years later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.