2001 XJ Rear Brake Drum Adjustment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2001 XJ Rear Brake Drum Adjustment

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
who_datjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

2001 XJ Rear Brake Drum Adjustment

I just got my front rotors replaced, pads replaced, rear drums machined and new shoes. The Jeep doesn't stop as quickly as it used to and the e brake has to be pulled all the way up for it to stay put. I saw there was a plug on the bottom of the drum that has an adjustment star wheel. Which way do I need to turn for tightening and which way for loosening. I don't think the self adjuster works. I don't want to over tighten the shoes but I would like for the rear brakes to be a little more responsive and for the e brake to actually work. Any help would be appreciated.

who_datjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Put it all together. Pull ebrake up 2 clicks. Jack stand both rear wheels. On the inside of the brake drum at bottom there should be a rubber flat plug (or a flat hole if missing). Spin the tires and Put a flathead screwdriver in and push on the bottom of the wheel (it will want to on its own if you push in pretty straight). Keep clicking until you hear the rear drag. Go inside let down ebrake and spin the rear wheels. They should JUST BARELY stop dragging.
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.