2001 xj opinion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2001 xj opinion

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
kobrien

2001 xj opinion

Im in the market for an XJ because my Dak bit the dust a couple weeks ago.. I drove by carmart a little while ago and saw this jeep there. What i know from just looking at it. it is a 2001 Sport. has almost brand new Discoverer ATR tires which are small.. they are 215's. paint looks really good there is some scratches here and there which im not worried about. there is a little bit of surface rust on it. looks like the trip might have fallen off on the driver side door so the PO put some drywall screws on it to fix it (stupid) It looks like it leaks oil but the only place i can figure is from the drain plug (easy fix) in between the tranny and the oil pan is a little bit of oil and i think that might have happened because the drain plug is leaking and when driving and the oil blows up on to it from the wind (sound possible?) I couldn't actually look at the motor because the jeep was locked. if someone knows how to get the hood up without going inside that's be awesome to know! from what i could find out is in Dec it had 77K miles on it. the way i found that out was i could see the oil change sticker and it was dated for 12/6/10 and it said 77,111 so probably close to 80K by now. I went to KBB it says suggested retail is $8550, does this look like a 8500 jeep to yall? but sorry for the long post... here are pictures of it.

kobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The reason it has rust on the right rear and RTV around the side window is because it was in a major accident and the the same Bubba that put drywall screws in the trim did the body work on the crash damage. Run away, far, far, away from this one.

If you get close to the rain drip rail on the roof and sight down it, it should have the same shape on both sides of the Jeep. Any waves or other deviations from a smooth profile are not good.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldnt pay even close to 8500 for that, and i doubt the oil plug is leaking, sounds like a rear main seal to me, which is a pita to fix, and too boot it has a d35 rear axle

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
egodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

offer them 100, then run away, like tim said
Shanker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
kobrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
The reason it has rust on the right rear and RTV around the side window is because it was in a major accident and the the same Bubba that put drywall screws in the trim did the body work on the crash damage. Run away, far, far, away from this one.

If you get close to the rain drip rail on the roof and sight down it, it should have the same shape on both sides of the Jeep. Any waves or other deviations from a smooth profile are not good.
its sitting at carmart ill get the carfax from them and see what it says. if it was in an accident then yea ill walk away. but if it wasnt ill take it out for a spin and see how it feels and sounds.
Unread 02-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
kobrien

yall really think its in that bad of shape?
Unread 02-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Car Fax only works if you report an accident to the Insurance Company. If Bubba fixes his junk in front of the trailer house, Car Fax will never find out.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 02-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
kobrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Car Fax only works if you report an accident to the Insurance Company. If Bubba fixes his junk in front of the trailer house, Car Fax will never find out.
If it was in a major accident i dont think someone can fix it and make it look as good as it does. there isn't any visible dents, no creases, no ripples and all the body parts look like they are original to the jeep.
Unread 02-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

you'd be surprised what people can do. your asking our opinions and there they are, but see what they say if you want to
Shanker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #10
kobrien

i appreciate the comments. Just hard to believe thats what could be causing the little bit of surface rust under the gutters.
Unread 02-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
Libery098
1998 XJ Cherokee 

When I bought my second 98 xj I was very careful to inspect all of the mechanical aspects. And they were all great. However a few months later after using a pressure washer to clean off some mud the undercoating started to peel off. Then I discovered that the jeep had the passenger side smashed in. The whole rocker panel was bondo!
One of the front seat bolts were broken and the seatbelt was bolted on wrong. The car fax showed nothing! Just telling you to be aware of Bubba.
Libery098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
kobrien

Is there ways you can find out if there is a ton of bondo on it? If i knock on it will it not sound like sheet metal?
Unread 02-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

There is no reason for rust like that unless there is a problem. I have seen probably 200+ XJ's in the junkyards while looking for XJ parts and none of them had what that white XJ has. I have owned 5 Cherokees, 3 of them were wrecks that I fixed and sold. I have worked in an auto body shop. You can buy whatever Cherokee you like, it's all the same to me. I am just telling you, be suspicious of anything that is not right, like rust in weird places or RTV to hold in the window.

Unread 02-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #14
Wearingthin
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yea the faded trim on the drivers side doesn't match, meaning that the driver door probably isnt original, and from that same picture the drip rail looks wavy.

My Build Thread
Wearingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #15
bmac13sv
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Oil Leak = Rear main seal issues.

Rust everywhere....not good.

Price is ridiculously high

Whoever screwed the trim into the side of the Jeep obiously didnt care about it so it was probably neglected...

I would look for anothe XJ.....they made a lot more than this one. Not worth 10 seconds of anymore of your time my friend.
Jeep XJ. 3.5" Full spring pack Rusty's suspension. aFe cold air intake. 33x12.5x15" BFG TA KO's on Cragar Soft 8's. 60mm TB. JCR Offroad Stage 3 Front and Rear Bumpers. New 4.0L (victim of 0331 head). aFe cold air intake. Dynomax Catback.
BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/bmacs-2000-xj-build-1292498/
bmac13sv is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.