230K, bad idea for Trans Fluid swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 230K, bad idea for Trans Fluid swap?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 11-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

230K, bad idea for Trans Fluid swap?

The GF's XJ has 232K on it. I seriously doubt the transmission has ever had its fluid changed. I believe its an AW4, but not sure. Can anyone tell me?

I read it is better NOT to change the fluid/filter in it after it has been that long without a fluid change. Can it do more bad than good? It does not slip, but does shift rather rough from 5th-4th (or 4th-3rd), not sure if these are 4-5 speeds.

evan1395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1395 View Post
The GF's XJ has 232K on it. I seriously doubt the transmission has ever had its fluid changed. I believe its an AW4, but not sure. Can anyone tell me?

I read it is better NOT to change the fluid/filter in it after it has been that long without a fluid change. Can it do more bad than good? It does not slip, but does shift rather rough from 5th-4th (or 4th-3rd), not sure if these are 4-5 speeds.
With 232,000 miles on it that AW4 doesn't owe anybody anything. Just drain the pan (around 3-4 quarts) and refill the amount you drained with fresh ATF. Repeat the drain/refill process several times over about 500-1,000 miles.

Recommend Dexron III/Mercon (DEX/MERC) ATF

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If your Jeep was on fire, would think about not putting out the fire because you didn't want to get the seats wet ? Even if the trans fluid has not been changed in a lonnnnnng time, you should get that old and contaminated fluid out and put in some fresh fluid. The AW-4 automatic transmission uses Dexron-III/Mercon fluid. I would drop the pan, and change the filter, however some consider a new filter optional. Then, for the next 4-6 weeks drain 3-4 quarts from the pan using the drain plug. A week later do that again. When the drained look like the fresh fluid you are done.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
[snip]
What you read about was probably "power flushing". There is lots of anecdotal evidence that it's a "bad thing" to do...

Is your GF the original owner? If not, how long has she owned it?
And how bad DOES the fluid look?

Either do a normal service as previously described, or some people talk about a technique where you pull the output line and have it dump into a bucket while you run the engine and feed new fluid into the dipstick tube until the output is clean.
But you'd still want to pull the pan and clean or replace the filter...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have a question, how do you know you are replacing the correct amount of fluid? Is there a simple way of knowing how much is drained and how much to add if I buy a gallon of Dex/Merc?
JBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

So simply dropping the pan, changing the filter and re-filling with fresh dex/merc a couple times will be harmless?
You said the pan holds around 3-4 quarts?
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

sAe23, my GF is not the original owner. The guy she bought it off of was some little dweeb we had gone to high school with who knew NOTHING about cars. I dont know how long he had prior to us buying off him. But I can almost guarantee no maintenance was done to a single component on this poor old XJ
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
So simply dropping the pan, changing the filter and re-filling with fresh dex/merc a couple times will be harmless?
"So simply dropping the pan"

LOL

Wait until you try to seperate the dipstick tube inorder to get the pan out. You'll want to come back here and kick someones arse.

I'm not big on changing the filter because of the devil tube and feel it is best to just leave it be and just drain and refill the tranny.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlue View Post
I have a question, how do you know you are replacing the correct amount of fluid? Is there a simple way of knowing how much is drained and how much to add if I buy a gallon of Dex/Merc?
You add fluid and check the dipstick (following normal procedures). Just don't over fill it.

Quote:
*Should* be harmless...
A couple of years ago I was told I needed to re-build my transmission to fix an intermittent shifting issue.
I told them to just do a fluid change and it's been "ok" since then (it's not in *perfect* condition, but it works for me and I'm closing in on 400K miles!).

By the way, to answer a question in your initial post, the AW4 has 4 gears (1-2, 3, OD) plus TC lockup.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlue View Post
Get an empty milk jug. Using a measuring container that is graduated off in quarts, like for cooking, fill the milk jug with water one quart at a time, and at each quart measure mark the jug. In the end the jug will have 4 quart measures.

Drain the tranny to a pan then transfer the drained ATF to the graduated milk jug. There you can see how much you've drained, and need to refill. Fluid level between the quart marks is a eduacated guess.

Regardless, you will aways be required to check the fluid level using the procedure outlined in your owner's manual to make sure you have the proper fill.

Edit: I would recommend getting quart containers of ATF instead of a gallon jug. It makes it easier to meter out the ATF back into the tranny, unless of course you want to ruin your wife's kitchen measure that you used before (like I did) to measure out the new ATF.. LOL

Unread 11-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
skip11and1
2013 MK Patriot 

drain and pour what was drained into the milk jug and mark the level. Dump it out and refill fresh fluid to the mark and pour back in the trans. Make sure the trans level is good first.
2005 WK, v6 QT1 (girlfriends)
skip11and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

May want to do some research, when I got my '98, seemed I read more then one article that said the transmission didn't have a servicable filter and there was no reason to drop the pan, just drain, using the plug, and refill, 3 times.
Trons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons View Post
May want to do some research, when I got my '98, seemed I read more then one article that said the transmission didn't have a servicable filter and there was no reason to drop the pan, just drain, using the plug, and refill, 3 times.
That's my understanding also. However the filter that is inside is very easy to get to once the pan is removed. New filters can be bought. I've also came across those.who removed the filter and soaked it in solvent too clean it.
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

There is a filter that is replaceable when you drop the pan - it is a screen filter that can be either cleaned or replaced. Many people do NOT replace it based on the fact that is involves dropping the pan and it is not a paper/cloth filter that can clog with fine particles.

The milk jug is a ridiculous idea - drain the pan, replace the drain plug, add 3 quarts and drive it around the block, then top off and monitor over the next day or so when you have the tranny up to full operating temperature.

You do not want to overfill the transmission - it can foam the fluid creating slippage and can blow out the front seal very easily and cause it to leak.

It would be better to be underfilled a bit for a day assuming you're not going on a road trip then over filled at all.
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #15
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The mileage won't hurt anything. I have 270k on mine and did a fluid change just before a 575 mi trip, 240 of that in the dirt. No issues, but, the fluid was clean looking when I drained it and I do not know the history of the truck.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.