2001 xj heater issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2001 xj heater issue

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 11-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
derektrotter

2001 xj heater issue

i am having a problem with my jeep. the heater fan switch which controls the amount of heat that is blowin out will not blow. i have checked the fuses as well as changed the heater resister. i have checked the back of the climate control panel and cant seem to fine power to that switch(heater blower). also i tested the wires on the resister and seem to have no power to it any help would be nice

derektrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 03:18 AM   #2
residentg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If the Blower woks on #4, but not #1-2-3, then you probably need a new Blower Motor Resistor located under the glove box. It is the white thing in the middle of the photo. If the blower does not work at all, then check the 40Amp fuse in the engine compartment, the 15amp fuse inside the car and the blower relay (I am not sure where the relay is located).

residentg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 03:22 AM   #3
ktbubster
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I assumed that that he meant by heater resistor.... Is it just heat not coming in hot or the whole thing not blowing? Could need a whole new blower motor if not the resistor. .... Not sure about the lack of power.
ktbubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you need the wiring diagram for the blower circuit, PM me with your email address and I will send you a PDF of the schematic.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!

For Sale to Good Home---2000 XJ Factory Service Manual (Printed Version) PM for details.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
derektrotter

i will turn the knob and nothing will come out ktbubster an also #1234 do not work and all fuses are good and i already changed the Blower Motor Resistor as you suggested and the relay is actually right above the resistor kinda hidden but there. kinda leaning toward the heater motor but usually they always give you a warning before it stops any other ideas will be appreciated.

Last edited by derektrotter; 11-19-2011 at 10:28 PM..
derektrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Russ4L
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just finished a similar problem on my 2000 XJ. I had lost one blower speed months ago, then another, so when it quit working even on high speed, and I read up on it, I looked first at the resistors. When they checked OK, and so did the relay, and the motor ran fine when I touched a hot lead to the motor lead from the relay with the black and tan wire to the resistors grounded, it had to be the switch.

Took me a while to finally find some advice on how to access the control panel. The old Jeep still looks pretty good so I didn't want just tear the dash panels trying to get to the access. Turns out the surround just snaps in and out, after I spent a couple hours searching the net for the magic method.

Once that was out of the way, four screws and unplugging the connections to the backside put the control in my hands. The copper strips on the backside of the control panel that are supposed to remain electrically separated had accumulated enough of the factory dielectric grease that it had eventually filled the gaps between some of the strips.

I cleaned the whole area of grease, then re-applied a little of it very sparingly. Reassembled everything and it works just like brand new!

Two weeks of stumbling around learning about the whole system and messing with it in my spare time, and it would have been a half-hour job had I started on the right end and known how to access the panel.

Oh well, hope this helps someone else.
Russ4L is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.