2wd steering feels like 4wd steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2wd steering feels like 4wd steering

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 11-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
nyaben
2000 XJ Cherokee 

2wd steering feels like 4wd steering

Have had mine off road a little more recently (using 4wd) and my steering wheel now feels stiff on pavement in 2wd much like it does in 4wd. I wonder if it only partially disengaged? Has anyone else had a problem like this? I got in a tough place between a steep incline and a creek and had to go lock-to-lock multiple times while in 4wd. Other than that, nothing really out of the ordinary. Thanks!

nyaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Is it in 4wd or not ? Find some sand, gravel, dirt, or grass and do burn-out. How many tires spin ? If only two, you probably need a new front axle u-joint.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
nyaben
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I don't understand this would affect steering? I definitely have power to all 4 wheels.
Unread 11-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Are you saying that 4x4 is still engaged and will not disengage ? Or are you saying that the steering wheel wiggles in 2wd ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 11-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
nyaben
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have the NP-231 transfer case. 4x4 disengages, wheel wiggles in 2wd. That's the perfect wording for it.
Unread 11-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

The automatic hubs may have not disengaged after you took it out of 4WD. The old school remedy is to just drive it in reverse about 15 feet or more in 2WD and that should unlock them. Just an idea.
Unread 11-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyaben View Post
.... wheel wiggles in 2wd. That's the perfect wording for it.
If the steering wheel wiggles in 2wd, especially in tight slow speed turns, you most likely have a u-joint problem. Buy good quality u-joints like Spicer or the premium NAPA brand joints or you will be replacing u-joints again in a year or two.

Late model Jeeps, XJ, ZJ, TJ, YJ, WJ, with the Dana 30 front axle do not have locking hubs of any type.

Unread 11-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
nyaben
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Good to know about the Spicer u-joints. I don't have the means or the know-how to possibly replace it myself. Any idea of how much the labor on this job normally costs?
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Prices vary. Find a trusted independent repair shop or a good 4x4 shop. Get several estimates. The Dealership charges too much for everything.

You could buy/rent the necessary tools and there are plenty of You-Tube videos and Jeep Forum write-ups to show you all the steps. The money you save not paying a shop to do the work will buy your tools, which you can use again on the next repair.

Unread 11-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #10
nyaben
2000 XJ Cherokee 

All sounds good. I'm a student home for Thanksgiving and will need to take it back to school before I can think about having it looked at. Is it pretty safe to drive for the time-being or is this a pretty immediate need?
Unread 11-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #11
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Inspect both u-joints near the front tires. If they are not loose and rattling around, you can probably drive on road, in 2wd, for several months.

Tags
4wd , 4x4 , cherokee , steering

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.