2WD/RWD Turning Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2WD/RWD Turning Issue

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
BigLicksXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

2WD/RWD Turning Issue

Hi my 2000 XJ has been having some strange turning issue that I can't seem to figure out .I've got a few ideas but I'm looking for more ideas. Here's the issue: When I'm in 2WD/RWD
and traveling at low speeds (less than 20mph) and at or near opposite lock it will "hop" or lurch side to side and make a little bit of noise (the best I could describe it) Plus if I'm not on the throttle it will almost stop the Jeep

PS I've changed my Front diff fluid and my T-Case Fluid so far.

Unread 03-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Are you certain that your T case is not stuck in 4WD might want to get in some grass or mud and punch it while having a friend watch to see of either front tire spins.
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
BigLicksXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think it could be the cause I swear the T-Case makes noise even after I take it out of 4WD
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildin1XJ View Post
Are you certain that your T case is not stuck in 4WD might want to get in some grass or mud and punch it while having a friend watch to see of either front tire spins.
Jackstands probably work too.
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Any way you go about it you need to find out for certain whether or not you are stuck in 4wd before you destroy your T case. Right now it might be as simple as an adjustment, or damaged linkage.
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
BigLicksXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do you know where I can find a linkage if its damaged?
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

JY or watch CL for someone parting one out. Many times all it need is to be adjusted.
Unread 03-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Most likely the 4x4 shifter mechanism is out of adjustment, or your front axle u-joints are worn out.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
toaster
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Could this be a problem simply because of the solid front axle design? My dad's 2wd Cherokee does this on tight turns, my wife's does it and her shift linkage is stuck (bracket on tunnel rusted and linkage doesn't move anything) in 2wd AND no front driveshaft, and mine does it.

I only ask because two of the three Jeeps I drive on a regular basis they all have the same problem and three different configurations of vehicle (technically).
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #10
BigLicksXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Possibly, a guy from the local Jeep Dealership said when he drove it in to the service area it did feel a little choppy

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.