2004 Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak w/ (Video) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2004 Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak w/ (Video)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
slindsey3000
2004 FSJ Cherokee 

2004 Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak w/ (Video)

Hi all!

[EDIT] OK... see my replay about 8 down... How much will this cost to do??? [EDIT]

[Original]
Love my jeep and this forum! Can anyone help with what might be going on here and
how it needs to be fixed?

I have been topping off coolant for a few years, seems like there has always been some kind of SLOW leak... now however the leak is very noticeable.

Here is video.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Shawn

Last edited by slindsey3000; 04-23-2012 at 06:46 PM..
slindsey3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
blue96jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

well in order for you to pinpoint the leak you need to pressure test the system. But by judging where it leaking from I'm going to guess its the water pump.
blue96jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
chiefbill1959
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Agree, waterpump. I have just gone thru my whole cooling system and replaced everything but the heater core. I didn't just throw money at it, I checked everything out and being as the Jeep has 215,xxx, I was having some overheating issues and did have some leaks. In fact I had to replace 4 out of the 5 freeze out plugs on the side of the block. But do some testing as blue96jeep said. Looking at it can be difficult to actually see it leaking but from where it is dripping I would go with the water pump too.
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like the pump to me also, but I would get in there with a good light and make sure. If it is coming from the weep hole in the bottom of the waterpump it won't last much longer. It would be best to swap it out before it goes out and leaves you stranded with an overheated engine.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Shawn...

Looks like a water pump to me. I would get ready to do the full cooling system and fan clutch while you are at it. Not too pricey fi you do it yourself, and its a simple job with standard tools.

BTW, thats a Grand Cherokee... wrong forums. But welcome to the boards!

Unread 04-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The t-stat is almost in the way of changing the water pump.....why not change them both.....I mean it does run down hill, no? Coolant leaks r not to be neglected.
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
chiefbill1959
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Like Azzy said, go ahead and do as much as the $$$ will let you do, but atleast the pump and thermostat. They are right there together and as they said, it is not that hard to do at all.
Unread 04-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

And your radiator and hoses, probably original, will be in teh next round of "look ma! I'm a sprinkler!"
Unread 04-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
slindsey3000
2004 FSJ Cherokee 

OK wow thanks for the answers. You all seem to agree!

How much will a shop charge to do this work? Give me your best guess to change the water pump, hoses, and thermostat?

Just a ballpark figure would be great... assume nothing crazy turns up... just what is talked about here.

Thanks!
Shawn
slindsey3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Dunno... Probably too much. If you take your time with basic hand tools, you are looking at probably $200 in parts and fluid to do it yourself.

I can pull a rad and pump, and reverse in 2 hours, but I've done it a few times.

Tags
2004 , cherokee , coolant , jeep , leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.