2001 XJ boys.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 2001 XJ boys....

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-07-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
FlippinJeeps12

2001 XJ boys....

I have made the decision that it is time to lift my Jeep. I bought the XJ back in January and I have seen everyone else's jeeps around and i wanna lift it...ive been wheelin with my buddies. I would like to run 35's but im not sure what combination of stuff to get....can you guys with 35's help me out and tell me what you have with ur lift and stuff???

FlippinJeeps12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
Sierra Drifter
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlippinJeeps12
I have made the decision that it is time to lift my Jeep. I bought the XJ back in January and I have seen everyone else's jeeps around and i wanna lift it...ive been wheelin with my buddies. I would like to run 35's but im not sure what combination of stuff to get....can you guys with 35's help me out and tell me what you have with ur lift and stuff???

Well I have 2001 XJ with Rubicon Express 5.5" lift, RE HacknTap SYE, RE CV rear driveshaft, and I"m running 35 inch tires. This setup functions great on the trail.
I think RE's springs are a bit stiff so the on-road ride is a bit rough. Also I have to keep tightening the track bar frame mount, it seems to loosen and start making creaking/poping noises, I'm going to get it welded soon. I have never had death wobble or any steering issues. I do run a steering box brace, and will be adding the C-Rock steering box reinforcing plate soon.

I assume from what I've read that the long arm kits are superior for ride and flex, but they are pricey and I passed on them. I ran 33's for a year before regearing and experienced significant power loss, with 35's you will have to regear to 4.56.

Oh yeah, you will also have to trim your fenders and install correct bumpstops to run 35's.
Sierra Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
FlippinJeeps12

well i guess it would be a better idea to go with 33's first to get some experience...but my mind just keeps tellin me 35's but i appreciate the input...
Unread 07-07-2005, 04:52 PM   #4
Dannyboy18

Hell, I'd def. regear with 33s. After seeing what my 31s did to power and stuff, I couldn't stand a bigger tire on the stock 3.55 gears.

--Dan
AR Baja Alloy Wheels - 15x8 + Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/Ts - 31x10.50x15
TeraFlex Adj. Trackbar + TeraFlex Quick Disconnects & WARN T-case skid
Dannyboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 04:56 PM   #5
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Try 31's with 3.07 gears...ugh.

1999.5 Ford F250
6.8l V10 l Auto l 4WD l 4" Spring Lift | 4.30 Gears | 35" Treadwright MT/R's

Youtube

Twitter
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 08:17 PM   #6
MDP_JeepN

I would start out with a RE4.5 Lift per say, and run some 33's, that would give you a good size lift. Then if you want to go higher and run 35's, you could easily add a couple more inches with spacers.

www.redrock4x4.com has good deals.
MDP_JeepN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #7
burby
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlippinJeeps12
Here's a place to get a lot of answers for your questions: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/search.php Seriously, though, there are a TON of posts asking about 35's, etc and you'll find many people that say 1)it get's pretty expensive, and b)would suggest you start out with 31's on about 3" of lift before heading on up to 35's. What do I wheel on, you ask? Why 235's of course

Here's a (not necessarily complete) list of things you'll need to get started:

-Lift kit of your choice, either mix'n'match or complete kit. Kit will likely include new front coil springs and rear leaf packs, some combo of new upper/lower control arms.
-Shocks (some kits are not sold with shocks)
-brake lines
-trackbar upgrades (new bar and/or mount)
-extended sway bar mounts (for front, most ditch the rear after installing new rear leaf spring packs)
-SYE (slip yoke eliminator) or your choice; either a Hack'n'tap or an actual kit, plus a new CV rear drive shaft
-new gearing (and while you're in there, may as well throw in a locker or two! )
-Tires and wheels

HTH...
Unread 07-07-2005, 10:54 PM   #8
FlippinJeeps12

hey thanks guys i appreciate the help alot....i always like hearing suggestions
Unread 07-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #9
BrunoS

the forum has it right:

to keep overall street driveability with some aggressiveness, get:

1) 3" lift kit professionally installed. most 4x4 shops are happy to do this.

2) stick with 31" tires and no larger. this is the largest you can go, after that, like the forum says, you need to open the wallet fully and don't say stop.

3) personally, I think that 31" is about max for basic daily driving....my 3.07 gears and 5-speed acceleration is no problem...but my next tires will be 30"

4) 35" tires on street driving....is a bit extreme for an XJ....kinda like lowering a 'vette, or putting 27" rims on a suburban, or 200hp nitrous oxide boost kit in a dodge neon that has 190,000 miles on it with a rough idle.....

5) but if you do it, the 35"s would look killer! just remember to do the whole thing right!
Magnaflow Muffler / High-flo Cat / MSD Coil
BrunoS is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.