3" Bastard Pack, which leafs of an S10? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 3" Bastard Pack, which leafs of an S10?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

3" Bastard Pack, which leafs of an S10?

I am trying to find a 3" lift for cheap, and I think I want to do a S10 (or similar leaf) bastard pack. There's a junkyard a few towns north that must have every vehicle ever made (their junk yard is like 10 acres) and they have every part usually in their warehouse.

So if I want 3" i know I will want to add the main leaf, but from what I have searched through, that only gives ~2", correct me if I am wrong, and if I am right what else do I add.

As for the rest of the 3" I was thinking 3" coils, shocks and maybe a steering stabilizer all from rustys.

Oh and my stock leaf packs are sagging about an inch

4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.
www.maine4x4.org Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
1996BlackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

If the main leaf on your stock pack is bent over the end 1", the Bastard pack might not work.

If this yard has a LOT of jeep vehicles, I woudl suggest this:

S10 packs. You just nee dthe mains from these packs.
MJ (Jeep comanche pickup) rear shakle.

That combo in the rear will give about 3-3.5" of lift depending on the condition of the S10 packs mains.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
sbs10v8
1991 XJ Cherokee 

i just put s10 leafs in the back of mine and used this order xj main-s10 main-xj second- s10 second- s10 third- s10 overload... and it netted me about 4.5 inches in the rear. i know that doesn't really help you that much but atleast you know not to put those leaves in.
sbs10v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My rear leafs are flat, not inverted (yet) so I should be ALRIGHT for the time being, in the future (8-12mo) I may just buy new 3" XJ packs regardless of the condition of the bastard pack (unless they are holding up perfectly)

Thanks for the help, doing this should save me around $200 on my lift.
4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.
www.maine4x4.org Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
Unread 08-22-2008, 10:53 PM   #5
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I helped a member here build a set using just the S10 mains and his netted a hair under 3" of lift. With luck the mains will be all you need.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I asked my brother about it and he said its too much work, that I need to rivet the leafs and what not. Is it true that I can just put it in there and use some new brackets or whatever they are called and be fine, or do I have to be all fancy like my brother says?

Thanks
Oh and my brother is in college to be a machinist and my dads a machinist so I got help from them if I need it lol.
Unread 08-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
danw77
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here is a WORKING link to a PDF of the S-10 BB on NAXJA that is linked in the stickies.

http://webpages.charter.net/laurajef...0_pack_PDF.pdf

This should help you out too.

http://fitchva.com/jeep/?p=56

he uses another jeep main to get 2" but using the S-10 main instead shoul dget you around 3" like baloo said.
Unread 08-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #8
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Cool! That first pdf is extremely thorough and tells me everything (I hope) I need to know. It looks easier than I thought, now to find some packs, some spare time, and some elbow grease. School is starting tuesday, and with football too, I think time will be the limiting factor lol.

Thanks for the help guys!
Unread 08-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
HeepToJeep
1982 CJ8 

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showpost....98&postcount=3

Wm
HeepToJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #10
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeepToJeep View Post
Looks interesting but I would rather just pay $100 for new XJ 3" coils then try to find some of those T-bird used coils and have to still pay probably $35+ for em, not knowing how well they will ride.

Leaf springs are the most expensive part of a 3" lift, thats why I want to do some bastard packs.
Unread 08-24-2008, 10:33 PM   #11
HeepToJeep
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93 View Post
MJ (Jeep comanche pickup) rear shakle.
Have any idea what the MJ shackle measurements are or what amount of lift they offer? I snagged mine from a mid 90s fullsize GM pickup because they're heavier built and add roughly 1.5in

Wm
HeepToJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #12
Mr_Random
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeepToJeep View Post
Have any idea what the MJ shackle measurements are or what amount of lift they offer? I snagged mine from a mid 90s fullsize GM pickup because they're heavier built and add roughly 1.5in

Wm
1.5" longer than the XJ shackle? I'm only basing that off of the 3/4" of lift you can supposedly get from them, you know; 1" = 1/2" of lift when it comes to shackles.

oh and I forgot to say that adding leafs shouldn't be too hard, doing it the "right" way would require finding a leaf spring bolt, but I just took some grade 8 bolts of the correct length, ground the sharp edges of the head a little, and torqued it down! Works perfectly, will never break, and fit right into the little hole on the spring perch, haha.
I live with in an hour of the coast so getting sea foam is easy, but isnt the salt bad for the fuel system??? and how about the people that live farther away can you just foam up water and sea salt ??? if so what kind of mix do I use ??? 1table spoon to a gal of water??? and then how do I "foam it up" mabe a little soap????
Jeepus buildicus:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/86-xj-w-mpi-budget-re-build-757079/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
Using pure N2 is a total waste of money considering you can get 78% nitrogen for free.
Mr_Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2008, 11:53 PM   #13
CKUPQ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996BlackXJ View Post
I am trying to find a 3" lift for cheap, and I think I want to do a S10 (or similar leaf) bastard pack. There's a junkyard a few towns north that must have every vehicle ever made (their junk yard is like 10 acres) and they have every part usually in their warehouse.

So if I want 3" i know I will want to add the main leaf, but from what I have searched through, that only gives ~2", correct me if I am wrong, and if I am right what else do I add.

As for the rest of the 3" I was thinking 3" coils, shocks and maybe a steering stabilizer all from rustys.

Oh and my stock leaf packs are sagging about an inch
Here is my recommendation for bastard back. I did this with a 3 leaf pack w/overload. I am very happy with this setup and I didn't need spring retainers. I just bent the old retainers straight, drilled them after I got them back together and cut off the excess. I've seen people cut them off only to replace them with cheap sheet metal crap.

My stackup

XJ Main
S-10 3leaf pack main
S-10 3leaf pack Intermediate
S-10 3leaf pack small with retainers bent straight up and drilled for 5/16" cross bolts
XJ small Leaf
CKUPQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #14
XJoutlaw

saving this
XJoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 02:05 AM   #15
Ibnzmonkey
2002 KJ Liberty 

Ibnzmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.