3.5 RE lift start / stop vibrations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 3.5 RE lift start / stop vibrations

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
kaktus
1998 XJ Cherokee 

3.5 RE lift start / stop vibrations

After I installed my RE 3.5 lift with full leafs I started to get start and stop vibrations. I only have vibrations / low growling noise at around 5 mph than they go away. It's really annoying when I'm doing city driving. Its really loud in the cab.

So far I have:

-Installed SYE used front drive shaft from a XJ replaced all U JOINTS
-Installed 4 degree shim's did not work
-installed 4 degree shims with 1' inch transfer case drop
-tried 6 degree shims
-tried 6 degree shims with transfer case drop
-Replaced all fluids in diffs and transfer case/tranny
-Replaced transmission mount.
-Removed front driveshaft/ noise is defiantly coming from the rear.

The 3.5 RE full leafs I put on make my jeep sit high in the rear right now after finding my angles I need a 6" degree shim to be 1' degree under.

Any other idea's? I have a 8.25 rear diff this is on a 98 Cherokee without ABS

kaktus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

6* of shim seems like an excessive amount for 3.5" of lift. If you have an SYE you do not need any amount of T-Case drop. Have you tried swapping the front and rear driveshafts ?

Where approximately, is this noise coming from ? Is your exhaust system touching anywhere ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have a 2° shim on my 4.5 lift and it's buttery smooth. The pinion is a bit low so I'm switching to a 4° soon.

Drive shaft vibrations are usually very strongly felt, not a grind.
Unread 11-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
kaktus
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I thought 6* shim was aggressive to that's why I started with 4* shim. When I measure I'm about 1* down with 6* if I put 4* shim on I'm 3* degree down. Honestly I didn't feel a difference between 4* and 6* just 6* makes the driveshaft straighter towards transfer case. I can not put front drive shaft on as my SYE is flange style and my driveshaft needs to connect to a flange not a yoke and only my rear driveshaft is setup to do so. Yes I also thought I did not need a transfercase drop if I have a SYE but if I take transferscase drop off I start get vibes at 50+? So I know something's not right? I was getting ONLY low speed vibes before SYE as well so I installed SYE to try and get rid of the vibrations and nothing changed. Its a really low deep sound honestly it sounds like I have a subwoofer in my jeep than it instantly disappears when I go above 5 mph. It really sounds like it has to do something with the rear part of the jeep. I have brand new MT tires I have tried them at every air pressure possible but still no luck.

Unread 11-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

3° down sounds good for leaf springs.

I wish we could hear/feel what you're describing.
Unread 11-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Me too.

MT's will growl/rumble at low speeds, but you feel it more than you hear it.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
kaktus
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It could very possibly be my MT's. This is my first time owning MT's so I guess I don't know what to expect. My MT are quite on the freeway just when I'm coming to a stop or taking off from a stop. Right around 5 mph I hear the noise and feel slight vibrations in my jeep. Its really just the noise the bothers me the most. If I take off quick and stop quick I don't hear it.
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Could you swap wheels/tires with someone that have At's for a day or two .
At least ya might be able to see if its those.

I have a noise kinda similar but its at 40mph. I did a axle swap from my YJ and the gears are set up one-thousants too tight (still in spec) . Didn't hear it while under the YJ but Im told unidodys are more sensitive to certain kind of vibrations/frequencys . So next spring im getting the rear rebuilt. I just ignor it for now.
Modstock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #9
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Try loosening the bolts for the rear shackles, then get a friend and yourself and bounce the rear of the truck by standing on the rear bumper and jumping on it. Re torque the shackle and see what happens.
Unread 01-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
kaktus
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Update: I bought a toms wood shaft. That fixed all my freeway vibrations and is extremely smooth now. Well worth the money. I was even able to take off my SYE. I still have this low speed/rumble when I start and stop. I tried shackle thing. Still no luck.
Unread 01-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #11
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaktus View Post
Update: I bought a toms wood shaft. That fixed all my freeway vibrations and is extremely smooth now. Well worth the money. I was even able to take off my SYE. I still have this low speed/rumble when I start and stop. I tried shackle thing. Still no luck.
You 'took off' your sye? Those are installed inside a transfer case... you sure?

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #12
kaktus
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I took my Transfercase drop off lol. Not my SYE.
Unread 01-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #13
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post
I have a 2° shim on my 4.5 lift and it's buttery smooth. The pinion is a bit low so I'm switching to a 4° soon.

Drive shaft vibrations are usually very strongly felt, not a grind.
Um, if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaktus View Post
My KM2's cause a low speed ...grumble... kinda noise and a faint feeling like I'm driving on a cobble stone road.

If that's all you're feeling then you probably needn't worry about it.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2014, 03:02 AM   #14
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
IMO there is no way the 5mph rumble/ vibes are from your driveline. Apart from the engine/ tranny, the RPMs on the driveline (driveshafts, tires, axle shafts, etc.) you see at those speeds are so low you won't be getting vibes from them even if they were out of whack.

I'm guessing it's the MTs you're driving, or a resonation from somewhere (exhaust, etc.) that causes the annoying sound.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #15
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23
Um, if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it ...
I almost always agree with that but with a bad pinion angle I'm taking miles off the life of those U joints.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.